Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Actually, for FFVII, I'd say that the most tragic character is arguably Vincent Valentine.
    Or maybe Lucrecia.

Actually, are there any Square Characters not suffering from severe trauma?

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    loyalty to the end.

such a great woman with such a tragic past.

otacon has a bad history as well.

grandfather was a chief scientist for the Manhattan project. his father was born on the day the bomb was dropped on hiroshima. falls in love with his step sister. has a affair with his step mother which results in his father killing himself and nearly drowning his sister. both he and his father had hands in developing metal gear. every woman otacon loved dies in front of him: wolf died fighting snake, emma died from being stabbed by vamp, and naomi died by shutting off her nanomachines that kept her alive.
    Also, Otacon has to bear witness to Snake's last days. His best and only friend in the world is going to pass on long before he does, and Otacon has to bear that anguish and loneliness for the rest of his life.
    Starlancer Flight: Morgan Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Or maybe Lucrecia.

Actually, are there any Square Characters not suffering from severe trauma?

Marche doesn't suffer traumas. He forces other people deal with theirs.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

After watching the recent videos released by Capcom, Asura from Asura's Wrath. His wife was killed by the commander of the other Gods(his leader as well), while his daughter spends the next 10,000 years as a catalyst and battery for the Gods to increase their powers perpetually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1N2a...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckzp2...layer_embedded

It really makes you feel bad for him after seeing how happy he and his family were.

And people wonder why he's so pissed off.

It seems small compared to some of the stories here, but...I was amazed by how much sympathy I felt for the final villain of "Tex Murphy: Overseer".
    spoilers:
    As a young idealist, he tries to make a difference in some UN job (I forget the details, it's been over a decade). A traitor blows them up; he survives, but is confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.
    He watches the world turn to shit with nuclear war, and the rebuilding afterward.
    He still tries to make a difference. This time around, he becomes a respected business tycoon, using his wealth to support worthy causes...then some corrupt executive with neo-nazi political backers takes over his company and sidelines him yet again.
    So, seeing how the world is spiraling into ever-increasing corruption, he decides to stop fucking around. He comes up with this big conspiracy to rule the world behind the scenes, finally doing things right. But the aforementioned pseudo-nazis discover his project, try to take it over, kill a lot of people in the process...
    In the end, the pseudo-nazis are beaten by Tex Murphy...who proceeds to destroy his project. "Checkmate." He and Tex have a drink "to the future", and then, once Tex leaves, he shoots himself.
    end of spoilers

I've never felt so sorry for a video game villain before or after.

I've looked over several lists now for tragic characters and find myself a bit disappointed that none of them have my girl Viola Guines from the Zone of the Enders series. She appears in even the Idolo ova as well as the Dolores,I series, where her character and story are further developed. One could make a valid argument the entire zoe series is about Viola almost. I admit that when I first played zoe 1, she grew a bit irritating, but that's because you knew nothing about her [spoiler] and the fact the only person she loved, Radium, went insane and was killed in front of her. [/spoiler] I also find it quite odd that ever since playing and watching the zoe entries, I keep finding characters named Viola pretty much everywhere now.

To me, Viola defines and personifies the tragic character trope and has since become one of my favorite vg characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    After watching the recent videos released by Capcom, Asura from Asura's Wrath. His wife was killed by the commander of the other Gods(his leader as well), while his daughter spends the next 10,000 years as a catalyst and battery for the Gods to increase their powers perpetually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1N2a...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckzp2...layer_embedded

It really makes you feel bad for him after seeing how happy he and his family were.

And people wonder why he's so pissed off.
    It is even worse as it goes on.

As he befriends this little girl (Who LOOKS like his daughter) dies. And drives him mad, and it took the sacrifice of his brother in law and best friend to have what it took to fight the "Big Bad." who was responsible for *EVERYTHING*

Aka: The GOlden freakken Spider! (His "Buddy" in Hell) aka: God himself.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    Samus Aran. Seeing her surrogate family killed at age 3. The species that adopted her disappears in her late teens. The space dragon who killed her family keeps reappearing, to the point that she suffers PTSD the fifth time he comes back. Also seeing the last Metroid, which considered her as its mother, and she somewhat reciprocated that feeling, getting killed in front of her. Oh, and the general she considered as a surrogate father sacrificing himself to avoid her own sacrifice.
    Though to be fair, Adam was a total dick.
    Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

Quote Originally Posted by ViolaGuines View Post
    I've looked over several lists now for tragic characters and find myself a bit disappointed that none of them have my girl Viola Guines from the Zone of the Enders series.
    I played Zone of the Enders about a year ago, and the main character of the first game, Leo Stenbuck, is another candidate.

The game starts with him being asked to fight impossible odds in a prototype mecha that everybody seems to want, moments after he watched his friends get crushed by an enemy mecha. By the end, just when he's made a pact with the machine, he finds out that the machine's objective was to go on a suicide run, but by that point, there's nothing Leo can say to convince it otherwise.

Though, maybe it's just the fact that the story only continues in 2nd Runner, which I haven't played, that makes the fate of Jehuty and Leo seem so saddening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
    I played Zone of the Enders about a year ago, and the main character of the first game, Leo Stenbuck, is another candidate.

The game starts with him being asked to fight impossible odds in a prototype mecha that everybody seems to want, moments after he watched his friends get crushed by an enemy mecha. By the end, just when he's made a pact with the machine, he finds out that the machine's objective was to go on a suicide run, but by that point, there's nothing Leo can say to convince it otherwise.

Though, maybe it's just the fact that the story only continues in 2nd Runner, which I haven't played, that makes the fate of Jehuty and Leo seem so saddening.
    The final battle in 2nd Runner is sweet.
    Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

X, who suffers in most games of the Mega Man X series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Marche doesn't suffer traumas.
    Actually he does, he is the only person in the game who didn't got the problems he had in the real world solved when he came to Ivalice, because he didn't got his wish granted by living in the fantasy world, resulting in Marche being forced to face/remember the problems he had in the real world as a result of the problems he had in the real world not being solved, because his wish was not granted by living in the fantasy world, while everyone else got the problems they had in the real world solved through getting their wishes granted by living in the fantasy world; this causes Marche to become homicidally jealous and envious of others getting their wishes granted, Marche then in a act of revenge/spite one could describe as "If I'm not going to get my wish granted then no one is going to enjoy having theirs granted" forced everyone to return to the real world through killing lots of innocents, destroying the world and forcing both his friends and his brother to suffer for the rest of their lives.
    Last edited by Vinegar Mk-II; 01-26-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion87 View Post
    Like Kadabra's entry in FireRed:
    "It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into KADABRA"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamask.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	107773

"Once wasss a man!"

Xenogears people. Mothereffin' Xenogears.

First off, let's begin with Lacan. Lacan is the third known reincarnation of a child who made contact with God. God granted this child two things: one was the company and lover he required to no longer be alone, and the other was the chance at receiving ultimate power. This child, known as Abel, would see his love killed in front of him. The second incarnation, Kim, would again be witness to his love's tragic death. Finally we come to Lacan who was also forced to watch helpless as his love died.

In this heartbroken state he happened upon the de facto evil twin of his lover who manipulated his broken spirit into seeking out the aforementioned ultimate power. If he had been all-powerful, he could have saved his love. Only when he finally made contact once more with God, he was in such a damaged state that he couldn't handle it. He couldn't handle the flood of memories of the woman he had loved ceaselessly for 9,000 years dying again and again and again while he couldn't do anything. He subsequently lost his mind and was overwhelmed by the power he had gained.

He only reclaimed his senses long enough to discover that he had committed genocide on a global scale, exterminating 96% of the planet's population. The few survivors were his former friends who promptly had him executed for his crimes. The last thing he knew in life was his former friends killing him.

But he would not allow himself to ease into death. His bitterness lingered on as a spirit known as Grahf. He transcended mortal death for the woman he had loved who's dying wish had only ever been for him to live. Well, he would do as she asked and "live" at any cost.
    Last edited by NuBatFan; 01-26-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Zulf, from Bastion.

An orphan, grew up as a thief until he got caught, turned his life around after that to become a diplomat until he woke up one morning to find that his newly-wedded wife and everyone else he knew (along with most of the planet) had been nuked.

Then later on he finds out the one of the survivors he's been living with had helped build said superweapon that had caused said nuking.

Then even later his attempts at revenge lead to him being nearly killed by the remnants of his own people. Or entirely killed if your character chooses to leave him there.

And finally with the game's ending he can either a)go through it all again via cosmic reboot or b)spend the rest of his life traveling with the guy that had helped murder everyone he ever knew in a post-apocalyptic wasteland in search of other survivors.
    Last edited by Wjowski; 01-27-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Lee Everett from "The Walking Dead" by Telltale Games. Especially the last 'episode' of the game's first 'season'. spoilers:
    Slowly dying from a zombie bite, and hunting down the man who kidnapped Clementine, the little girl he's been taking care of since finding her alone in episode one. He eventually succumbs to the bite after saving Clem from her kidnapper, and you can either choose to have her kill or spare the zombified Lee.
    end of spoilers
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

- C.S. Lewis

Dory St. Johns on Wikicadia