Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    The glass is half full. PSINGRAPHD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo Platypus View Post
    ... However, I doubt with her powers she would make it in game. I mean, she's basically a "flasher!" Amirite?!
    Hell no! IMO, Dazz has got one of the best & most versatile power-sets of any Marvel character out there. Basically, her entire body is capable of absorbing all sound & then converting it into various forms of light energy, including:

- simple patterns out of rays of light or combinations of patterns which produce trance-like effects in her targets
    - a pulse of light on the order of several thousand watts of power, which temporarily blinds people with its brilliance
    - a chaotic cascade of sparkling lights and colors that severely upsets other people's equilibrium, or a pulsating strobe-light effect
    - a coherent beam of light, approximating a laser beam, including an eXtremely powerful concentrated stream of solid photons
    - with effort, holograms of human beings and other three-dimensional beings and objects
    - the ability to stretch the electromagnetic spectrum to produce devastating microwave energy
    - to generate force fields & even flight

That's mostly from Wikipedia directly & this is from Marvel itself:

Dazzler can transduce sonic vibrations into various types of light. Dazzler prefers utilizing music, particularly that which is rhythmically sustained, but cannot use the sound of her own unamplified voice. Dazzler can generate illumination, create realistic holograms, emit pulses or strobes to blind or disorient others, and fire laser-like cutting beams or "solid photon" concussive force beams. She is immune to the harmful effects of bright lights and loud noise.
    Marvel Faves
    Polaris, Jean, Dazz, S Witch, Wasp, Angel, Gambit, QSilver, Crystal, BBolt, Namor, Thor, Strange, Cap, Widow, Falcon, IW, Torch, Mags, Crawler, Storm, Cap M, SpiderW, Fist, Panther, GotG

Default SHSO's 102 Playable Heroes!!

SHSO: The Playable Characters Compendium
    Current Total: 102

41 Avengers
    Iron Man
    x 7 (+ Arctic Armor*, Avengers, Hulkbuster, MK I, MK II, & Stealth Armor)
    Hulk x 4 (+ Avengers, Gladiator, & Indestructible)
    Thor x 4 (+ Avengers, Classic, & Ultimate)
    Captain America x 3 (+ Avengers & Super-Soldier)
    Hawkeye x 2 (+ Avengers)
    Black Widow x 2 (+ Avengers)

Scarlet Witch / Giant-Man / Wasp / Vision / Ms. Marvel / Black Panther / Bucky Cap / Spider-Woman / Falcon / War Machine / Tigra / Sentry / Firestar / Ant-Man / Iron Patriot / Red Hulk / Red She-Hulk / Reptil / American Dream = 19

26 X-Men
    Wolverine
    x 5 (+ Avenging, Classic**, Samurai, & Street Clothes)
    Cyclops x 2 (+ Astonishing)
    Storm x 2 (+ Mohawk)
    Jean Grey x 2 (+ Phoenix)
    Rogue x 2 (+ Avenging)

Beast / Colossus / Angel / Iceman / Nightcrawler / Emma Frost / Shadowcat / Gambit / Psylocke / Havok / Cable / Deadpool / Hope Summers = 13

6 Fantastic 4 & Future Foundation
    Thing
    x 2 (+ Tuxedo)

Mr. Fantastic / Human Torch / Invisible Woman / She-Hulk = 4

18 Marvel Knights
    Spider-Man
    x 4 (+ Armored*, Black Suit, & Future Foundation)
    Daredevil x 2 (+ Classic)
    Nick Fury x 2 (+ Avengers)
    Elektra x 2 (+ Pure)
    Scarlet Spider x 2 (+ Spider-Man Ben Reilly)

Punisher / Luke Cage / Black Cat / Spider-Girl / Ultimate Comics Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2099 = 6

7 Magical/Mystical, Mythological, & Supernatural

Doctor Strange / Ghost Rider / Moon Knight / Valkyrie / Blade / Werewolf By Night / Monkey King = 7

4 Cosmic
    Silver Surfer
    x 2 (+ Dark)

Nova / Captain Marvel = 2

* Rare code heroes from the physical card game.
    ** Code hero from the toy line; unsure if still available.
    Marvel Faves
    Polaris, Jean, Dazz, S Witch, Wasp, Angel, Gambit, QSilver, Crystal, BBolt, Namor, Thor, Strange, Cap, Widow, Falcon, IW, Torch, Mags, Crawler, Storm, Cap M, SpiderW, Fist, Panther, GotG

Oh, forgot to add, 69 originals & 33 iterations gets you to the 102 - so roughly 1/3 of the total are a bunch of redos!
    Marvel Faves

Junior Member Invisible Martian Archer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PSINGRAPHD View Post
    SHSO: The Playable Characters Compendium
    Current Total: 102

41 Avengers
    Iron Man
    Hawkeye x 2 (+ Avengers)

Scarlet Witch / Giant-Man / Wasp / Vision / Ms. Marvel / Black Panther / Bucky Cap / Spider-Woman / Falcon / War Machine / Tigra / Sentry / Firestar / Ant-Man / Iron Patriot / Red Hulk / Red She-Hulk / Reptil / American Dream = 19

26 X-Men
    Wolverine
    Storm x 2 (+ Mohawk)
    Rogue x 2 (+ Avenging)

Beast / Colossus / Angel / Iceman / Nightcrawler / Emma Frost / Shadowcat / Gambit / Psylocke / Havok / Cable / Deadpool / Hope Summers = 13

6 Fantastic 4 & Future Foundation
    Thing
    x 2 (+ Tuxedo)

Mr. Fantastic / Human Torch / Invisible Woman / She-Hulk = 4

18 Marvel Knights
    Spider-Man
    Elektra x 2 (+ Pure)

Punisher / Luke Cage / Black Cat / Spider-Girl / Ultimate Comics Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2099 = 6

7 Magical/Mystical, Mythological, & Supernatural

Doctor Strange / Ghost Rider / Moon Knight / Valkyrie / Blade / Werewolf By Night / Monkey King = 7

4 Cosmic
    Silver Surfer
    x 2 (+ Dark)

Good breakdown - Thanks...

But I've got to disagree with your grouping at times. For example, Moon Knight was an Avenger, as was Dr. Strange and Spider-Man. Future Foundation Spider-Man was obviously part of the Future Foundation so why not include him in that list? Avenging Wolvie is obviously the Avengers version but he's listed under X-Men.
    Squad Level - 1600+
    Signature Hero - Dark Surfer
    Repeated question - When are we getting new SHSO card game content?

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Martian Archer View Post
    Good breakdown - Thanks...

But I've got to disagree with your grouping at times. For example, Moon Knight was an Avenger, as was Dr. Strange and Spider-Man. Future Foundation Spider-Man was obviously part of the Future Foundation so why not include him in that list? Avenging Wolvie is obviously the Avengers version but he's listed under X-Men.
    You're welcome, Invisible Martian Archer, my pleasure.

• I have Moon Knight & Dr. Strange where they're at for many different, but IMO, legitimate & understandable reasons. Not the least of which is their presence being more or less required - to bolster the category, like pillars. That's the bottom line, that was my ultimate intent - in the end, I guess.

• I wanted to keep all of a character's multiple iterations, if they had them, isolated to a single category. That's one reason for Spider-Man & Wolverine being in their respective groupings only. Wolvie's an X-Man first & foremost - it's his home, it's where he belongs - it's where he should stay in these types of things, IMO. Spidey will always be his own thing to me, like DD, Punisher, the Heroes For Hire, or Fury & his S.H.I.E.L.D. organization. I don't see them as team players really, they're more "separate from" than "part of" - that's why they're the Marvel Knights! Spidey is Spider-Man first & an Avenger second, in my mind. That same ideology also applies to Moon & the good Doctor, BTW, and conversely - the reason I gave for their allocation works for Spidey & to a lesser degree, Wolvie as well.
    Marvel Faves

Default Waste of space?!

Question #1:

Do you think any or all of the following characters are superfluous heroes in nature?

Iron Patriot
    Red Hulk
    Red She-Hulk
    Reptil
    American Dream

Hope Summers
    Spider-Girl
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2099
    Monkey King

And tho I'm less inclined to include them, I'm gonna throw Scarlet Spider x 2 (+ Spider-Man Ben Reilly) & Werewolf By Night out there too - and add them to the miX!

Superfluous synonyms: extra, surplus, redundant, unnecessary, unessential, excessive, unneeded, needless, gratuitous, spare

Questions #2 & 3:

If yes, do you think their spots would've been better filled by other heroes? If so, then which characters would've been your personal picks to replace them?

Question #4:

Are their any other characters you believe should join the list of possible "Superfluous Heroes"?

The reason I ask - 'cause if I might even remotely feel that way myself, 'bout any character - those heroes I've listed would be my only potential choices. Oh, and to be clear - I'm strictly talkin' 'bout original, one-of-a-kind heroes - NOT iterations!< Except maybe in Scarlet Spider's case, lol.
    Marvel Faves

Default What if?

For instance, instead of this bunch:

Iron Patriot
    Red Hulk
    Red She-Hulk
    Reptil
    American Dream

Hope Summers
    Spider-Girl
    Spider-Man 2099
    Monkey King

Would you have been happier if Gazillion & Marvel had given us the following?

Quote Originally Posted by GothamLord View Post
    I'll throw my two cents into the pot with my top ten.

1. Songbird
    2. Pete Wisdom
    3. Wonder Man
    4. Iron Fist
    5. Mockingbird
    6. Quicksilver
    7. Hercules
    8. Magik
    9. Polaris
    10. Sif
    Marvel Faves

For instance, instead of this bunch:

Iron Patriot
    Red Hulk
    Red She-Hulk
    Reptil
    American Dream

Hope Summers
    Spider-Girl
    Spider-Man 2099
    Monkey King

I LOVE Monkey King, I also don't mind "iterations" (I call them "retreads") as long as they are not REPAINTS (same emotes, combos, anf PU/HU). But, I don't think any of will be satisfied until they get their next top hero...and after they max that hero, they'll be looking for their next top hero. Wow, just made this into an addiction.

And here is the version of Doctor Nemesis I want:

Last edited by CenturianSpy; 12-10-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    SHSO NAME: Gallant Centurion Spy
    Next "Most Wanted": Weekend Holidays

Da Trillest Zen Gangsta benfromcanada's Avatar
    As you can tell from my username, I'm from Bangladesh

Question #1:

Do you think any or all of the following characters are superfluous heroes in nature?

Iron Patriot
    Red Hulk
    Red She-Hulk
    Reptil
    American Dream

Hope Summers
    Spider-Girl
    Spider-Man 2099
    Monkey King

And tho I'm less inclined to include them, I'm gonna throw Scarlet Spider x 2 (+ Spider-Man Ben Reilly) & Werewolf By Night out there too - and add them to the miX!

Superfluous synonyms: extra, surplus, redundant, unnecessary, unessential, excessive, unneeded, needless, gratuitous, spare
    I know what superfluous means, thanks, and I'm sure most of the rest of us do, too. And what in the world do the colours signify here? Anyway, no. I do not think they're superfluous. As much as I loathe Red Hulk, as much as I don't care about American Dream or Reptil, as much as I hate the costume they gave Spider-Girl, I like that these heroes are in the game. They have different movesets and/or powers than the hero you seem to think they ripped off (and they're mostly original characters, to boot) and they have their fans. I'm really glad they have the Monkey King available, because now the players of Asian descent have a hero to call their own (no, Psylocke doesn't count, she's a white upper-middle class British woman transplanted into a Japanese woman's body). I'm really glad that Reptil, Miles Morales and Miguel O'Hara are in the game, because that gives Hispanics a hero to call their own (and hell, Miles and Miguel are twofers, as Miles is half black and Miguel's half Irish). Also, I like both USM and 2099, so there's that. I'm glad Iron Patriot is in, because he was pretty cool in Dark Avengers and he's fun to play as. In short, no, I don't agree with you.

Questions #2 & 3:

If yes, do you think their spots would've been better filled by other heroes? If so, then which characters would've been your personal picks to replace them?
    The thing you don't seem to understand is that there isn't a limit to the available heroes. They've placed a sort of limit to the store, but that's only to increase the perceived value of a few heroes so that people will rush to buy them when they're brought back (for a limited time only, until next time).

Question #4:

Are their any other characters you believe should join the list of possible "Superfluous Heroes"?

The reason I ask - 'cause if I might even remotely feel that way myself, 'bout any character - those heroes I've listed would be my only potential choices. Oh, and to be clear - I'm strictly talkin' 'bout original, one-of-a-kind heroes - NOT iterations!< Except maybe in Scarlet Spider's case, lol.
    There is no such thing as a superfluous hero, in this game, except perhaps for some of the repainted clone heroes that have identical movesets and powers to another version. However, each is almost justified - Classic Daredevil is available for silver while DareDevil is only available via Challenges, Pure Elektra isn't in the store anymore while Elektra is only available via Challenges, Avenging Wolverine is a clone of a hero that's only available through a code. I'm not aware of any other variants that don't have any differences, but aside from Pure Elektra (who should be brought back and put in the store at 20K silver OR changed to have different abilities than Elektra) there's a justification for them being straight-up clones.
    Last edited by benfromcanada; 12-10-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Smashing Clown Juggler in Superhero Squad Online
    Signature Hero: Punisher
    Level: 2100+
    3rd Place In The 1st Top Squad Contest
    Badges to get: Venom, Frankenstein

Question #4:
    Generally, I don't like the alternate costumes for existing heroes, but I understand that they sell well for the movie heroes (Spiderman/Hulk/IronMan/Wolverine/Thor). If putting Indestructible Hulk in the game makes enough money to cover more obscure heroes (like Firestar), then I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by benfromcanada View Post
    There is no such thing as a superfluous hero, in this game, except perhaps for some of the repainted clone heroes that have identical movesets and powers to another version. However, each is almost justified - Classic Daredevil is available for silver while DareDevil is only available via Challenges, Pure Elektra isn't in the store anymore while Elektra is only available via Challenges, Avenging Wolverine is a clone of a hero that's only available through a code. I'm not aware of any other variants that don't have any differences, but aside from Pure Elektra (who should be brought back and put in the store at 20K silver OR changed to have different abilities than Elektra) there's a justification for them being straight-up clones.
    In addition to Pure Elektra, Classic DD, and Avenging Wolverine, clones include Spider-man Ben Reilly, Tuxedo Thing, and the card heroes (Armored Spider-man, AA Iron Man, White Phoenix).

Default SHSO's Playable Heroes - updated! Now at 103!!!

SHSO: The Playable Characters Compendium 2.0
    Current Total: 103

42 Avengers
    Iron Man
    Hawkeye x 2 (+ Avengers)

Scarlet Witch / Giant-Man / Wasp / Ant-Man / Vision / Ms. Marvel / She-Hulk / Black Panther / Spider-Woman / Falcon / Tigra / Firestar / Bucky Cap / War Machine / Sentry / Iron Patriot / Red Hulk / Red She-Hulk / Reptil / American Dream = 20

26 X-Men
    Wolverine
    Storm x 2 (+ Mohawk)
    Rogue x 2 (+ Avenging)

Beast / Angel / Iceman / Colossus / Nightcrawler / Shadowcat / Emma Frost / Gambit / Psylocke / Havok / Cable / Deadpool / Hope Summers = 13

18 Marvel Knights
    Spider-Man
    Elektra x 2 (+ Pure)

8 Magical/Mystical, Mythological, & Supernatural

Doctor Strange / Ghost Rider / Moon Knight / Valkyrie / Blade / Morbius / Werewolf By Night / Monkey King = 8

5 Fantastic 4 & Future Foundation
    Thing
    x 2 (+ Tuxedo)

Mr. Fantastic / Human Torch / Invisible Woman = 3

4 Cosmic
    Silver Surfer
    x 2 (+ Dark)

Added Morbius; moved She-Hulk from F4/FF to Avengers; changed around the order of some characters & categories.
    Last edited by PSINGRAPHD; 12-14-2012 at 09:04 AM.
    Marvel Faves

I have decided on the top 5 costumes I would like to see playable.
    1. Classic Wolverine- I know he is a code hero but I think his chances are good since he is being given out with other shop heroes in the Christmas contest.
    2. Modern Scarlet Spider- I love his outfit and he has his own comic.
    3. Agent Venom- He would be a good hero
    4. Green Goblin- Not sure if this counts as a costume but some people used the Goblin costume to be a hero.
    5. Green outfit Doctor Doom- Playing as the regular version of him would be nice since we get to use regular Magneto

Default Superfluous Heroes Topic a Nonstarter!

Speaking retrospectively, due to the negative connotations I now associate with the original line of questioning. So we'll quickly be moving on past it, to a new, more "celebrated" subject. One that's much more optimistic in spirit & enthusiastic in tone. In other words, one that I'm more comfortable with, lol. Before we do tho, I'd just like to note it wasn't a total loss & that some great points were raised, by:

Spy - You're right, our satisfaction with new heroes probably is only ever temporary. It seems even when we get who we want most, that after a while, we still always want more. It's the nature of the beast, I guess.

Ben - A really great thing you metioned was the ethnic diversity of a hero's alter ego. About its importance to players around the world, giving them each somebody to relate to on a more personal level. I'm so ashamed & embarassed for missing this, I'm usually more racially sensitive than that.

Magenta - Yes, I agree. If multiple versions of Spider-Man, Iron Man, & Wolverine are what it takes to make the likes of Firestar possible, then so be it. Looking at it that way, it becomes sort of a necessary evil.
    Marvel Faves

Speaking retrospectively, due to the negative connotations I now associate with the original line of questioning. So we'll quickly be moving on past it, to a new, more "celebrated" subject. One that's much more optimistic in spirit & enthusiastic in tone. In other words, one that I'm more comfortable with, lol.
    I think we need to heed the words of General Disarray when it comes to talking about "Superfluous" characters:

"Simpson's did it!"

In Simpson's episode 514, "Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy", the plot revolves around Lisa convincing a Toy company to release a better character (in this case a doll) instead of the empty but VERY popular Malibu Stacy. The toy company releases the less bankable character BUT also releases this:

...and of course the masses chose Malibu Stacy with the new hat... a REPAINT! This makes me introspective. I think if my beloved Warpath or any X-Force hero came out at the same time a new Hulk or Wolverine (I'm an unabashed fanboy of the two) and I only had enough gold for one...my fanboydom would probably win out. This probably upsets you hipsters...wait...Simpson's just did an episode on hipsters. Nevermind.
    SHSO NAME: Gallant Centurion Spy
    Next "Most Wanted": Weekend Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by CenturianSpy View Post
    ... I think if my beloved Warpath or any X-Force hero came out at the same time a new Hulk or Wolverine (I'm an unabashed fanboy of the two) and I only had enough gold for one...my fanboydom would probably win out. ...
    Are you sayin' you'd actually choose yet another Hulk or Wolvie over WARPATH?! Say it ain't so, Spy, say it ain't so. Great analogy, BTW, both funny & relevant at the same time. And sadly, dependin' on your perspective, accurate. Regardless, BIG thumbs up!
    Marvel Faves