Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Johns and Frank's "Batman: Earth One" Hits in 2012

DC Comics confirms a 2012 release for the highly anticipated "Batman: Earth One" original graphic novel written by Geoff Johns with preview images from series artist Gary Frank.

Full article here.

Gonna google "earth one" as i still dont know everything about DCs Universe despite reading comics for near 2 years now. Also im so gonna buy this book.

My give a damn's busted. KevinTBrown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamie23m View Post
    Gonna google "earth one" as i still dont know everything about DCs Universe despite reading comics for near 2 years now. Also im so gonna buy this book.
    The "Earth One" graphic novels are in their own universes. Completely separate.

Basically, read and enjoy without worrying where it fits.
    The floggings will continue until morale improves. ~ anonymous

Everybody has a right to have an opinion, no matter how wrong they might be.

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives. ~ John Stuart Mill

It's difficult to tell from that one shot of adult Bruce with his mask off, but does anyone know if Gary Frank is basing his Bruce on an actor (like he based his Superman on Reeve), or going for his own style?

Part of me thinks it would be really cool if he looked like Bale or (in better shape) Keaton.

Is it just me or does that Alfred look like a dead ringer for that guy from Roadhouse...... I think his name is Sam Elliot.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    A lot can happen between now and July
    DC would be foolish not to have this come out around the time Dark Knight Rises is in theaters. With Frank pencilling Shazam!, his part of the art is done. Maybe they's coloring and lettering to do, but that doesn't take as long as the pencilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Statham View Post
    Personally, I question the point in putting a great artist like Frank on this when he could've been better used in one of the Relaunch books, IMO.

I also don't see the need to put Johns on this. It just feels like he feels the need to put his stamp on almost everything. I don't think he personally gets Batman, either, but because this is an AU version, it means I don't have to care.
    OGN sells tons overtime. Just look at Batman Noel. Even Batman Noel can't be compared with the Earth One series whom had so much more publicity than Noel. The last time Superman Earth One was released, it was a major hit with bookstores. I'll think the same would happen to Batman Earth One. Superman Earth One is still selling so well that they find no reason to release a softcover because people are still buying the hardcover anyway.

I think one great thing about DC is that they're able to sell GN very well.

I'm loving this badass Alfred.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTBrown View Post
    The "Earth One" graphic novels are in their own universes. Completely separate.

Basically, read and enjoy without worrying where it fits.
    That's so funny you say that because that's what we're being told about the DCnU as a whole!
    A true friend stabs you in the front. ~ Oscar Wilde

Wow! That preview did absolutely nothing to make me more interested.
    http://www.fightlockdown.com/
    Come visit us for mma related news and conversation

Interesting that Batman doesn't have the yellow oval like he did in the preview art from several months back.

BANNED

I kind of like the idea of the Sean Connery Alfred. You have a retired James Bond (basically) who mentors Batman. I'm hoping since this is supposed to be like Marvel's Ultimate in terms of modernization, they make this a really tech-y action book, kind of like Batman Inc but with Batman solo.
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 01-05-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorriss View Post
    Wow! That preview did absolutely nothing to make me more interested.
    We need 'Like' buttons on these boards!
    A true friend stabs you in the front. ~ Oscar Wilde

Preview has me interested, I am digging this Alfred. I wonder if he will play a larger role in training Bruce, thats the feeling I get from his more youthful bad-assed appearance. Looks like he's filled with lament too.

Cant wait.

Because I am one dimensional I will also add that I hope hard for this series to be successful so that we may get a Earth One Dick Grayson someday.

Conceptual Condiment King MentalPace's Avatar

I have to say, this version of Alfred looks exactly how he should look, given his background. I don't know why I never pictured him like that. It makes sense that an ex-Royal Marine would look considerably different from your typical butler.
    Batman: What are you doing here Deadman?
    Deadman: We've only met when I was an invisible ghost talking through other people. How did you know it was me?
    Batman: I'm Batman.
    Deadman: Touché.