Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Tilting at Windmills - Jan 12, 2012

Brian Hibbs takes a look at the end-of-year sales charts and wonders openly about Marvel's backlist and the continuing problems he and other retailers have in keeping the publisher's collections in stock.

Full article here.

Wow, I actually agree with some of the stuff you wrote. However, just like companies should identify what stores are theirs they should also identify which ones aren't. For instance, I can't see any reason Marvel would want you to continue to carry their books. You spend every column Marvel bashing and pretty much every article on your store website is Marvel bashing so why bother? I mean, they obviously stress you out to a point where you obsess over their every move and it's clear you absolutely hate their entire output. I can't imagine Marvel enjoys your endless blathering about what a horrible company they are so why not just part ways.

Think of the benefit to you. You won't have to worry about their trade policies anymore because you don't carry any Marvel trades. You won't have to worry about them giving away free digital comics anymore because you don't carry their monthly comics anyway. Not only do I think you'd be a happier, healthier, less stressed person but I think it would be a start at helping out the comic indusry which is currently in the crapper. Let face it, god forbid someone go see a Marvel movie and want to sample the comics that it came from and walk through the door of your angry anti-Marvel store. Your not doing Marvel, the industry or yourself any favors with all hate you spew out monthly. Best to get the prime agitator out of your life and say goodbye to Marvel Comics in your store forever. You'll never have to worry about them again!

Maybe Marvel should just step in and do their own intervention for your and their own good and demand you stop carrying their comics. I know, Marvel can't restrict trade but I figure since you're a big advocate for price fixing on digital comics (must be priced same as cover price of the printed page you scream from your pulpit!) and you'd like mail order retailers like DCBS and Amazon to have to charge full retail for goods like you sell, you won't mind a little trade restriction.

Do it Brian! For the benefit of the comic industry take the step and leave your hate behind! Just think of all the Scott Lobdell, Bob Harras, Rob Liefeld and Dan Didio books you'll be able to move without those pesky evil Marvel titles cluttering up your store. I really don't think Marvel would mind. I think they would really appreciate it.

To be fair I think the vast majority of comic book stores are pissed off at Marvel for a variety of reasons but most are too chicken---t to speak up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerG View Post
    Wow, I actually agree with some of the stuff you wrote. However, just like companies should identify what stores are theirs they should also identify which ones aren't. For instance, I can't see any reason Marvel would want you to continue to carry their books. You spend every column Marvel bashing and pretty much every article on your store website is Marvel bashing so why bother? I mean, they obviously stress you out to a point where you obsess over their every move and it's clear you absolutely hate their entire output. I can't imagine Marvel enjoys your endless blathering about what a horrible company they are so why not just part ways.

Think of the benefit to you. You won't have to worry about their trade policies anymore because you don't carry any Marvel trades. You won't have to worry about them giving away free digital comics anymore because you don't carry their monthly comics anyway. Not only do I think you'd be a happier, healthier, less stressed person but I think it would be a start at helping out the comic indusry which is currently in the crapper. Let face it, god forbid someone go see a Marvel movie and want to sample the comics that it came from and walk through the door of your angry anti-Marvel store. Your not doing Marvel, the industry or yourself any favors with all hate you spew out monthly. Best to get the prime agitator out of your life and say goodbye to Marvel Comics in your store forever. You'll never have to worry about them again!

Maybe Marvel should just step in and do their own intervention for your and their own good and demand you stop carrying their comics. I know, Marvel can't restrict trade but I figure since you're a big advocate for price fixing on digital comics (must be priced same as cover price of the printed page you scream from your pulpit!) and you'd like mail order retailers like DCBS and Amazon to have to charge full retail for goods like you sell, you won't mind a little trade restriction.

Do it Brian! For the benefit of the comic industry take the step and leave your hate behind! Just think of all the Scott Lobdell, Bob Harras, Rob Liefeld and Dan Didio books you'll be able to move without those pesky evil Marvel titles cluttering up your store. I really don't think Marvel would mind. I think they would really appreciate it.
    Wow.

You are a very petty and, and small-minded individual.

If this is actually your take on Brianís articles Ė and not an attempt to simply bait Ė then youíre frankly not very bright either. At the very least you seem unable to parse the meaning and context of Brianís writing in any way that resembles what heís actually saying.

Comic book forums/websites have been full of people saying for years that Marvel's backlist and trade program is broken and not working. I don't know enough about the business to really make an argument one way or the other. However, common sense would indicate a few things: 1. Marvel is not run by idiots, 2. Marvel overall is profitable, 3. Marvel has access to all the data website commenters have access to, plus access to additional information about their sales/business goals and plans etc that those commenters do not have. Thus, I expect that Marvel's program works just fine for them, even if it doesn't for retailers and/or customers, and they are not concerned with coming up with the next perennial seller ala "Year One" or "Watchmen". It may be possible, as others have noted, that at this point the money Marvel's characters bring in from other media and licensing is the main reason for their existence and the print side is, from a business standpoint at least, considered to be more of a content generator than profit generator.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerG View Post
    For instance, I can't see any reason Marvel would want you to continue to carry their books. You spend every column Marvel bashing and pretty much every article on your store website is Marvel bashing so why bother? I mean, they obviously stress you out to a point where you obsess over their every move and it's clear you absolutely hate their entire output. I can't imagine Marvel enjoys your endless blathering about what a horrible company they are so why not just part ways.
    You do know Brian once launched a class action suit against Marvel on behalf of retailers? They weren't being honest with diamond/retailers, and refused to change until Brian kicked up a fuss.
    As a Marvel fan, you should be happy he's doing his bit to keep the company honest.

He's complaining here because he can't sell as much Marvel as he would like.
    They are being outsold in trades by almost everyone - he's given them some ideas to turn it around, or at least given other retailers some ideas for them to grumble about.
    There will be people at Marvel who know what the problems are, but due to internal policies can't change the way things are done - sales charts and complaints from well read/respected industry figures will help change that. It gives people in Marvel something to take to the big boss and say 'look, sales are down, and retailers are saying it's due to this'.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by joeshan View Post
    Comic book forums/websites have been full of people saying for years that Marvel's backlist and trade program is broken and not working. I don't know enough about the business to really make an argument one way or the other.
    Just look at the sales charts - they are biggest at periodicals, yet really behind the curve with tpb's.

However, common sense would indicate a few things: 1. Marvel is not run by idiots, 2. Marvel overall is profitable, 3. Marvel has access to all the data website commenters have access to, plus access to additional information about their sales/business goals and plans etc that those commenters do not have.
    Sounds like you need to do some reading about Ike, the guy running Marvel.
    It may knock point one and point three out of contention.

Thus, I expect that Marvel's program works just fine for them, even if it doesn't for retailers and/or customers, and they are not concerned with coming up with the next perennial seller ala "Year One" or "Watchmen".
    Try and answer that one yourself - for what reason would they not want a perennial seller?

It may be possible, as others have noted, that at this point the money Marvel's characters bring in from other media and licensing is the main reason for their existence and the print side is, from a business standpoint at least, considered to be more of a content generator than profit generator.
    Marvel say themselves in interviews that they need to make money.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Question

Hopefully next year will be the year of Image with stuff like Americas got powers and Millarworld ect.

How about instead of printing 50 minis we dont need based around the latest movie, actually releasing trades of stuff that people want based on that property?

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaZilla View Post
    Hopefully next year will be the year of Image with stuff like Americas got powers and Millarworld ect.
    Image already have my attention at the moment - Near Death, Morning Glories, Butcher Baker, Skull Kickers, Witch Doctor, Shinku, Fatale, Haunt - and that's just with ongoings!
    They aren't just books I enjoy reading, I'm hungry for the next issues. I don't know I've ever followed this many image books before, not even when Wildstorm had Ellis and Moore.
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyGreenJerusalem View Post
    Image already have my attention at the moment - Near Death, Morning Glories, Butcher Baker, Skull Kickers, Witch Doctor, Shinku, Fatale, Haunt - and that's just with ongoings!
    They aren't just books I enjoy reading, I'm hungry for the next issues. I don't know I've ever followed this many image books before, not even when Wildstorm had Ellis and Moore.
    Yeah. Could happily read pretty much all their comics I think.

There's an obvious reason for Marvel's trade slippage: Marvel Unlimited.
    one of the highest principles of America is that we're a nation of people from different backgrounds living in equal dignity and mutual loyalty - Eboo Patel.