Page 6 of 191 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
    No, no, no. Fuck Tebow and his bullshit. His pro-life ad was way beyond too far. He needs to keep that type of shit to himself, or at least to the right platform. This is football not a door to door Jehovah's Witness event. When he blames god for a loss the same way he thanks god for a win, when he respects human rights and doesn't partake in pro-life ads during the Superbowl, when he realizes that a supreme being could give a shit less about football, then I will respect him.

Once again, this is football, not a podium for his religious beliefs.
    Fair enough. Although I think while part of the reaction to him is grounded in sound reasons like these, part of it is just mocking him - and I would take issue with the latter, though not the former.

Frankly, I prefer to just ignore it more than anything and focus on the sport I love. Not now because that wound is still open and bleeding, but you know what I mean.
    And I hope when you think of me years down the line
    You can't find one good thing to say.
    And I hope that if I found the strength to walk out
    You'd stay the hell out of my way.

Faced with this new evidence, I am going to rethink my position and just quote The Vision:

"When one is unsure of the correct course of action, it is best to keep silent."
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

See some people are being all offended by others behavior towards Tebow and really that's okay, but don't dare tell me that I don't have the right to be offended by his behavior.
    The problem is people don't respect viewpoints like saying fuck him for being pro-life.

That's not something to get offensive about, it's something to debate or discuss.

Even if you disagree with Tebow's stance on abortion, can you guarantee he would be building hospitals in the Philippines without his faith.

I've spent half my life in politics and never found anyone that was offended by their stance alone on abortion alone. Unless there were insults, mockery, rude behavior, and disingenuous comments involved
    BAD TOUCHSCREEN TYPER

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Faced with this new evidence, I am going to rethink my position and just quote The Vision:

"When one is unsure of the correct course of action, it is best to keep silent."
    i remember that ad but still stand by what I said: there is a hell of a lot of religious bullying going on directed at Tebow much the same as Bono took (and still takes) a lot of shit for his beliefs. In Bono's case, though, I understand it a bit more as he is much more of a "pulpit figure" and sets himself up for a lot more slings and arrows.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Still hates the Packers. Patrick Hultquist's Avatar

Once again, this is football, not a podium for his religious beliefs.
    That ship sailed when they kept allowing the rainbow-wigged doofus into every football game with his "John 3:16" sign that he waved whenever there was an endzone shot. It sailed when athletes and coaches were allowed to use broadcast time to "thank the man upstairs". It sailed when tv cameras were allowed to linger on pre and post game prayer circles.

Tebow isn't doing anything more than what's allowed of him. If you hate it, fight against the U.S. corporate mentality that promotes that imagery.
    Schmitty's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Everyone knows Tebow is an evangelical Christian, but at the same time he isn't telling people they are going to burn in hell, for their support of gay marriage or abortion.

I had a gay man hug my neck when my grandfather died and he told me how much he loved him, and guess what. My grandfather was an evangelical pastor against gay marriage.

The guy loved my grandfather because all he ever showed him on a personal level is love despite their disagreements about the issues.

From everything I know about Tim Tebow when he was at Florida all he ever did was showcase that he was a servant for people regardless of how they felt about his beliefs or him as a person.
    BAD TOUCHSCREEN TYPER

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Hultquist View Post
    Tebow isn't doing anything more than what's allowed of him. If you hate it, fight against the U.S. corporate mentality that promotes that imagery.
    I think there wouldn't have been nearly the controversy there was over that ad if an ad with an opposing viewpoint had been allowed to run. It wasn't - but that isn't necessarily Tebow's fault.
    And I hope when you think of me years down the line
    You can't find one good thing to say.
    And I hope that if I found the strength to walk out
    You'd stay the hell out of my way.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart48 View Post
    Everyone knows Tebow is an evangelical Christian, but at the same time he isn't telling people they are going to burn in hell, for their support of gay marriage or abortion.

I had a gay man hug my neck when my grandfather died and he told me how much he loved him, and guess what. My grandfather was an evangelical pastor against gay marriage.

The guy loved my grandfather because all he ever showed him on a personal level is love despite their disagreements about the issues.

From everything I know about Tim Tebow when he was at Florida all he ever did was showcase that he was a servant for people regardless of how they felt about his beliefs or him as a person.
    Bravo, Stewart! You are expressing what I am trying to get across here much more eloquently and powerful than my sluggish brain is allowing me this morning.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Bravo, Stewart! You are expressing what I am trying to get across here much more eloquently and powerful than my sluggish brain is allowing me this morning.
    Do you really live in New York? Is the cost of living really as high as textbooks say?

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    I am not a troll

By the way, Spider-Man had a wife. What happened to her
    "I am not a troll. (Except I am.)"

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    She blew up on a plane.
    No, she was a water clone!
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Do you really live in New York? Is the cost of living really as high as textbooks say?
    Yes. And, Hell Yes.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yes. And, Hell Yes.
    What do you do for a living? Are salaries higher in NYC to offset the cost of living/rent?

Oldschool does not really live in New York. He actually lives in a hipster commune in Detroit Rock City.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Quote Originally Posted by stewart48 View Post
    The problem is people don't respect viewpoints like saying fuck him for being pro-life.

That's not something to get offensive about, it's something to debate or discuss.

Even if you disagree with Tebow's stance on abortion, can you guarantee he would be building hospitals in the Philippines without his faith.

I've spent half my life in politics and never found anyone that was offended by their stance alone on abortion alone. Unless there were insults, mockery, rude behavior, and disingenuous comments involved
    Nope, fuck him, don't really care if that's a respectable viewpoint, he sure as hell doesn't respect my viewpoint and it only took one commercial for me to figure that out. Keith Richards once did anti-drug commercials, didn't necessarily make him a good person. He's helping finance a church *ahem* I mean children's hospital , he isn't over there building it himself (you really think that isn't a missionary outreach too?). That's not selfless, that's promoting an agenda.

No, I couldn't guarantee he would be building hospitals if it wasn't for his faith and that IS the problem. He shouldn't need faith to be a good person. Don't be sad for society because people mock him, be happy that society's eyes are wide open.

EDIT: In fact , I just found a Tebow quote regarding the hospital (singular not plural by the way) in the Philippines..

“I was born in the Philippines and my parents have been missionaries to that area since 1985,” Tebow said in a statement. “The Philippines have always had a special place in my heart. I’m excited to be a part of this hospital that will bring healing to thousands of children who would not otherwise have access to care.”
    Last edited by Schmed; 01-15-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Oldschool does not really live in New York. He actually lives in a hipster commune in Detroit Rock City.
    LOL---you know me pretty well, Kevin! (and made my wife laugh so a bit of coffee came out of her nose!).
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008