Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by toastedbread View Post
    1. Action - Superman is iconic, and this is the best Superman title in addition to being a good introduction to the character.

2. Batman - Batman is iconic, and while this isn't an origin story, Batman's character is iconic enough that probably doesn't matter and the book is quality and creepy. Hopefully it'd be a good introduction to the wider Batverse and supporting characters.

3. Wonder Woman - Again, the final member of the trinity but also it's just a kickass book right now - great art, great story, and a different, darker take on the superhero genre to contrast with Action.

4. Swamp Thing - I hesitate slightly because there's a lot of exposition in this book at the start, and even though I got into it without much knowledge of Swamp Thing history, I did at least feel grounded in the DCU. So I would warn the reader that the first few issues are heavy on the explanations, but I think the richness of the world and the story once you get into it - in addition to the use of panels and the fantastic art, means I'd recommend it.

5. Animal Man - I'd recommend this out of sheer quality and also as an example of genre diversity, breadth of artistic style and an example of the way shared universe comics can interact while still being independent (with Swamp Thing).

6. Batwoman - For the art alone, this should be on the list, but it's also a good story and the supernatural and military edges to the character both differentiate her from Batman and present a slightly different take on a powerless masked vigilante.

7. Stormwatch - It starts a little unevenly, but it grows into something truly strange and odd and fascinating. It's wacky and insane and chaotic, and a little less heroically idealistic than most cape stories and I think it captures the brilliant edge of "what the hell is going to happen next?!" that good comics can in a way fairly few other books right now are managing.

8. Demon Knights - Strong characterisation, morally ambiguous protagonists, beautiful art, genre diversity in terms of historical fantasy, a plot that is wheeling out into something fascinating both within the series (with Shining Knight's Quest tying in to that of the Queen) and outside with another example of a lowkey crossover with Stormwatch that plays to the strengths of a shared universe rather than the weakness of demanding the reader keep up with a hundred series.

9. Justice League - Not a favourite of mine, but it's big, bold, easy to understand, pretty to look at and is the anchor book of the DCU dealing with a lot of the high profile characters. So for a new reader it should probably be on the list.

10. The Flash - I'm actually not reading this book anymore, but the art is undeniably gorgeous and since I'm now down to a handful of higher quality books that could all vie for this spot, might as well put a book that really showcases the visual nature of the medium, since we're talking about a newbie. Plus it's a classic cape story.

Other books I would have liked to include, or might substitute into that tenth spot based on the personal taste of the reader would be Blackhawks for fun military action and transhumanist shenanigans, Static Shock for a younger teen hero, Batgirl if the person wanted more Batverse, All-Star Western if they like Western stuff, Justice League Dark would be on there already in the #10 spot if I didn't think it was a little new-reader unfriendly without even Swamp Thing's mountains of exposition, but if the person liked the more Vertigo twists to things, I'd suggest subbing this in, and finally Birds of Prey if they want it more skewed towards team books.
    Perfect! I'm going to second this one.

Justice League
    Action Comics
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    All-Star Western
    Birds of Prey
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    Green Lantern Corps
    Teen Titans

I've included atleast one from each group of the DCnU that I think is ideal for a newbie.

Batman- the best bat title right now.
    Superman- gives a very classic feel to the big S .
    Red Hood- he's a very fun "anti hero" and is a good bat side charecter.
    Justice League Dark- if you like magic or the mystical type of story..this is for you.
    Legion of Superheros- its in the future, very scifi lots of powers and personalities. Lots of fun.
    Birds of Prey- is a team book, all female, kinda like James bond meets the powerpuff girls. Awesome.
    DC Universe Presents- different charecter highlighted every 5 issues or so.
    Green Lantern Corps- its cool it showcases the whole corps. Pretty cool.

The story is the thing

I see lots of great replies already in this thread from superhero fans, so I will give you a slightly different perspective from someone who is less into superheroes these days.

Ten to pick

Omac (I know it has been cancelled, but worth reading the 8 issues that have been/will be published)
    Suicide Squad
    Animal Man
    Birds of Prey
    Voodoo
    Swamp thing
    All Star Western
    Resurrection Man
    Frankenstein, Agent of Shade
    Action Comics

DC Universe presents and JL Dark are also very good. Shade is an excellent mini-series.

Eric

Thanks. Looks like I've narrowed my new pull list for this relaunch.
    Excuse me. Have you ever danced with The Devil by the pale moonlight?

Pretty much what others have said. The only difference for me is that i dont like Teen Titans. I'd suggest All-Star Western which is awesome!

From what I buy, I guess maybe (in no particular order of preference):

* Wonder Woman
    * Teen Titans
    * Swamp Thing
    * Superman
    * Supergirl
    * Nightwing
    * Justice League
    * Flash
    * Batwoman
    * Batman

but I'm not even confident I can whole-heartedly recommend all ten of those.

Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Batman
    JLA
    Aquaman
    Green Lantern
    Action Comics
    BoP
    Batwoman
    Batman and Robin

that's all i read
    I guess I 'd say Wonder Woman for the 10th since a lot of people seem to like that.

Wonder Woman
    Animal Man
    Batwoman
    Swamp Thing
    Birds of Prey
    Demon Knights
    I, Vampire
    Voodoo
    Stormwatch
    Justice League

Aquaman is an honorable mention. I forgot Batman. Shucksy.
    Nanny: The True Phoenix Egg

BANNED

Even though I seconded one, I'll do my own 10.

1. Action Comics
    2. Batman
    3. Justice League
    4. Animal Man
    5. Stormwatch
    6. Teen Titans
    7. Batwoman
    8. Wonder Woman
    9. Demon Knights
    10. The Flash

Honorary Mentions: Green Arrow, Swamp Thing, Frankenstein, Superboy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    . . . Honorary Mentions: Green Arrow, Swamp Thing, Frankenstein, Superboy
    All of Green Arrow's DCnU run? Or just from a certain point?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    All of Green Arrow's DCnU run? Or just from a certain point?
    Actually, just starting with the new run.

Justice League- Core title in the New 52.

Batman- Best book and Bat-title IMO.

Action Comics- shows Supes new origin and it is writen by Morrison, win/win!

Wonder Woman- as Supes, a new origin is being told by a great creative team.

Green Lantern- Johns has been killing it on this title for years and continues to do so in the New 52.

The Flash- Interesting story and with beautiful art, I also like the comparison to Marvel's Daredevil in the books overall feel.

Aquaman- Great book, easily in the top 5 of the relaunch. Johns is making Aquaman a very likable character right now.

Batman and Robin- IMO the second best Bat-title, you cannot go wrong with Damine Wayne!

Animal Man/ Swamp Thing- Each title is a cult-fan-favorite from years past brought back for the relaunch and are the best "Dark" titles around. Lemire and Snyder are two of the top writers in comics right now and rightfully so. Plus the cross-over between the two books is coming soon so you don't want to miss out.

My top ten titles to recommend to someone are basically Justice League, each team members solo title, Batman and Robin, AM/Swampy. For someone who has never read a comic or a DC comics title these are the best way to go IMO.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

In no particular order:

1) Action Comics
    2) Animal Man
    3) Batman
    4) All-Star Western
    5) Aquaman
    6) Wonder Woman
    7) Flash
    8) Swamp Thing
    9) Batwoman
    10) Batwing
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Batman
    Batwoman
    Animalman
    Swamp thing
    Frankenstein
    Flash
    Wonder Woman
    Allstar Western

I won't list ten just for the sake of it, I'd probably fill out the rest depending on the persons taste or whatever, but these are the books I'd say you can't miss if you're buying into the new 52. Why? Because they are super awesome.
    Reading this week: The Unwritten: On to Genesis, Hellblazer: Scab, Mountaingirl collection