Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41
  1. #31
    Senior Member UnravThreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    I got my copy last year but I didn't really start it until last night. 90ish pages in and I've enjoyed it so far! It's a little awkward to read due to its size, but once you get over that it just sucks you in.

    It kind of feels a bit irrelevant due to Plague Ships (which retreads some of Lord Baltimore's history), but there's so much more to it that it's worth going through what's already known.

  2. #32
    Hell yeah! Kees_L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    7,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    It kind of feels a bit irrelevant due to Plague Ships (which retreads some of Lord Baltimore's history), but there's so much more to it that it's worth going through what's already known.
    Hah! Keep reading.
    Around halfway, when 'the fellows' start exchanging stories the novel aptly conveys what kind of person Baltimore would be, under which circumstances, in what sickly a world - through various separate pairs of eyes.
    Something which any of the Baltimore comics may only barely be able to hint upon, because they're comics and comics can only expand on stuff so much.
    And then there's also the conclusion, well, you'll find that out for yourself, as long as you'll be to keep on reading!

    The structure and the handling of protagonists versus narrative and unique delivery of the novel is what makes Baltimore really superb I'd say.
    Like "eat your heart out Allan Poe" or "beat that, Dostojevski" or "now thŕt is writing ain't it old Hemingway-o?..."
    "Not so talky now are ya, Shakey Walter? Or is you puttin' on some kinda puffy act again, huh?!!
    "Quick, Brönte sisters, pass the salt. All of you..."

    I mean I can really like comics and all that. But Baltimore the novel by the Golden/Mignola team will be really something.
    Kinda crazy really, considerin' it's just a book .
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-05-2012 at 06:15 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

  3. #33
    Elder Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Posts
    20,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    I got my copy last year but I didn't really start it until last night. 90ish pages in and I've enjoyed it so far! It's a little awkward to read due to its size, but once you get over that it just sucks you in.

    It kind of feels a bit irrelevant due to Plague Ships (which retreads some of Lord Baltimore's history), but there's so much more to it that it's worth going through what's already known.
    Having read the novel first and then the plague ships I had that same feeling of irrelevance only in reverse.

  4. #34
    Junior Member Big_H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nowhere, In
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I think there was enough new material in Plague Ships that it was worthwhile for those of us who have already read the book. That said I was kind of hoping it would 100% new material with maybe only a few flashbacks.

  5. #35
    Senior Member UnravThreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_H View Post
    I think there was enough new material in Plague Ships that it was worthwhile for those of us who have already read the book. That said I was kind of hoping it would 100% new material with maybe only a few flashbacks.
    There's more than enough difference between them, but some of it does feel a bit... "oh no not this again i know this", if you get my meaning.

  6. #36
    Hell Notes Historian Middenway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,280

    Default

    The Plague Ships was burdened with needing to function as a story that was either introducing Lord Henry Baltimore for the first time, or simply the next part of a larger story. I think it did as well as it could, but it was hindered by this somewhat. I think after all the back story was out of the way, it was able to really pick up steam. The Curse Bells really benefitted from this freedom.

  7. #37
    Elder Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Posts
    20,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    The Plague Ships was burdened with needing to function as a story that was either introducing Lord Henry Baltimore for the first time, or simply the next part of a larger story. I think it did as well as it could, but it was hindered by this somewhat. I think after all the back story was out of the way, it was able to really pick up steam. The Curse Bells really benefitted from this freedom.
    It did seem to struggle with that in the first two parts but after that it really hit its stride.

  8. #38
    Senior Member UnravThreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    I finished it! Hurrah!

    Quite enjoyable, but the ending is a little wobbly.

  9. #39
    Elder Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Posts
    20,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    I finished it! Hurrah!

    Quite enjoyable, but the ending is a little wobbly.
    I thought the ending was pretty fun, the final battle had a real cinimatic feel to it. However, part of me did wish that the book had continued with its Waiting for Godot kind of vibe and that instead of Baltimore arriving just at the nick of time we got another story about Baltimore and yet another incidental myth only this time from the vampire. I think that really would have been a nice coda to the story, with the vampire then growing weary of fighting them when Baltimore didn't show up and just leaving.

  10. #40
    Senior Member UnravThreads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Hm, kinda. For me, though, it was more about the fight being compressed into a few pages, the writing being a little unclear (for me anyway) and it was very much - as you said - Baltimore turning up in the nick of time.

    Yawn. Would have preferred it if that bit had been removed entirely and the ending done in another way.

  11. #41
    Hell Notes Historian Middenway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I thought the ending was pretty fun, the final battle had a real cinimatic feel to it. However, part of me did wish that the book had continued with its Waiting for Godot kind of vibe and that instead of Baltimore arriving just at the nick of time we got another story about Baltimore and yet another incidental myth only this time from the vampire. I think that really would have been a nice coda to the story, with the vampire then growing weary of fighting them when Baltimore didn't show up and just leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Hm, kinda. For me, though, it was more about the fight being compressed into a few pages, the writing being a little unclear (for me anyway) and it was very much - as you said - Baltimore turning up in the nick of time.

    Yawn. Would have preferred it if that bit had been removed entirely and the ending done in another way.
    Yeah, having someone swoop in to save the day at the last minute is pretty unsatisfying. It's deus ex machina and it's boring. The original Star Wars has Han Solo swoop in at the last minute and save Luke, yet for some reason that worked and was emotionally satisfying. So what's the difference?

    The Han Solo Luke originally met wouldn't have come to rescue him. Han's adventures with Luke changed him, and made him into a better person. It worked, because the last hour of the film worked to earn that moment.

    If you want to have someone swoop in to save the day, you better be damn sure you earned it first.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •