Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Heavy Weapon: My 80's action movie graphic novel

A 15-page preview can be seen here: http://www.heavy-weapon.com/

---------------------------------------------------------

If you'd like to preorder, just hang on a bit longer...I will be accepting preorders via Paypal soon.

---------------------------------------------------------

ABOUT THE BOOK:

I've been keeping details low outside of the artist and a short preview so as not to spoil anything, but I do have plans to fill out the book as much as possible. I'm trying to get some extra concept art from various artists, and such.

Here are my goals:

- Professional quality hardcover / softcover editions
    - Full color cover / dust jacket in high gloss laminate on the HC versions
    - Gloss enamel paper pages, if possible
    - The book will be B&W (I wanted a full color rendition done, but that's really expensive).
    - Art gallery and concept pages, possibly a 'behind the scenes documentary' of the comic/story process.
    - Page format will be 8x10 for the hardcover/LE, and the mass run will be 8.5x11 probably.
    - Estimating about 200 pages, possibly more depending on what I can cram in there. The story itself is 153 pages.
    - Bonus Extras will be included with the Munition Edition, which will be limited to no more than 250 copies.

The reason I decided against full color is because each book will end up costing more than triple the price of B&W each to print (due to full color printing costs). If future/other prints happen, it'll likely be perfect-bound softcover only. I might have additional different covers for the first two runs, but alternate covers are more expensive and I hate passing my costs off onto buyers, so we'll see.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a sample of one of the nearly finished pages:

...and for comparison, this is the untouched "inked" page:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a prototype of the Munition Edition (subject to change, and probably will for the better):

- Ammo Box Packaging
    - Character Trading Cards
    - Challenge Coins
    - Dog Tags
    - USB Bullet w/ Digital Copy of Heavy Weapon
    - Survival Knife & Chinese Dagge Bookmarks
    - Hardcover Book

Items that may also be included, but not pictured:
    - Poster
    - Mini Book containing "Making of...", and more.
    Last edited by heavyweapon; 06-20-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Here are the first 3 pages for anyone too lazy to check out the site:

Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

i dig it. wish i had money to spare. i'm on team Da Sacco
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

Thanks. Yeah, I think the hardest part is getting the word out.

I'm pretty *realistically* confident about the whole thing, both artists...it's just hard to get people to hear about it when you're broke. Worst case, since Michela is almost finished anyways, I may just have to go with one artist and self-fund the completion - if it comes down to that. Not sure where I'm gonnaget the money though :p

It has been a while since my first posting about this and the book is nearing completion...FINALLY!!

Here's a sample of one of the nearly finished pages. It differs a bit from the sampler on my website obviously because it has been grayscale shaded:

...and for comparison, this is the untouched "inked" page:

looks sharp, really digging the preview and gonna have to get this when you release it. As far as the kick-starter and promoting the book, I am putting together a little collective of indy publishers to promote each others stuff online. if interested email me at contendercomics@hotmail.ca good luck with the book. And the black and white, though partly a money issue, looks pretty good.

I added a link to your site on our contenders page at http://contendercomics.wordpress.com...cs-we-support/

Honestly I am very excited to read this when finished and I will try to pledge at least 25$ to get a copy.
    Last edited by contendercomics; 05-02-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Hijo Del Mr Backlund lboinyamouf4sho's Avatar
    lookin right into the eye of the videoscope

best of luck with this, it really does look cool.
    Mr. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch, yet highly dangerous, maniac out to teach the new generation a lesson.[3] He often appeared in business suits, had a hyperactive personality, and used (or, often, misused) large words to sound important. He also demanded that he be addressed as "Mr. Backlund". He would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the US Presidents in chronological order

Quote Originally Posted by contendercomics View Post
    looks sharp, really digging the preview and gonna have to get this when you release it. As far as the kick-starter and promoting the book, I am putting together a little collective of indy publishers to promote each others stuff online. if interested email me at contendercomics@hotmail.ca good luck with the book. And the black and white, though partly a money issue, looks pretty good.

I added a link to your site on our contenders page at http://contendercomics.wordpress.com...cs-we-support/

Honestly I am very excited to read this when finished and I will try to pledge at least 25$ to get a copy.

Awesome, I really appreciate that.

I know a lot of people say it, but I'm really not in it for the money at all. I've just had this story bonking around in my mind for years and really wanted to get it out there; success or not...and I'm more of an oldschool fan of printed media so I'd much rather see it in print than digital, but I'm also aware that digital distribution is very much widespread now and I'll embrace it, but yeah...I really prefer to see it printed even if nobody buys it.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyweapon View Post
    Awesome, I really appreciate that.

I know a lot of people say it, but I'm really not in it for the money at all. I've just had this story bonking around in my mind for years and really wanted to get it out there; success or not...and I'm more of an oldschool fan of printed media so I'd much rather see it in print than digital, but I'm also aware that digital distribution is very much widespread now and I'll embrace it, but yeah...I really prefer to see it printed even if nobody buys it.
    I don't think many of us are "in it for the money" or we would take our talents elsewhere. To mis-quote a wise man, "comics is my get rich slooowww scheme... and it's working"

What I meant by promote each other's stuff online was that we would direct our followers and fans to your site and your kick-starter and vice-versa. Everybody should have the goal of putting things out in print in my mind as well. Maybe not everyone agrees, and that's cool, but I'm with you on that one.

Yeah, I wasn't implying you said anything...I was just rambling. :p

I just updated the preview to 15 pages so you can see the main character kicking a little ass, and included some updated grayscale art on the first few pages.

keep adding to the preview...lol

I might actually consider it, to be honest. I'm not sure how far I'm willing to go to avoid spoiling major plot points though.

Here's a prototype of the final product for the Munition Edition (subject to change, and probably will for the better):

- Ammo Box Packaging
    - Character Trading Cards
    - Challenge Coins
    - Dog Tags
    - USB Bullet w/ Digital Copy of Heavy Weapon
    - Survival Knife & Chinese Dagger Bookmarks
    - Hardcover Book

Items that may also be included, but not pictured:
    - Poster
    - Mini Book containing "Making of...", and more.
    Last edited by heavyweapon; 05-09-2012 at 07:22 PM.