Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    No, I can't say that. I don't read books looking for potential. I simply react to what's on the page. If the book is really good, I become immersed in the world, and I did become immersed in this. It's not the genre I usually read though, so there are certain stylistic choices I may not be familiar with. But it really did seem like a book about images to me. I frequently noticed entire paragraphs that could be summed up in a panel or two in a comic.

I felt it could benefit from some condensation in the description, especially when I felt it was restating already established elements of the plague. I like description kept to a bare minimum though. That's just a personal preference.
    Okay, I think for that I would understand better what you'd be meaning.
    I sort of get you saying it seems like imagery or images side-by-side, but I would think there'd be specifically made to be all kinds of very translucent or intricate or gradual bits at work in between or even in any such imagery as provided, sometimes gripping yet also very delicately, if not mostly quite deadly or captivating at the very least? With the narrative getting spun or woven in most intentional and purposeful varying ways, still?

Like the varying stages or flows getting interrupted would be all fully deliberate and intentional.
    Like how the video interview explains or how I tried to be describing it as in an earlier post.
    As how the video mentions the parlor or bar, where the book turns into tales getting told over drinks: I can honestly say the novel Baltimore did that better for me than any novel in the world that I'd be to know of, really. And i don't know much! So that should tell you or anybody something .
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-12-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: danged foreign typo's...
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

BANNED

Thanks for your insights on this. Found a copy and picked it up.
    I suppose I'll report back when I've read it.

I just read through this myself and I have to say I was floored. Maybe it's due to my limited exposure to Christopher Golden(I've only read his Hellboy and Buffy Novels) but I wasn't expecting it to be as great as it was. Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed Mr.Golden's novels but they were always just fun books(nothing wrong with that either) while Baltimore was a book with real literary weight, the imagery in particular was incredibly well done. I think it's strongest element though was it's semi-epistolary style. I say semi as the novel itself was not actually comprised of a series of letters but the stories around a bar room table gave it that same feel with its shifting points of view and lack of an omniscient narrator.

I really can't recommend the novel enough, especially to anyone who has a great love for Dracula as Baltimore really provides a fantastic bookend to Stoker's novel.

To continue the story I just purchased the Plague Ships and I preordered the Curse Bells hardcover, and I'm definitely going to pick up Dr. Leskovar's Remedy when it comes out this summer, but is there anything other than those that I'm misssing?

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

There was a Free Comic Book Day 2011 issue.
    http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/18-1...iminal-Macabre
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

Ah, thanks for that I thought I was missing something. Does that story fit between the Plague Ships and the Curse Bells or does it matter much when you read it?

Also as I was reading the previous posts in the thread I noticed it was mentioned that these comics take place in the time before the novel's conclusion and do not represent adventures taking place after the novel, is this explicitly stated in the comics or is it just something you sort of pick up on?

In order to speak spoiler free about Baltimore I will compare it to the Hellboy series.

Imagine if you will that the Baltimore novel covers an equivalent story arc as Hellboy went through from Seed of Destruction through to the end of Conqueror Worm and the Baltimore comics take place in the middle around Wake the Devil ect...

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Ah, thanks for that I thought I was missing something. Does that story fit between the Plague Ships and the Curse Bells or does it matter much when you read it?

Also as I was reading the previous posts in the thread I noticed it was mentioned that these comics take place in the time before the novel's conclusion and do not represent adventures taking place after the novel, is this explicitly stated in the comics or is it just something you sort of pick up on?

I don't want to be spoiled, but just we're clear do they take place before he reaches the village and writes his journal or after. It doesn't much matter I suppose but those are two areas of his journey that seem ripe for further stories.

The book was fantastic. I felt like i was reading a bram stoker novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr. Wormwood View Post
    There was a Free Comic Book Day 2011 issue.
    http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/18-1...iminal-Macabre
    That, Dr Leskovar's Remedy and three other one shot stories yet to be published will all be collected in the third Baltimore trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    That, Dr Leskovar's Remedy and three other one shot stories yet to be published will all be collected in the third Baltimore trade.
    I might wait for that then, the only listings I could find for the FCBD issue were on Ebay...and I don't really care to buy from there, I'd much rather Amazon or TFAW.

eBay, bah, I'm gonna hook you up. PMed.

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    eBay, bah, I'm gonna hook you up. PMed.
    That right there is just one of the many reasons I love this board. Twice now since joining this board I've mentioned certain issues I was after that I was having a hard time finding, and twice now those very issues arrived in the post anonymously from someone on here. From overseas, no less. So, so cool.
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

Quote Originally Posted by Jr. Wormwood View Post
    That right there is just one of the many reasons I love this board. Twice now since joining this board I've mentioned certain issues I was after that I was having a hard time finding, and twice now those very issues arrived in the post anonymously from someone on here. From overseas, no less. So, so cool.
    I was just about to say the same thing, just in this thread alone I've had two offers to help me out. I really don't know what to say, I love being a part of this community and I hope I can give back to it as much as its gave to me.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I was just about to say the same thing, just in this thread alone I've had two offers to help me out. I really don't know what to say, I love being a part of this community and I hope I can give back to it as much as its gave to me.
    Just let me know if you don't want the comic, I would be happy to offer it to anyone who would like it.

Quote Originally Posted by grogtheslayer View Post
    Just let me know if you don't want the comic, I would be happy to offer it to anyone who would like it.
    I'll take you up on the offer I was a bit conflicted at first as I just wasn't expecting that kind of generosity.