Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

In no particular order:

• Action Comics
    • Batman
    • I, Vampire
    • Voodoo
    • OMAC (yeah, I know it's getting cancelled, but I thought it was a good book)
    • Justice League
    • Wonder Woman
    • Teen Titans
    • Animal Man
    • Flash
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Action Comics
    Swamp Thing
    Green Lantern
    Batman
    Justice League
    Wonder Woman
    All-Star Western
    Aquaman (Yes Aquaman, it's pretty great now)
    The Flash
    Teen Titans

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

In order:

1. Birds of Prey
    2. Batman
    3. Swamp Thing
    4. Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
    5. Justice League Dark
    6. I, Vampire
    7. Supergirl
    8. Red Lanterns
    9. Aquaman
    10. Justice League
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

if you're looking for some superheroes action-tales:
    -Green Lantern
    -Aquaman
    -Justice League

if you're looking for something moody and thrilling:
    -Animal Man
    -I,Vampire
    -Swamp Thing
    -Wonder Woman
    -Batwoman

If you're looking for some fun read:
    -Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE

in any case, you should also read:
    -Batman

imho, of course
    -Forgive me for my bad english, i'm from Germany-

DC New 52, Top 5: 1 I,Vampire. 2 Batman. 3 Swamp Thing. 4 Animal Man. 5 Wonder Woman.

I just wanted to bump this up one time to see if there are any more inputs.
    Excuse me. Have you ever danced with The Devil by the pale moonlight?

Batwing- fantastic art. Unique title in the sense of the setting. Most solo heroes take place in America or outer space or something. This takes place in Africa, and the title does a good job highlighting the rich setting. This book also has a lot of ties to the Bat book, and its good to see Batman extending his reach and fighting crime all over the worl not just Africa.

Batman- really well written

Voodoo- great art, good story. A lot of mystery and intrigue in this book, and its clear the story line in this book will have far reaching ramifications, (This title and Grifter) that will be felt throughout the DCnU, and likely will effect the first big event of this new universe.

Aquaman- solid art solid writing. not to many heroes with Aquaman's powersett that deal with oceanic problems, so its unique in that sense.

Action Comics
    - Good art. Honestly you might want to hold off on this one. Morrison's comics are always good in my opinion, but they tend to be better in retrospect when you can look back and tie together all his little webs. sometime s it doesn't seem as fruitful if you read it monthly. But if you want to read about Superman this is the best title to do it in.

Birds of Prey- its a fun read, about an all female super hero team. Dealing with street level crime and secret organizations.

Green Lantern Corps
    - the best Green Lantern book in my opinion. It really gives you a feel for the entire corps and the planet Oa, and what a Green Lantern does. Green Lantern are intergalactic cops that each have their own sectors and beats to patrol. This book really lives up to its mission statement showing that, and a variety of Green Lanterns. The two stars I guess are John Stewart and Guy Gardner, both great characters. Its a very well written book I definitely recommend it. Also I love the art.

Justice League
    - Arts great, stories okay. Its prety straight forward. I only recommend it cause its suppose to be DC's flagship book. So its probably a good idea to read the first arc at least to understand the story of how Dc's premier super team came to be.

Nightwing- I'm a little biased on this one. I'm a huge Dick Grayson fan from before the relaunch, so I feel I had to recommend this book. I enjoy the art on this title. The writing has been okay, but truthfully the plots been a little slow and its starting to drag

Wonder Woman- This book is great and I'm not event a Wonder Woman fan. The art is superb. Its kind of dark and I really like the way it plays around with Greek mythology and its good. Wonder Woman comes off more like Xena than Lynda Carter. Her iconic lasso is now second to her cool sword and shield. Part of me wished they gave her pants or a Greek battle skirt, but other than that its a great title.

Swamp Thing- well written title, a little on the slow side, but if you are a Swamp Thing fan I totally recommend it
    Last edited by Jabare; 01-26-2012 at 10:20 PM.

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

Batman
    Batman and Robin
    Action Comics
    Supergirl
    Wonder Woman
    Flash
    JLI
    GL
    Red Hood
    Teen Titans

Classic heroes, and bits from the most popular lines. The most popular Justice League assorted members, and JLI is showing real promise, if few results. A few extra things from the Batverse that are also YJ-verse. Superboy, Animal Man, another GL and/or Bat title are good choices too. There are a few titles more I should really get round to pulling. Hear BOP is awesome.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Quote Originally Posted by bdk91939 View Post
    I just wanted to bump this up one time to see if there are any more inputs.
    And my response is still the same. Though Justice League is pretty lightweight when it comes to story, so that's a recommendation mostly because it's the de facto team book. I also find all the Green Lantern titles entertaining, I just wouldn't recommend them as much for a newbie. And Superboy is worth reading if you're going to read Teen Titans, because their stories are intertwined.

No particular order...

Wonder Woman
    Birds Of Prey
    Batgirl
    Action Comics
    Demon Knights
    I, Vampire
    Animal Man
    JL Dark
    Frankenstein, Agent Of S.H.A.D.E.
    And finally Resurrection Man. Or maybe Aquaman.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Status Quo Cowards Thanos Classic's Avatar

Batwing
    -This has a decent story that feels new. The main character is similar to Batman, but also different in some fundamental sophisticated ways. The art is really good most of the time, and the antagonists and his merciless ploys are like reading a more sane Joker who has a punishing incentive.

Suicide Squad
    -Characters you wouldn't otherwise know or every see fleshed out at all, strut their stuff in off the wall missions that have a time limit. Everyone looks great, no one is safe from being killed (well with obvious exception of deadshot and harley, probably), and I doubt very much at any point following other titles would be required.

Batman
    -Watch the owls talons sink into your throat!

Supergirl
    -Poor kara is so confused, but its good to see a super person operating completely outside of earth. She might even have long standing adventure across the galaxy.

Animal Man
    -Really horrific, but in a good way.

Action Comics
    -Edit:Actually, I'll put Action Comics instead of Superman title because he'll probably show a great deal more development in Action Comics. It's also weird but interesting to see him acting so "not superman like" sometimes.

Superboy
    -I like this one only because it reminds me of the old days were SB was called SB and had tactile TK which he goofed off with on lunch break.

Justice League Dark
    -I don't know most of the characters prior to this, so it's all new to me. Issue one was pretty cool, and it gets better.
    Last edited by Thanos Classic; 01-27-2012 at 02:30 AM.
    Batman should call Superman or Wonderwoman to put an end to Crime in Gotham Forever. It'd only take about 3 minutes...

Here are all my recommendations. All are great books and accessible to the newbie:

- Action. Retells Superman's origins and early career in a fresh, fun way. All you need to know is the basics of Superman which should be pretty familiar by now.

- Batman. Has the makings to be one of the best Batman stories ever told. As above, all you need to know is the basic broad strokes of Batman's history and supporting cast.

- Wonder Woman. This could also wind up being one of the all time great WW stories. Though it is rewriting some of WW's established backstory, you don't need to know the specifics to be entertained.

- Birds Of Prey. Probably the best 'street level'/espionage comic going. Fun and full of action and twists. Except for the backstory with Batgirl (which will probably be revealed down the line) you don't need to kow anything to get started.

- Superboy. A surprisingly fun comic, packing in lots of plot, well-rounded supporting characters and character deveopment. Seems to be starting the character from scratch, so no previous knowledge required.

- Teen Titans. A companion piece to Superboy. Fast, flashy, over the top. Has a nice diverse cast. Seems to be starting the team from scratch.

- Supergirl. Beautiful art. Story is compelling, if slow moving, giving us lots of time to get a feel for the character. Like Superboy, this one is starting the character from scratch.

- Frankenstein. Crazy, silly, monster slaying fun. An almost completely new character and supporting cast.

- Demon Knights. Sword and sorcery with a superhero twist. Slow moving plot, but lots of great characters with killer twists and goofy humor.

- Aquaman. Absolutely gorgeous art and a fresh, though self-conscious and humourless, take on the character.

ALSO

- Batwoman. Though this title is absolutely just the best thing ever, with astonishing art and truly compelling characters, it isn't very newbie friendly. But the character is only 12 issues old. The 'Batwoman: Elegy' trade will give you her backstory, or you could just buy the 'Batwoman #0' issue that came out in late 2010.
    Last edited by Cowtools; 01-27-2012 at 02:35 AM.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Action Comics
    All-Star Western
    Animal Man
    Batman
    Batwoman
    The Flash
    Green Lantern
    I, Vampire
    Swamp Thing
    Wonder Woman

Nice mix of genres and none of the dumbed down crap that usually gets lumped in as "new reader friendly" *cough* Justice League *cough*.
    Last edited by Disco Pyg; 01-27-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Action Comics
    Batman
    I, Vampire
    Voodoo
    Justice League
    Animal Man
    All Star Western
    Swamp Thing
    Batgirl
    Huntress

Had a long typed out response that disappeared...heres my list.

The recommendations were a great help. I have read up to the latest issues, the following new 52 titles based on the recommendations on this thread:

1] Batman
    2] Batman and Robin
    3] Birds of Prey
    4] Justice League
    5] Batgirl

I will check out the following based on the recommendations here:

Aquaman, Action Comics, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern, and a couple of others. Thanks for everyone's input.
    Excuse me. Have you ever danced with The Devil by the pale moonlight?

For core concepts:

Justice League
    Superman
    Batman
    Aqua man
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern

For pure quality:

Animal Man
    Frankenstein
    Justice League Dark
    Batwing

Edit: I don't read any of the books in my core concepts list.
    Last edited by Goggindowner; 01-31-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Writers before artists.
    Artists before concepts.
    Concepts before characters.