Page 59 of 668 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159559 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 885 of 10006
  1. #871
    Willy Wonka Swagger! FLEX HECTIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,521

    Default

    Minority characters don't sell?

    I disagree considering the Obama, Oprah, Jordan and Denzel carrying The Book of Eli in his memory banks factor.

    Black Panther like any other character needs an architect not from the musical chair regulars of Marvel and DC.

    The effort has to match the ingenuity.

    He has no logo and no off the panel identity within the household name conscience. He was close to that under Hudlin before the missteps with Shuri.

    If Shuri was not in the picture The Black Panther after marrying Storm could have steamrolled to success.

    Sure BET fumbled the ball too but that is because the black community has not had someone burn super hero ideology in our brains like hip hop has.

    The entire franchise needs to be on the same page and as I said there needs to be a point man that crosses borders and reps for Black Panther when they edit him out of movies, comics, games and local comic book shop advertising.

    At one point Black Panther was in the 50,000 to 60,000 sales range. You don't complain about Marvel editorial hamstringing you... You get off your @$$ and go out and hustle those other potential fans because your dang job depends on it!

    Obama kisses babies... Oprah hugs desperate white house wives... Jordan dunked on cats and sold some shoes... Denzel made the ladies all get moist... Get out to the Comic-cons and the black expos and shake sone dang hands in your black panther t-shirt!
    Kanye West: "Marvel Comics does not like Black Panther!"

    I am a T.R.O.L.L.... Totally Ruling On Line Linguistics!

    You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you don't you!

  2. #872
    Yes she is bad akumasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PantherX View Post
    Let's face it before T'calla left Wakanda, he wasn't doing anything there that was so great, on top of that I really don't think you guys get it. I think this was it for T'challa for awhile Period! His book has been relaunched three times!!! You think when AVX is over things are going to be sweet and we'll get another writer to moan and groan about on another BP Ongoing? Not going to happen.
    I don't believe it's Shuri's fault and killling her won't solve anything. Her run on BP was and DoomWar for that matter was a great Read! The Problem as I said before is that Minority chracters just don't sell. If Maberry had been taking Barbara Gordon through all the ish that Shuri went through, people would be praising the book!
    Not this again. Maybe just maybe if writers stop trying to force fed or assume that "all minorities act a certain way" then maybe we would get to something here. It bothers me that many people still have this asinine concept. As for your point of Barb they did and fans hated it.

  3. #873
    Willy Wonka Swagger! FLEX HECTIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,521

    Default

    Plus Barbara is protected by the billion dollar Batman umbrella.


    Shuri is protected by a leaking umbrella..


    The complaints of Black Panther fans is not heard or felt because no architect has put in the work to seek new fans from the hood to the continent of Africa.


    You can't just write and sit behind a desk and hope brothas in the barbershop are going to find your comic book on the way to the Jay Z/Kanye West concert.


    If Marvel won't help you help yourself.


    How hard is it to gather emails and do a free email blast to potential customers you met at strategic locations.


    John Doe: "Hi, I'm John Doe writer of The Black Panther. I got a couple of hats and coffee mugs to give you could you give your email address so I can keep you up to date on his many adventures!
    Kanye West: "Marvel Comics does not like Black Panther!"

    I am a T.R.O.L.L.... Totally Ruling On Line Linguistics!

    You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you don't you!

  4. #874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PantherX View Post
    The Problem as I said before is that Minority chracters just don't sell. If Maberry had been taking Barbara Gordon through all the ish that Shuri went through, people would be praising the book!
    Pretty much. Sad but true.

    People bring up Obama, Oprah, Denzel, Will Smith but those are anomalies. And outside of them you have what... Eddie Murphy? lolz

    T'challa is behind the 8 ball to start just because he is a minority. then you have stuff like marrying him to Storm which a late of people hate, including everyone that writes the X-men comics. Then you get horrible concepts and weird decisions from the big bosses and you have cancelled books.

    It would take a lot of effort to get and keep a t'challa ongoing and, from Marvel's point of view, it is just probably easier to throw Wolverine, Spider-Man, Cap, ect in every book instead of pour a bunch of energy and money into the Black Panther for barely passable sales.

  5. #875
    TROLL KILLA Mr MajestiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'd say that's the intent, but execution...

    Scene 1 "I'd rather die than reveal my secret ID.

    Scene 2 "ID revealed!"
    I was one of the most vocal critics of David liss's take on T'Challa via the pages of Black Panther:Man Without Fear and still stand by many of the criticisms I voiced back then but there's no denying the fact that Mr Liss's take on T'Challa in Black Panther:Most dangerous Man Alive was a totally different beast entirely.

    The former monarch stumbling almost aimlessly in the aftermath of Doomwar gradually gave way to a reborn Warrior master strategist focused on once again being the inscrutable chess master supreme that we've always known T'Challa to be.

    Ironic that Marvel should choose to pull the plug on the book just as a reborn T'Challa finally finds his stride and gets back to defending Wakanda.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

    Professional TROLL killer

    Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

  6. #876
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,974

    Default

    Well maybe its a good thing BP didn't join the Avengers under Bendis's pen. I heard Storm was written terribly, no speaking parts and spent the entirety of this issue on her back drooling. I am so glad I dropped that book.


    Additionally make sure you guys check out Red Tails this weekend. Its a big budget movie that was hard t fund George Lucas had to drop like 20 million of his own money and go to 6 different studios to get the film green lit.

    So if we ever hope to see high budget film starring a nonwhite lead not named Will Smith we should probably support this movie. If Red Tails does well this weekend maybe Marvel executives will take a chance on a BP, Storm or Luke Cage movie.

  7. #877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post


    Additionally make sure you guys check out Red Tails this weekend. Its a big budget movie that was hard t fund George Lucas had to drop like 20 million of his own money and go to 6 different studios to get the film green lit.

    So if we ever hope to see high budget film starring a nonwhite lead not named Will Smith we should probably support this movie. If Red Tails does well this weekend maybe Marvel executives will take a chance on a BP, Storm or Luke Cage movie.
    I refuse to support movies just because it has black people in it.

    The movie looks terrible tbh.

  8. #878
    TROLL KILLA Mr MajestiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbcb314 View Post
    I refuse to support movies just because it has black people in it.

    The movie looks terrible tbh.
    Define terrible.

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Tee-Hee

    Classic.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 01-18-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

    Professional TROLL killer

    Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

  9. #879
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    13,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbcb314 View Post
    I refuse to support movies just because it has black people in it.

    The movie looks terrible tbh.
    Ok, then support it because it's the only mainstream movie we are ever going to see about the legendary Tuskegee Air Pilots.

    And for what they did in WW2, I think they deserve some props.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."


    - Stanisław Jerzy Lec

    http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

  10. #880
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Wakanda
    Posts
    17,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PantherX View Post
    Let's face it before T'calla left Wakanda, he wasn't doing anything there that was so great, on top of that I really don't think you guys get it. I think this was it for T'challa for awhile Period! His book has been relaunched three times!!! You think when AVX is over things are going to be sweet and we'll get another writer to moan and groan about on another BP Ongoing? Not going to happen.
    I don't believe it's Shuri's fault and killling her won't solve anything. Her run on BP was and DoomWar for that matter was a great Read! The Problem as I said before is that Minority chracters just don't sell. If Maberry had been taking Barbara Gordon through all the ish that Shuri went through, people would be praising the book!
    It was ok. Not great and extremely poor timing...to make her Black Panther...coming off of Jason Aaron's "See Wakanda and Die"...it was beyond STUPID to make her the Panther, coming off of that. Marvel killed ALL momentum the title had coming off of that...and that arc made NYT Best Sellers only to have T'challa replaced when new folks came to check him out.

    THAT'S STUPID. Has nothing to do with minority characters not selling. It has more to do with the continued stupid decisions, portrayals, showings, de-powerings, watering down crap that they continue to do...it has to do with the fact that they NEVER make the character or title important to the meta plot. The fact that he can ALMOST NEVER be on a team and have a solo...NEVER MIND the fact that the book SOLD VERY WELL when he was leading the Fantastic Four and was also in the F4 book.

    That's Marvel for ya. Don't make excuses for this sort of crap.

  11. #881
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Wakanda
    Posts
    17,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Define terrible.



    Classic.


    Crazy how Batwing is joining the JLI...T'challa...still has business to take care of...or some other lame excuse. smh.

  12. #882
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbcb314 View Post
    I refuse to support movies just because it has black people in it.

    The movie looks terrible tbh.
    Okay lets not take what I'm saying totally out of context.

    Thats not really why you should support it. Its a good story about the Tuskeegee Airmen, which essentially helped to integrate minorities and women into the armed forces.

    It looks good to me I'd say give it a chance.


    Moreover, its a war story that happens to star balck actors. I find its ridiculous all the hoops people had to go through to get this movie passed.

    Honestly, if the movie does well I think it opens the door for hollywood to take chances on a lot of other movies. Instead of the same old movies they keep pushing. I mean John Conner give me a freaking break.

  13. #883
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Wakanda
    Posts
    17,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Okay lets not take what I'm saying totally out of context.

    Thats not really why you should support it. Its a good story about the Tuskeegee Airmen, which essentially helped to integrate minorities and women into the armed forces.

    It looks good to me I'd say give it a chance.


    Moreover, its a war story that happens to star balck actors. I find its ridiculous all the hoops people had to go through to get this movie passed.

    Honestly, if the movie does well I think it opens the door for hollywood to take chances on a lot of other movies. Instead of the same old movies they keep pushing. I mean John Conner give me a freaking break.
    Yeah...John Connner or Carter...I just shook my fraking head. Really? the same old crap...Avatar on Mars. Gtfoh...I will support Red Tails to the fullest. Peace to G. Lucas for fighting and getting it done.

    Frak all the hating excuse makers.

  14. #884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Okay lets not take what I'm saying totally out of context.

    Thats not really why you should support it. Its a good story about the Tuskeegee Airmen, which essentially helped to integrate minorities and women into the armed forces.

    It looks good to me I'd say give it a chance.


    Moreover, its a war story that happens to star balck actors. I find its ridiculous all the hoops people had to go through to get this movie passed.

    Honestly, if the movie does well I think it opens the door for hollywood to take chances on a lot of other movies. Instead of the same old movies they keep pushing. I mean John Conner give me a freaking break.

    There are too many movies coming out this year that will take lots of my money to take a chance on a film done by Lucus, no matter how much of a fight he had to put up to get it on screen. The dialogue in the TV spots looks corny and cliche and this movie looks no different than the old movie on the Airmen that I have seen 100 times. It looks like that same movie but with updated special effects (that doesn't look the greatest imo). It looks just as formulaic as 99% of all holywood movies.

    John Carter based on a book I do believe...
    Last edited by dbcb314; 01-18-2012 at 07:56 PM.

  15. #885
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Wakanda
    Posts
    17,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbcb314 View Post
    It's based on a book I do believe...
    I know it's based on a book. But come on...it's the same old story. The same one..same troupe. It's lame.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •