Any love for the Starjammers? Especially for my favorite Abomination doppleganger Ch'od?
Just recently, 'bout a week ago now, I posted this:
Women Of Marvel
ARE these Marvel's "Most Renowned Superheroines", if not their greatest?!
For the most part, I think so.
As some of you might remember from before, I posted this very same, original pic a while back also. Over four months ago to be eXact, for different reasons that I'll likely get into later, 'cause they're potentially relevant to the conversation. I'm using it again, but as a visual point of reference this time, to help me demonstrate SHSO's statistical performance in the area of making female characters available. I figured it was a good place to start, so here are some factual numbers I came up with:
- There have now been 103 total heroes made variably available throughout the game's relatively short history. Of that 103, 27 or about 26% were female characters, which translates roughly to 1 out of every 4 released being a superheroine. While I would say that's very commendable, it's really not overly shocking & groundbreaking in any way. In fact, it's probably safer to consider the "only 1 out of 4 will be female" mindset a current, practiced industry standard. However, I see signs the trend is changin' & headed in the right direction. For instance, if we were to look at SHSO's stats a lil differently, we could just as easily surmise that they have indeed been more successful than their competitors in this respect.
- That's because, the 103 also contains 33 mostly male iterations, which would leave only 70 original heroes if they were to be discounted & removed. Of the 70, 22 or about 31% are female, getting us ever closer to a 1 out of every 3 with that notable increase of over 5%. I'm guessin' that's gotta be better than average, at the very least.
- Marvel's ladies faired the worst when it came to the "retread"(< thanX, Spy) department, which shouldn't be much of a surprise. Of the 33 iterations, just 5 were women, dropping their share to a low of 15% - less than HALF the 31% achievement. You can delve deeper & find some encouraging results that would probably seem more promising, but I'm not sure it's really worth the trouble at this time.
- All but 5 of the 22 characters from my "Women of Marvel" image above have now become playable. At almost a whopping 80%, that's gotta be some sort of record high! I know, I know - but I don't care whether it's official or not, lol.
Ironically enough, while we may have not gotten Medusa, Crystal, Polaris, Dazzler, or Songbird as playable just yet - which IMO, is a crime, and I say that only half-jokingly - we did in fact over time get 5 other, different superheroines instead. Five eXactly, isn't that funny, as in wierd & strange - in a good way? Anyhoo, while I'm sure most of you know who the missing 5 are, let's dispense with any mystery. Here's a lil reminder:
Using those gals to replace the 5 mentioned who are still MIA, brings us from 17 right back up to 22 again. So, with 22 out of 70 playable characters being female - again, that's 31% - you think, like me, it's fair to say that's quite an accomplishment? That the PTB at SHSO have done both themselves, and us as fans, real proud? I think they must be fans themselves, treating these superheroines the same as their male counterparts, with plenty of respect & consideration. I mean, they seem to actually care, which is a novelty in & of itself these days. Not only did they give us quanity, but more importantly, quality as well. What more could we ask for?! Well, lol, we'll be getting to that in the neXt post.
In the meantime, to honor a job well done, an homage. Created in a similar vein as the first pic, with most the associated inspirations that suggests, and combined with the second - I present to you, another tribute(and possibly something more, like the official banner for this topic maybe):
To whom it may concern at SHSO -
And from a HUGE, MASSIVE, lifelong superfan of female superheroes -
Coming up: Part II of SHSO - "Women of Marvel"... FUTURE FEMALE CHARACTERS!!!
(Medusa, Crystal, Polaris, Dazzler, & Songbird return! But they're not alone this time!! This time they're bringin' a whole bunch of NEW friends along with 'em for the ride!!!)
Polaris, Jean, Dazz, S Witch, Wasp, Angel, Crawler, Gambit, Misty & Val, Thor, Namor, Strange, IW, Cap, Havok, QS, Crystal, BB, SpiderW, Widow, IceM, Torch, SongB, Panther, SS, GotG, DD
Looking forward to Part II, PSI. With all the attention of Marvel NOW! is getting with our partners at Gazillion, don't forget to include what seems to be the "Girl Power" flavor of the month, The New Defenders.
What will I do when Dani Moonstar is released before Warpath?
I think it would be much more likely that we get a playable Abomination that you could pretend is Ch'od.
My Geek Blog - onelostroad.blogspot.com/
Squad Info - 1000+, Dark Surfer
<laughs> since Archer likes crushing Christmas wishes of Ch'od, I'll move on...
Since we're getting more renowned playable villains, when we get Venom, will he be of the the Marvel NOW! Thunderbolt variety?
and how about a retread of Punisher with his spiffy red skull outfit, too?
SHSO Squad Name: Juggler Emperor
Squad Level: 1650+
Signature Hero: Arctic Armor Iron Man
CBR Team Council Member
Creator of the SHSO Identity Crisis blog
Marvel Heroes Beta Tester
Since Frank Cho said there will NOT be Ka-Zar in Marvel NOW!'s Savage Wolverine, hopefully we'll get Shanna the She-Devil,
and hopefully, Sauron for a mission.
I also expect to get ANOTHER Wolvie, too!
The CBR Codebreakers have found the following tidbits and spoilers in the latest content update (12/21). Sorry for the late post but I was enjoying myself like there was NO tomorrow yesterday...
Let's start with our "small print":
One of the perks of being a CBR SHSO Squad Member is that we have access to a group of game file junkies we dubbed the CBR Codebreakers. The CBR Codebreakers would ask that any of this "spoiler" information stay off of any official SHSO page. Afterall, it's a kids' game! Now, on to the good stuff!
1. Magneto is here. He's Scarlet Witch's father, so be careful how you look at her (talking about you Nader).
2. Dr. Doom had some more work done, and he is called Future Foundation Dr. Doom. He also will fly with rocket boosts. And is a farter. No word on whether the farts fuel the rocket boosts.
end of spoilers
3. Because Gazillion wants to bring families together and not tear them apart like Pictionary and Monopoly, they are bringing in Quicksilver. Or at least there is a VO (voiceover) for Magneto and his speedster son.
4. You like playable villains but feel there they have too much testosterone? How does a playable Mystique sound? Magneto has voice overs with her, too. The women that played Mystique in the movies are Rebecca Romijin and Jennifer Lawerance. Do yourself a favor and Google Image them.
...a half hour later....
5. But now you're saying, "What about FF Dr. Doom? Doesn't he have any friends?" First of all, quit being such a sensitive ninny. Second, yes he does they are Future Foundation Mr. Fantastic, FF Invisible Woman, and FF Thing (Doom has VO relationships with all of them) . How does that grab you?! Hmmmmm, to be grabbed by FF Invisible Woman (I'd tell you to Google Image Jessica Alba, but, I assume you have a whole folder of her on your PC or Mac).
6. Doom also has a VO relationship with Squirrel Girl. Nothing funny, here. Squirrels are terrifying.
7. We've all been told there are legal reasons for not having Bishop in the game. But, they did work on Bishop's VO codes. How do you explain that?!! We don't. We are as confused as you all are. Most still doubt him coming anytime soon, and if he does....Marvel NOW! has him as a villain. The CBR Codebreakers will keep an eye on him. DON'T EXPECT HIM.
8. For those of you who enjoy the card game, the name of the guy (in the code) who does the VO for the card game is "Mayor Stanley". Hopefully we get Stan and the Mayor in the game, but as to date, only this name gives us hope. And, sorry to the card players who thought I was going to give a card game spoiler with the first sentence here. It was cruel.
Keep on playing, True Believers! The CBR Codebreakers will continue to seek out the truth.