Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Females

BANNED

Default Marvel Females

Here is a general thread talking about the current position of Females in the Marvel U and where we what we might might to see in the future.

So far, there are no Marvel female solo books, with X-23 and Ghost Rider soon to be gone by April with a few issues left.
    Though there aren't much going on in terms of solos, there are still team books such as X-Men Legacy that focuses on Rogue as well as others like Frenzy and Rachel Grey, Generation Hope with Hope Summers, Transonic and Pixie, Avengers Academy with more majority girls than boys, and a few other team books that give their females the lime light.
    This upcoming event features Hope Summers and the Scarlet Witch in a central role, even though they haven't really been advertising that part as much. (I see people still asking why the Avengers and X-Men are fighting)

Though currently, Marvel is being outshadowed by DC, which has books like Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Demon Knights, Batgirl, a Huntress mini, and several other series currently going or are about to come.

My question here is, why can't Marvel keep up? What is the disconnect whether it be writers not being interested or readers not being interested, what is holding the Marvel Females back? Why is DC so far ahead compared to Marvel?

In this thread, we discuss all things related to this, what they are doing well, poorly, and what else is going on.

EDIT: Call out to the Fearless, which is actually a good Valkyrie mini going on right now.
    Last edited by Songbird/Diamondback; 01-15-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Maybe they should try a Liberators ongoing featuring all of the top Marvel women? Take the females from each group (Storm, Ms. Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Sue Richards, etc.) and put them all in one book? Sort of a female JLA/Avengers. I can't help but think if they put a decent artist and writer on it, the thing would sell. That would be a starting point. From there they could fan out?

On a side note, isn't The Fearless a title (mini-series) that Valkyrie has the lead role in?

My question here is, why can't Marvel keep up? What is the disconnect whether it be writers not being interested or readers not being interested, what is holding the Marvel Females back? Why is DC so far ahead compared to Marvel?
    I think this is the main issue. There is no interest in them from the storytellers, and not enough interest from consumers. Oh, and yeah Mechano. The Fearless is lead by Valkyrie, and her antagonist is Sin. So you've got a mini-series there with both a female lead and antagonist.
    It helps that it's a fun adventure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
    Maybe they should try a Liberators ongoing featuring all of the top Marvel women? Take the females from each group (Storm, Ms. Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Sue Richards, etc.) and put them all in one book? Sort of a female JLA/Avengers. I can't help but think if they put a decent artist and writer on it, the thing would sell. That would be a starting point. From there they could fan out?
    I know I personally would love that idea, and feel that some of the Marvel females would benefit from that, but as many posters pointed out, segregating the Males from Females would probably do more harm than good. I would love an all female team, but a lot of the time, it would be viewed as a gimmick by people.
    Still, there should be some book where the females could be able to shine without being terribly overshadowed by more popular characters would be a good starting point.

Also, even Brevoort thinks the idea is sexist.
    Again, personally I love it, but I understand how people wouldn't like it.
    One last note, I loved that Black Widow and the Marvel Girl mini, and I kinda wished it was more than just a mini.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
    On a side note, isn't The Fearless a title (mini-series) that Valkyrie has the lead role in?
    That's RIGHT! Adding that to the list!

I think this is the main issue. There is no interest in them from the storytellers, and not enough interest from consumers.
    It's kinda of a bad cycle. Especially when the only female hero that can make in the Marvel Studio movies is Black Widow. (Nothing against Widow, I just wished more faces could show up.)

BANNED

On the subject of Liberators though, if you could make a Liberators team, who would you put as the lineup?

I do agree that Marvel could do with more female solos. Especially since they're cancelling X-23 which I enjoyed.

I think a She-Hulk (Jen) book is due personally. And unless they give Ms Marvel more to do in the New Avengers than I'd like to see a new solo series about her as well.

Just to name two for example.

And I think Mechano's idea about the Lady Liberators is a good one as well.

I think one of the reasons is that Marvel's flagship teams are mostly composed or and lead by men. X-men have Cyclops and Wolverine. The Avengers are almost all men and are led by men.

If Marvel could create a spin off of the Avengers with Ms. Marvel, Jewel or Spiderwoman in the lead I'm sure it could be a hit with the Avengers crowd. The same for Rogue, Emma or some other X-girl. Hope has her book, but she's such a polarizing character she probably has all the fans she's going to get for right now.

I'm personally buy a book focused on Transonic (for $2.99.)

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    On the subject of Liberators though, if you could make a Liberators team, who would you put as the lineup?
    Personally I'd have She-Hulk (Jen), Thunderer, Storm, Invisible Woman and oh what's her name She-Hulk's friend from her last solo run you know the skrull girl? Ah well whatever her name is her as well or if not her than Songbird maybe?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by allwillbemine View Post
    I'm personally buy a book focused on Transonic (for $2.99.)
    I hope Transonic sticks around post Gen Hope and AvX. I think she's a genuinely interesting character.

And I think Mechano's idea about the Lady Liberators is a good one as well.
    Better to drop the Liberator part.
    Anyways, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Storm, Songbird, Black Widow, it's so easy to build a lineup. (Though I guess I have to make Spider-Girl the rookie spot now.)

BANNED

If Marvel could create a spin off of the Avengers with Ms. Marvel, Jewel or Spiderwoman in the lead I'm sure it could be a hit with the Avengers crowd. The same for Rogue, Emma or some other X-girl.
    I think it would work better if they mix the females from the different series. I mean, you could take those three from the Avengers, but it would feel like an Avenger title...
    ...then again, those three in their own book could be like Cap and the Avengers...huh.

I'd probably buy a Lady Liberators title. Throw in all the characters that almost but can't quite sustain an ongoing, and hype it up like Defenders.

Ms. Marvel
    She-Hulk
    Spider-Woman
    Invisible Woman
    Storm
    Tigra
    Photon
    Mockingbird
    Black Widow
    X-23

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post
    I'd probably buy a Lady Liberators title. Throw in all the characters that almost but can't quite sustain an ongoing, and hype it up like Defenders.

Ms. Marvel
    She-Hulk
    Spider-Woman
    Invisible Woman
    Storm
    Tigra
    Photon
    Mockingbird
    Black Widow
    X-23
    Marvel needs to hype their newer books up like Defenders. Because they made you know that book was coming out compared to some other books.

Also, Songbird is an ABSOLUTE MUST for a Liberators team.
    Last edited by Songbird/Diamondback; 01-15-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post

Ms. Marvel
    She-Hulk
    Spider-Woman
    Invisible Woman
    Storm
    Tigra
    Photon
    Mockingbird
    Black Widow
    X-23

I might buy it (depending on the writing of course) if they just called it the Liberators. 'Lady Liberators' sounds silly to me.