Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    My collection was a mess, so now that I have a room I can get everything organized in, I've been buying supplies to try and finally sort everything out. I mean, I have whole boxes of comics that I bought in the 1980's that I've never even bagged. So far I've ended up buying 39 short drawer boxes, plus probably over a thousand bags, with like three hundred boards as well, not to mention the COmicBase program to index everything on my computer. The cost of all that is north of $600, which is one reason I never got those issues of Boy I was looking for. but by god, my collection is finally organized.
    Can we get a picture of the little whippersnapper? :-)

--Tom
    My Favorites: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Superior Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man

Almost Done Collecting ASM: Want issues 1, 3, 4, 8, 11, and 18 - Ann. 1 & 2

I want to complete a few more runs. I'll probably complete Sin City in trade format and start working on one of my smaller runs like Hack Slash or Elflord or something. Also, buy more Bronze Age mags and more hardcover trades.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Here was mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    My comics-related goal for 2012 is to finish indexing the pre-Crisis runs of Action, Batman, Detective, Flash, Fury of Firestorm, Green Lantern, Legion of Super-Heroes (both titles), New Adventures of Superboy, New Teen Titans (second series), Supergirl, Superman and Wonder Woman. Since I've completed them all up through the December '83 issues, this should be eminently doable.
    And I did, along with completing indexes for a multitude of Marvel titles. All in all, a good year.

Cei-U!
    I summon the checkmark!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Oh, I thought we were talking about next years goals. It's already gonna be 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    I'm not going to spend a lot of money on comics this year. I'll likely be filling in runs with dollar comics. Usagi Yojimbo, Cerebus, ect. I have narrowed my focus big time so probably not a lot of neat oddities just because I found a deal. If I buy any expensive comics it will be the last few issues of Akira from Epic. And I think I'm missing one issue of Cannon by Wally Wood that I might shell out cash for. Other than that my main goal is to not spend too much on comics
    I did all this, except buy any Cerebus or Usagi floppies. I cut spending down to a fraction of what it was, finished that Cannon series, and finished my Akira run.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Hmmm 2012 goals

1) finish cataloging my collection including indexing creative teams and scanning in covers
    Kind of gave up on this when I found a free online comic database that did a lot of the work for me.

2) coordinate comics list with trade paperback lists so I don't buy issues I have collected in trades and trades collecting issues I have-I don't have resources to duplicate purchases even though there are merits to having them in both formats.
    Done

3) finish 2011 project of replacing older bags and boards with new ones on books I have had boxed for more than 7+ years and have started to show signs of wear.
    Replaced old bags & boards but haven't gotten bags & boards for all the new stuff I picked up this year yet

4) double check want lists once cataloging is complete to make sure they are accurate (make sure I didn't miss checking things off that I picked up last year but haven't cataloged as of yet)
    Still a work in progress with the new stuff I got this year.

5) turn boxes of unwanted comics or trade/single issue duplicates into store credits or cash to use to get books I want (we have to get the roof done in the spring and had two huge vet bills this year so the budget for buying back issues is thin this year, so will not be buying a lot unless I can do this).
    Did fairly well with this, traded a few high grade Avengers minor keys I had collected in trade for a large run of Warlords and other comics at one shop, traded a bunch of stuff into Lonestar for credit and filled in a bunch of runs, traded in old books to Half Price books and used it to get trades and/or back issues, etc. I still have a long box and a short box of stuff I'd like to trade, but I did make progress on this.

6) finish off runs I need only a handful of books on including:
    -Amethyst (only need 3 of the issues from the 87-88 mini to complete run)
    -Zatanna (didn't realize she had a recent series by Paul Dini until near the end of the run, picked up all but 2 of the issues
    Power Man & Iron Fist (need 1 issue to complete, oh where oh where are you #116, haven't seen one at a shop in over 5 years and I don't ebay anymore)
    -Phantom Stranger (need 8-9 issues I think)
    finished Amethyst, Zatanna, and PM & IF. Didn't get the PS issues but did pick up both of the Showcase Volumes to complete the run.

7) continue to find cheap sword & sorcery comics (Arion, Arak, Claw, Warlord, Conan, Kull, Sonja, etc. is quarter and dollar bins
    Have done fairly well with this. Completed Claw, Beowulf, Sword of Sorcery and Stalker runs, the Grell Warlord run-though I still need some issues post 100 in the series, have the first half of Arion done, Arak has proved troublesome finding around here, and a picked up a few dozen Conans, Savage Swords, COnan Sagas, Kulls, and Red Sonjas over the course of the year, so not bad.

8) continue to find cheap CrossGen issues and trades-I ignored them when they came out but read some a few years back and thought there was some fun stuff there
    Not so much on this, other things drew my attention away from Crossgen for most of the year, but I did pick up a few cheap trades and issues here and there.

9) read more stuff from my unread piles
    Still a work in progress, but the pile seems to grow faster than I can read it down.

10) reread some classic runs from my collection-Starlin's Dreadstar & Mantlo's Micronauts currently top the list
    Haven't gotten to rereading anything, have been focusing on reading stuff I hadn't read before, so this took a back seat for now.

So all in all, made pretty good progress on the 2012 goals and am starting to formulate my 2013 goals now.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Have done fairly well with this. Completed Claw, Beowulf, Sword of Sorcery and Stalker runs, the Grell Warlord run-though I still need some issues post 100 in the series, have the first half of Arion done, Arak has proved troublesome finding around here, and a picked up a few dozen Conans, Savage Swords, COnan Sagas, Kulls, and Red Sonjas over the course of the year, so not bad.
    -M
    Warlord isn't worth reading after Grell left.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Warlord isn't worth reading after Grell left.
    Not true! Well, in my opinion, anyway. It's a different feel to the book, but I think Warlord is worth reading up through #100.

After #100, well, that's a different story. The main reason to get them is that Grell was still doing covers occasionally and some of them are really good. But the book does become a mess after #100. But I think the post-Grell stuff up until #100, which for the most part forms one big epic from #73-100, is worth a read. Even the goofy stuff, like when Travis travels to the future and becomes President of the United States. What can I say, I have a soft spot for that story.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by killerbass View Post
    Can we get a picture of the little whippersnapper? :-)

--Tom
    Sure. This isn't quite all of them, I have another stack of boxes on another wall, but you get the idea. The magazine boxes on top are going to be moved once I finished re-arranging the rest of the room. Eventually I hope to build some cabinets to put the boxes inside, but they don't look too bad this way -- certainly not as terrible as piles of old longboxes used to. And a heck of a lot easier to get in and out of thanks to the drawers. I also need to put up some decorations on the wall above the boxes, such as my original art, once I have a chance:

At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by benday-dot View Post
    My goal is similar, but perhaps more expansive, to MDG's... read Love and Rockets, new... and old stuff I still haven't gotten to.

And of course plug away at my Kirby collection... moving back in time toward 1964 presently.
    Progress on both fronts. I finally did pick up the first three volumes of Locas not long ago. But the fun part remains... getting around to reading them for the first time. I predict I won't be disappointed.

I only need about 10 more Kirby issues to have the Jan 1965-death portion of Jacks complete works. The tip of the iceberg, but I'm pretty sure my feet are wet.

My progress report:

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    One of my goals is already accomplished: to find a back issue want list app for my iPhone & put my want list on it. Done. Not 100% thrilled with the app (ComicHound), but it's there until something better comes along.
    I've gone back to an MS Word file. The app was good, but not when it comes to going to conventions and trying to buy stuff.

Second, I want to trade (or sell) my 10 boxes of unwanted back issues for ... uh, wanted back issues.
    No movement. Boxes still sitting there. Ug.
    Finally, I want to add to my Manning Tarzan run, get the last three issues of Batman Family I need, and get Infinity Inc. #19 so I can read the JLA/JSA crossover it's involved in.
    I did indeed add to my Manning Tarzan run. I wasn't able to find the Batman Family issues or Infinity, Inc. 19, but I did find DC 2000 #1-2, which is quite hard to find (many retailers don't recall its existence), so I'm satisfied.

If I happen to see 1970s Batmans, Detectives, or Brave and Bolds I'm interested in for a surprisingly low price, I'll get them. Unfortunately, I suspect I'll instead be working on low-priced things like Weird War Tales and Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves.
    I picked up maybe 5 issues of each of those three Batman books, but I didn't find any issues of the latter two titles at all.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloydsound17 View Post
    First goal is to collect comics and not end up actually spending money. What I mean is, carefully buying books that I like and selling extras that are not really my style to break even. I find it has gone well so far. I have picked up about 15 comics already in this form.

Second would be to finish grading and documenting my entire collection. I still have about 50-60 comics (mostly PPTSS) that need to be recorded. Just a personal thing.

Third is to find a nice copy of ASM #248

Fourth is to look out for more Captain America books. Anything between #120-200. I already have a couple of the earlier issues with Spidey as a guest star but feel compelled to add to that area of my collection.

Fifth is to find copies of V for Vendetta, Logicomix, LXG, Maus II
    Haha I kind of forgot these were my goals. Well I have still managed to spend very wisely so that one is met.

Never finished grading my stuff though...I would rather read and collect than worry too much about grading.

I did find a nice copy of ASM #248!! Loved reading that story.

Can't say that I added much more Cap to the collection...however I did branch out into Batman and, as we speak, I am eyeing some nice horror issues for which Neal did the covers. I am feeling that Batman and horror comics are going to be my next thing for the coming year.

And finally, I have yet to read any of those graphic books. Part of me wants to try and seek original issue for V for Vendetta but that could get pricey. I could always just zip on down to Chapters or wherever and get a new copy of these as TPBs but I like looking for older copies online.

So I guess I didnt do too bad...I recently added my 600th book to the collection. I am sure we will have a new thread in the new year with which to update some goals

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Dawson View Post
    I'm going to read proportionally more comics than comics internet.

I'm going to quit grousing about my LCS not stocking "my kind of comics" and make an effort to pre-order using Previews.
    Nah for the first, although I'm reading more comics on the internet which is progress of a sort...

http://studygroupcomics.com/main/
    http://whatthingsdo.com/

Nah for the second too. My loss because in the last couple of months I've missed out on ordering some neat comic-books.

http://www.adhousebooks.com/comics/popehats3.html
    http://comicsbeat.com/preview-ted-mays-injury-4/
    http://thirteenminutes.blogspot.co.u...a-brunton.html
    Boycott Marvel. Make Mine Kirby.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Wonder Woman (v. 1) #288-329. At reasonable prices, of course.
    Done! *Pats self on the back*

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Otherwise I'd like to actually trim down my collection, or at least stop buying so much stuff that I'll never catch up with actually reading it...
    Big, fat, epic fail on this one. I've accumulated about 6 more long boxes worth of back issues over the past year, all from eBay and convention purchases! And yes, the unread piles from 2011 still remain largely unread. I think I may have a problem...

Congrats to all of you who accomplished your goals! I'm jealous.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I don't plan to read any Classics Comis this year, unless preacher counts. I want to finish that, then catch up on some of the more recent stuff I've had my eye on - The Unwritten, Nikolai Dante, Phonogram II, Quai d'Orsay II, Vinyl Underground.
    Managed to do some of this: finished Preacher, read Quai d'Orsay II, all of The Unwritten up to the latest trade, and the first trade of Nikolai Dante; failed to get round to Phonogram II or Vinyl Underground, but still plan to do so in the coming months.

But I will keep trying to hunt down some classics with a view to reading them in a few years once I get everything together - Warren and Marvel b&w's, Tales Calculated to Drive You Mad, the last few Peanuts collections I want (only intend to go up to the early 70s as it tailed off sharply for me after that) ... I might start looking at some stuff from Charleton and a few other publishers apart from Marvel and DC. Also will be looking for European stuff - Druillet, Bilal, Caza, ... I especially want to get a copy of Moebius's and Jodorowsky's L'Incal with the original colours.

Think I might get that new Fantagraphics collection of restored Kirby/Simon romance comics too.
    Didn't get the Kirby/Simon romance book but I did find some of the others I mentioned. Continued to make progress in my search for the Warren and Marvel B&W's I want. Tales Calculated to Drive You Mad #8 remains elusive. Still not sure how far I want to go with Peanuts - no farther than 1974, for sure, but maybe not even that far.

[edit:]Other than Quai d'Orsay the only Euro BD I ended up reading was the Tintin album Le Lotus Bleu, so didn't get as much done on that front as I'd hoped.
    Last edited by berk; 11-24-2012 at 08:00 PM.