Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: LIVE: Rick Remender and Gabriel Hardman on "Secret Avengers"

Writer Rick Remender and artist Gabriel Hardman discuss their upcoming "Secret Avengers" arc in a LIVE press conference call. CBR News is on hand with all the details.

Full article here.

BANNED

I really like how this guy draws Beast. It looks looks like classic Ape Beast.

"In Clint's eyes, he's a direct approach sort of guy," said Remender. "An archer's skillset and powerset is something that works really well in covert work. The point one issue also sees Cap sniffing around how well Clint can keep his cool in tense spy situations. Other than that, I think Clint has leadership abilities. Clint definitely thinks that he's Cap's equal, he's not his subordinate."
    I know there's been a lot of talk about this, but I just have a lot of trouble seeing how Clint converts to spy. Yes, he worked with Mockingbird's WCA and, yes, an archer does tend to stand back a little, but even with his skill set, Clint's usually been up front.

That said, Rick's right that Clint definitely thinks he's Cap's equal. I think his leadership abilities, however, tend to be more in specific situations. He works well with less polished/accomplished teams, like early Avengers West and TBolts. He's kind of like a head coach who is fantastic in college but struggled when he goes to the pros (like Pitino or Calipari in basketball, or Saban in football).

Still not all that pleased about Venom being on the team (why not Julia, who would make more sense considering her background, if we absolutely have to have a spider-character?) but I am looking forward to picking up the title again post-Ellis.

Chaotically Neutral Specimen 297's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motteditor View Post
    Still not all that pleased about Venom being on the team (why not Julia, who would make more sense considering her background, if we absolutely have to have a spider-character?) but I am looking forward to picking up the title again post-Ellis.
    Why NOT Venom?
    I'd just like everyone to know that not only am I dropping Marvel, I'm dropping this forum considering I'm not even allowed to voice a negative opinion because a thread "isn't about me".

That's "Lemmy from Motorhead," not "Lenny."
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Remender
    Now, here he [Flash] is with the power of Spider-Man, he's also an Avenger. It's like that 18-year-old kid whose band blows up and he meets Madonna. I'm not comparing the Avengers to Madonna, but you get the analogy.
    Kinda like how Justice was when he joined the Busiek/Perez Avengers? :)
    "You're NOT getting a signal watch!" -- Bob Rozakis

Roadie Avenger RoadDoggBigPauly's Avatar

Speculations on the Vision-esque looks of alot of those Descendant robots?
    MARVEL: SSM, SSMTU, NewWarriors, UncannyAvengers, Thunderbolts, WaTXM, XMen, XFactor, Deadpool, GOTG, UXM, DC: Batman, SuicideSquad, HarleyQuinn, IMAGE: Spawn, WalkingDead, DARKHORSE: StarWars

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDoggBigPauly View Post
    Speculations on the Vision-esque looks of alot of those Descendant robots?
    I believe he said the Descendants are descendants of every robot / android built, so those most be the ones modeled / descended from Vision.

I like Remender well enough but this roster isn't too appealing to me. Hank Pym and Captain Brittan do nothing for me as far as making me want to read this book. If they wanted to put Brian on an avengers team they should have put him in the main book and Hank should just stay at the academy. I don't mind Clint being on the team but don't like him as the leader. Black Widow or even War Machine would be my pick. Looks like the original Human Torch may be joining the team for whatever reason I don't know. I would have liked a team of War Machine, Black Widow, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Beast, Valkyrie, Venom and Agent 13

I have to say, I'm not sure how the script is going to save that scene with Hawkeye shooting Captain Britain in the mouth. Not exactly a leadership move there.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Valkyrie has one of the worst costumes i've ever seen.

Loved the covers.
    Loved the artwork!
    Daredevil, Hawkguy, Secret Avengers, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Magneto, Punisher, Wonder Woman, The Wake, Batman, Velvet, Jupiter's Legacy, Black Science,Starlight and Zero.

Picture Book Liker

Unhappy Why I can't love Secret Avengers

Okay, so Hawkeye is my favorite hero, followed up by Hank Pym. I'm a Captain Britain fan, I love Eric O'Grady's lecherous Ant-Man and am looking forward to the return of (what looks to be) the original Human Torch. I want so bad to like this series enough to start buying it again, but...

1) The art is not something I could get excited about (except those gorgeous Art Adams covers!).

2) Despite what the movies are trying to say, Clint does not belong in an espionage-geared team, let alone as its leader. I picture him as the first guy to get impatient and just start lobbing arrows. Besides, at this point, Hawkeye is in every other Marvel title, anyway, so it's not like I'm missing my Clint fix.

3) $3.99 is overpriced for a comic and I'm done getting wallet-raped.

4) So far SA has shown no stability as an on-going title. Additionally, it has never convinced me that it needs to be "Secret" at all.

...I hate that I'm going to have to skip this title, but I just don't want to pay good money to be a party to my own disappointment.

Valued Member Since 2008 semicyon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joemagnum611 View Post
    I like Remender well enough but this roster isn't too appealing to me. Hank Pym and Captain Brittan do nothing for me as far as making me want to read this book. If they wanted to put Brian on an avengers team they should have put him in the main book and Hank should just stay at the academy. I don't mind Clint being on the team but don't like him as the leader. Black Widow or even War Machine would be my pick. Looks like the original Human Torch may be joining the team for whatever reason I don't know. I would have liked a team of War Machine, Black Widow, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Beast, Valkyrie, Venom and Agent 13
    Well, the original Human Torch IS an android... a story about the Descendents and the evolution of all of Marvel's various robots/mechanical beings should involve their very first (published) one. I can't recall... is there any other bots/droids/synthozoids/etc. that predate the Human Torch?

Wonder if the Mannites or the Livewires/Evolved LMDs will be incorporated. Loved that Livewires mini... too bad those new characters didn't catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Specimen 297 View Post
    Why NOT Venom?
    Just not a fan of the character. Granted, I guess Flash Thompson is a different brand of Venom*, but I suppose I still feel the oversaturation effects of how much he was used back in the Brock days. I certainly don't see him as the "reader perspective" type of character, since I have nothing in common with the character and I worry that means too much of this story will be from his POV, which I certainly don't want.

* But that still keeps the spider-books far more involved with the Avengers titles than I want.

Also disagree with them about the costume. Fine, they want to bring the movie watchers in, I can appreciate that. But Hawkeye's an old carny, a larger than life character. His classic costume represents that. It's bigger than life and attracts eyes because that's what Hawkeye wants. Something where he blends in? I just don't see him wearing that. Now, if you're going to put him in an espionage role, maybe it makes more sense in SA, but at least let him have his real costume in AA, where he's trying to model superheroics to the kids.
    Last edited by motteditor; 01-09-2012 at 01:12 PM.