Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Milligan

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Question for you guys since you are fans of Milligan, what's your thoughts on Greek Street? I've been trying to read different Vertigo titles and this one came on the radar. There's not much talk about it from places I've been to so I'm not sure what to make of it. What you guys think?
    It was okay, I thought. A bit of a disappointment just because it's from Milligan. I was voracious reader of Greek Mythology when I was growing up, so I had already had an idea where the characters' stories were headed, which killed the suspense for me. Although, to be fair, I gave up around issue 7, so it may have improved somewhat or gone in different directions.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

You're going to get mixed reviews on Greek Street. It gets a lot of hate/disappointing feed, but there's quite some folks who loved it. I'd say a minority few. I'm part of the latter, I absolutely adored the book and thought it was fantastic, especially as a huge lover of Greek mythology. I never got to finish the whole series. I stopped around the Ajax/war story as my LCS stopped getting them.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Question for you guys since you are fans of Milligan, what's your thoughts on Greek Street? I've been trying to read different Vertigo titles and this one came on the radar. There's not much talk about it from places I've been to so I'm not sure what to make of it. What you guys think?
    Greek Street was Milligan in his wheelhouse. Like someone gave him free reign to do his own HBO series. I got the King Leon story around the same time, and GS was like its underbelly. Like he threw in a pinch of Hellblazer or something. It was very unique in its blend of crime and horror, and one of very few myth based stories I could stand, contemporary or not.

I'm not surprised at this point to hear people put down Gianfelice's work on the series, because for some reason through its life and after people have been very negative about the series. Well, see if this art puts you off. My LCS had to be forced to pull it for me, and when I fell out of comics, halfway through the run, it was canceled. I can imagine how rushed the ending was, but I'll get to it someday.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Thanks to Peter Milligan and Roberto Bolano, I've started my writing again (short stories).

So, to be on my top game, I've decided to follow some of the writing guides set by Milligan and Bolano.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 11-18-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Thanks to Peter Milligan and Roberto Bolano, I've started my writing again (short stories).

So, to be on my top game, I've decided to follow some of the writing guides set by Milligan and Bolano.
    Hello, is there an article about these "writing guides"?
    Could you please post a link?
    I'd be interested to read it.

Thanks.

Congrats on getting back into writing!

I'm a bit on the same boat. I've got stuck writing my last play and it's been like 2 months. But I finally finished Enigma last night and I think I just might have the push to get back into it.

And damn, Enigma was not what I expected it would be at all. Hell, I'm not even sure what to expect when I started, but I wouldn't have thought it or imagine exactly what it would be. Loved it, loved the characters and the weirdness but human qualities of it. The art was amazing. And I loved the "ending." There's a reason why I put quotation marks. I do wonder what was going through Milligan's head when he was coming up with this story. I can't help but feel there was a TON of personal stuff in this. And I liked the aspect of breaking the norm to explore yourself, your sexuality or just allowing yourself to be while challenging yourself.

Free Umbra!

Why does Enigma be out of print?... :(
    Answer: So it would match his other out of print stuff.
    I made myself sad again.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Pralaya View Post
    Hello, is there an article about these "writing guides"?
    Could you please post a link?
    I'd be interested to read it.

Thanks.
    Bolano's "guide" is very tongue-in-check, ironic and humorous but it did get me to more than one or two stories at a time; it also got me to start checking out some of the writers he name dropped:
    http://biblioklept.org/2010/09/07/wr...oberto-bolano/

and for Milligan it was:
    ST: In an old interview you advised those wishing to write comics to read anything but comics for a whole year. Do you still stand behind that recommendation or would you advise them differently now? What books do you recommend?

PM: I probably do stand by that. And I wouldn't recommend books because trying to find the right books is all part of the process.
    http://www.sequentialtart.com/archiv...milligan.shtml

I can't find that old interview in which he goes in detail about the advice though. :(

Like I said, small writing guides but it's gives an nice idea (well, for me) on how to start tackling my short writing.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 11-19-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    The 9th Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Congrats on getting back into writing!

I'm a bit on the same boat. I've got stuck writing my last play and it's been like 2 months. But I finally finished Enigma last night and I think I just might have the push to get back into it.

And damn, Enigma was not what I expected it would be at all. Hell, I'm not even sure what to expect when I started, but I wouldn't have thought it or imagine exactly what it would be. Loved it, loved the characters and the weirdness but human qualities of it. The art was amazing. And I loved the "ending." There's a reason why I put quotation marks. I do wonder what was going through Milligan's head when he was coming up with this story. I can't help but feel there was a TON of personal stuff in this. And I liked the aspect of breaking the norm to explore yourself, your sexuality or just allowing yourself to be while challenging yourself.
    My girlfriend hates the ending but I LOVE the ending.

It's a hell of a way to end a story but SPOILERS:

having it go back in on itself and in that moment we get a better appreciation of the story, Enigma and Michael Smith; I simply adore that comic.

And the ending of #6 or 7 where Enigma comes out of the well and the world is just a complete horror! Powerful way to end an issue and just sent me to tears.
    The 9th Blog

My girlfriend hates the ending but I LOVE the ending.

It's a hell of a way to end a story but SPOILERS:

having it go back in on itself and in that moment we get a better appreciation of the story, Enigma and Michael Smith; I simply adore that comic.

And the ending of #6 or 7 where Enigma comes out of the well and the world is just a complete horror! Powerful way to end an issue and just sent me to tears.
    What didn't she like about the ending?

Free Umbra!

What didn't she like about the ending?
    I can't remember her exact words and I'd hate to put words on her mouth, so I'll ask her tonight when she comes back from college.

Other than that, she loves Enigma and thoroughly enjoys the art.
    The 9th Blog

I can't remember her exact words and I'd hate to put words on her mouth, so I'll ask her tonight when she comes back from college.

Other than that, she loves Enigma and thoroughly enjoys the art.
    Hmm. I wonder what my guy would think of Enigma. I won't bother until he reads and returns my damn Strange Embrace, though!

Free Umbra!

Hmm. I wonder what my guy would think of Enigma. I won't bother until he reads and returns my damn Strange Embrace, though!
    Lordy, I feel you there.

When the missus and I weren't living together, she would borrow my books and it would be ages (or it would feel like ages) when she would return them to me. She'd take two to fours books at a time and when I wanted to re-read them I would have to wait until she was done or she would give them back (after keeping them for a good while) to me because she hasn't read them yet! So I'm waiting for her to get done or I'm just waiting for waiting sake!

BAH!
    The 9th Blog

Lordy, I feel you there.

When the missus and I weren't living together, she would borrow my books and it would be ages (or it would feel like ages) when she would return them to me. She'd take two to fours books at a time and when I wanted to re-read them I would have to wait until she was done or she would give them back (after keeping them for a good while) to me because she hasn't read them yet! So I'm waiting for her to get done or I'm just waiting for waiting sake!

BAH!
    LOL!!! It's been almost two months and you know it's my favorite book. Every time I'm at his place, it's in the same damn place I saw it in. That shit's gonna collect dust. Watch, I'm gonna take it some day and see how long until he realizes it's gone. Luckily I also have the Black and White version of the book, but still, lol. And given that the Enigma comics are just the floppies, not collected... he'll have to read it in front of me.

Free Umbra!

Bolano's "guide" is very tongue-in-check, ironic and humorous but it did get me to more than one or two stories at a time; it also got me to start checking out some of the writers he name dropped:
    http://biblioklept.org/2010/09/07/wr...oberto-bolano/

and for Milligan it was:

http://www.sequentialtart.com/archiv...milligan.shtml

I can't find that old interview in which he goes in detail about the advice though. :(

Like I said, small writing guides but it's gives an nice idea (well, for me) on how to start tackling my short writing.
    Thank you for your kindness Sartre.