Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman in World War II appreciation (1970's and later)

Not sure if there's ever been a thread on this topic, but I'm a baby boomer who enjoys stories set back in World War II.

And of course, Wonder Woman definitely fits that category.

I remember when Lynda Carter starred in the TV series, with the first season (on ABC) set during WWII.

Around that time, DC Comics changed the focus of their Wonder Woman comic book from the "present-day" Earth-1 character to the Golden Age, Earth-2 version, who was active during that era.

The first issue where the switch took place was in Wonder Woman 228 (February 1977 cover date), and it introduced a new WWII villain.

The story continued into the next issue.

Also, when World's Finest Comics changed formats to the larger Dollar Comics format, it added several features, which included the WWII era Wonder Woman.

(Issue 244, cover date April-May 1977)
    In that story, she had to deal with "Ludwig Von Schmeer - - master of disguise and loyal servant of the Fuhrer!"

((Hey, it was 1977 comic book writing . . . what were you expecting?))
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 01-11-2012 at 05:05 PM.

The next foe Wonder Woman faced (in issue 230 of her comic book) was the return of an old foe: Cheetah.

And then in issues 230 and 231, she fought Osira, in a story that guest-starred members of the Justice Society of America.

The thing that bothered me about that appearance was . . . they had Mr. Terrific as a member of the Justice Society of America, but they also had Sandman (Wesley Dodds) in his original green business suit and gas mask outfit. But the story took place in 1943, and by that time, Sandman should have been wearing this costume:
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 01-11-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Awesome thread thank you
    I am most definitely a WONDER WOMAN FAN!!

Loves the ignore button jason_w's Avatar

Thumbs up

One of my favorite eras for both the comic and tv show.

Jose Delbo and Vince Colletta knocked it out of the park on the artwork for the main book.

The June-July 1977 issue of World's Finest Comics

had the Wonder Woman story "Hell on Skis", with the a Nazi bad guy called Iron Claw

but as with Ludwig Von Schmeer in the previous issue (244), he appears to have been another of those "one and done" menaces.

Meanwhile, in Wonder Woman 233 (July 1977), we have the beginning of a two-part story.

The main villain is a gentleman named Captain Strung, a stereotypical-looking Nazi bad guy with a monocle and a cigarette holder. He also commands a U-boat, so that means there'll be a lot of water involved.
    (Too bad the Earth-2 Aquaman wasn't around!)

The story continues in issue 234

an issue which also introduces our next major threat to Princess Diana and the Allied forces: Armageddon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Armageddon+-+from+Wonder+Woman+No_+234+-+Aug_+1977.jpg  
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 01-11-2012 at 07:06 PM.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I'd like to comment that:

Had WW2 not occurred, Dr. Marston still would've created Wonder Woman. But we can wonder what Wonder Woman would've turned out to be like, visually and story-wise, had that been the case.

I'm right there with you, Major. I love the old-school, Pre-Crisis Wonder Woman and this has always been one of my favorite eras.

I think two of my favorites from that run are the 1978 Wonder Woman Spectacular

And the classic "Superman vs. Wonder Woman"

I hope that one day DC will collect this entire era into an omnibus edition. The comics are getting harder to find, not to mention more expensive when you DO find them in back-issue bins. I think with the renewed attention and interest that Wonder Woman seems to have now thanks to the New 52, DC ought to capitalize on this and make some of these previous stories available. There is a post here from a newbie who is looking for some "essential Wonder Woman graphic novels" after being introduced to her through the new series.

Quote Originally Posted by jancy View Post
    I'm not sure if this matters, but I'd like to comment that:

Had WW2 not occurred, Dr. Marston still would've created Wonder Woman. But we can wonder what Wonder Woman would've turned out to be like, visually and story-wise, had that been the case.
    But one wonders (or, at least I do), if the world hadn't been in the throes of what would be known as WWII (remember, the U.S. didn't officially declare war on anybody until after December 7, 1941 (" . . . a date which will live in infamy . . . ") . . . Wonder Woman first appeared in All-Star Comics No. 8, Dec. 1941, so that was created and made available well before the attack at Pearl Harbor), would the idea of a woman warrior wearing a patriotic costume and espousing the ideas of peace and love have been as successful?

And if Europe and other parts of the world weren't already involved in the war, would Wonder Woman's classic outfit have still been the one they went with?

The curious one.

Well I have a lot of back issues to look for at the next comic book show

Mark_S

The August-September issue (no. 246) of World's Finest Comics introduced probably the most memorable villain of the Earth-2 Wonder Woman run: Baron Blitzkrieg!

The story started in issue 246 but continued the next issue (no. 247, October-November 1977)

The "good" Baron who would also have a return match against Wonder Woman (and the Earth-2 Superman) in All-New Collectors' Edition C-54 ("Superman vs. Wonder Woman") in 1978, as well as later appearances in All-Star Squadron, Young All-Stars, and even modern-day appearances in Damage.

The Wonder Woman story in World's Finest 247 also featured a guest appearance by one of DC's war comic book stars:

Mademoiselle Marie!

Wonder Woman issues 235-236 (September and October 1977) featured Wonder Woman's battle with Armageddon (first seen in issue 234).

and guest-starring one her JSA team-mates: Dr. Mid-Nite.

Among the menaces Armageddon unleashed was one that hit a little closer to home than Wonder Woman would have liked:

spoilers:
    A monstrously transformed Steve Trevor.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 01-13-2012 at 05:19 PM.

By the way, for anyone who's wondering how come the Earth-2 Steve Trevor in these comic books has brown hair when the original character was a blonde back during the Golden Age

don't forget who was playing the character on the TV show: actor Lyle Waggoner.

In Wonder Woman issues 237 - 238 (November and December 1977), we were introdudced to the villain Kung, a shape-changer who could take the form of various animal life.
    (He also would later appear in All-Star Squadron in the 1980's.)

Issue 237 was titled "The Secret Origin of Wonder Woman", and retold that tale.

It also featured the return of the original Diana Prince, the nurse who's identity Wonder Woman took over when she first arrived in "man's world".

The idea of Princess Diana/Wonder Woman having an encounter with the original Diana Prince had happened before, in a story originally told in Sensation Comics No. 9 (September 1942)

and more recently (at that point!) having been reprinted in Wonder Woman 217 a couple of years earlier (which is where I read the story).

And also during her encounter(s) with Kung, we had a guest appearance by Sandman (in his appropriate gold-and-purple outfit) and his boy sidekick Sandy.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 01-19-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Wonder Woman 239 & 240 (January and February 1978) had another guest-star who was a fellow member of the Justice Society . . . The Flash (Jay Garrick).

The story also involved two more traditional Wonder Woman foes:
    Mars (also known as Ares), God of War and The Duke of Deception.

The February issue also showed a never-before seen enemy to fight Wonder Woman:

Siegfried, "The Speedster Hero of the Fatherland", who turned out to be spoilers:
    Flash, of course.
    end of spoilers

The character Siegfried only appeared in that one story (at least, as far as I'm aware), but the costume seemed to show up again (in All-Star Squadron, naturally) on a character named

Zyklon.