Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum_Valentino View Post
    Give the hyperbole a rest Merrick.
    I'd love to, but I have to let my frustration out somewhere. I have been waiting for a definitive Knightfall collection for YEARS and I was beyond excited when it was announced that the entire Knightfall saga would get collected. I was looking forward to getting higher quality paper and the never before released chapters than the current Broken Bat and Who Rules the Night collections provide.

Instead, they give us what is essentially a glued together version of the aforementioned TPBs.

Does this contain any of the lead-in issues (Riddler on Venom, Croc vs Bane round 1, Bruce sick, etc.), or just the original 2 trades + Vengeance of Bane slapped on at the beginning?

I have to agree with merrick to a degree. A big part of the reason I've held off on buying Knightfall for so long was the hope I'd get a collection with decent paper. Moreover though it was just kind of blindsiding that this got the crap paper even though they just started re-releasing stuff like NML with glossy(the original NML trades had this kind of paper too no? Might be wrong there but my point stands... ).

Also I'm not familiar with the pages fading or anything but my biggest complaint is that is just makes the book feel cheap. It's a 600+ page book but it's light as a feather and I always feel like I'm the slightest twitch from ripping a page.
    Last edited by World's_Greatest_Detective; 05-02-2012 at 08:39 PM.

or just the original 2 trades + Vengeance of Bane slapped on at the beginning?
    This.

Yea, the only negative I have is the continued leaving out of the prelude issues (Venomed Riddler, Croc vs Bane rnd 1, etc). Sword of Azrael I'll let slide because it already has a trade that you can just get.
    DC discarded their history, and now has none. DC will always be in the shadows of their past work.

Life-Long Ring Slinger! samurai_rob's Avatar

I would have liked to see Sword of Azrael included, especially if this new omnibus is gonna be in hardback. Knightfall is what got me back into the bat books as a kid and I would love to see it get the full Absolute Edition treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by World's_Greatest_Detective View Post
    I have to agree with merrick to a degree. A big part of the reason I've held off on buying Knightfall for so long was the hope I'd get a collection with decent paper. Moreover though it was just kind of blindsiding that this got the crap paper even though they just started re-releasing stuff like NML with glossy(the original NML trades had this kind of paper too no? Might be wrong there but my point stands... ).

Also I'm not familiar with the pages fading or anything but my biggest complaint is that is just makes the book feel cheap. It's a 600+ page book but it's light as a feather and I always feel like I'm the slightest twitch from ripping a page.
    It was a blindsided slap in the face by DC and it makes this collection worthless.

The original No Mans Land had the same newsprint paper, but they upgraded to glossy for the new TPBs and they are MUCH better for it.

I would have been perfectly happy if DC had used the same paper from The Dark Knight Returns and Year One paperbacks, but no.

I may or may not buy the next two TPBs since they contain never before released material, but I will wait until they get like a 60% off sale from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung8 View Post
    Does this contain any of the lead-in issues (Riddler on Venom, Croc vs Bane round 1, Bruce sick, etc.), or just the original 2 trades + Vengeance of Bane slapped on at the beginning?
    That is exactly what it was. No more. No less.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung8 View Post
    I have no problem with the paper I love the smell and i have no problem with the wear and tear of other books with this quality paper. I do wish however it included the aforementioned lead in issues. Without them it doesnt feel right, If you were to pick this book up and had no previous knowledge of the story i would be very disappointed and confused. I havnt read this story for years so im enjoying going through this immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by World's_Greatest_Detective View Post
    I always feel like I'm the slightest twitch from ripping a page.
    That's odd. It's the super thin glossy paper they sometimes use that I find rips too easily. Never the matte paper.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That's odd. It's the super thin glossy paper they sometimes use that I find rips too easily. Never the matte paper.
    You missed the point. The new Knightfall TPB does NOT use matte paper! Its uses that old crappy newsprint paper that has a quality equivalent to a phonebook. Identical to the old Knightfall TPBs.

Quote Originally Posted by osoito View Post
    I have no problem with the paper I love the smell and i have no problem with the wear and tear of other books with this quality paper.
    No problem with the wear and tear? You're ok with that? Most people buy things and expect them to last....

Quote Originally Posted by jgiannantoni05 View Post
    This.

Yea, the only negative I have is the continued leaving out of the prelude issues (Venomed Riddler, Croc vs Bane rnd 1, etc). Sword of Azrael I'll let slide because it already has a trade that you can just get.
    A pity. Well, I'll still pick this up so that all of the volumes match on my shelf (I'll be getting volumes 2 & 3 for the Knightquest & Prodigal inclusions).

If DC didn't want to include these here, I think putting them in the "Batman versus Bane" tpb would have been perfect & they could have left out "Bane of the Demon". And then in my fantasy world, they would have put Bane of the Demon at the beginning of a new printing of Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_rob View Post
    I would have liked to see Sword of Azrael included, especially if this new omnibus is gonna be in hardback. Knightfall is what got me back into the bat books as a kid and I would love to see it get the full Absolute Edition treatment!
    If DC gave these a hardcover or omnibus treatment they would instantly be forgiven and I would be more than willing to pay the $75 coverprice (assuming it will cost $40 through amazon).

As it stands they had an opportunity and the blew it (as far as Im concerned) as badly as they could.

Life is slowly going on.....

Quote Originally Posted by merrick97 View Post
    No problem with the wear and tear? You're ok with that? Most people buy things and expect them to last....
    What I mean is it doesnt wear and tear because I'm a responsible adult and can look after a book and dont have a tendancy to pick it up with sticky fingers and throw it across the room, let the dog have a go of it or leave it out in the rain. I have comics from the seventies and they may be slightly more yellow then when brand new but aside from that they are pristine.

Saying all that I completely take your point, the newer glossy pages you refer to are much better and it should have been printed in this format. I completely understand your complaints and you are fully warranted to have a rant and people deserve to get both sides of spectrum before spending a considerable amount of money on this collection.

I'm really glad this trade came out and I'm very happy with it. The paper is fine, I don't really care either way. I have trades with the same type of paper that have lasted 20 years, this will be fine. Despite merrick97's claims it is not the same type of paper as that in a phone book. I understand it isn't glossy so it seems the same, but the pages are a little bit thicker. My A Lonely Place of Dying trade is more than 20 years old, same type of paper, and has lasted about 15 readings without suffering any problems or damage due to paper quality, so take the claims this thing won't last seem a bit facetious to me. In fact, I think the binding might be able to withstand this type of paper better since it isn't as heavy as the glossy stuff, so it may last a little longer despite not looking as pretty.

This is a gigantic trade for only $30 retail, a full 100 pages more than the No Man's Land trade, I hope DC continues this trend. Maybe, just maybe, someday they could collect the Gerry Conway Strange Apparitions sequel this same way.