Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hajime no Ippo

the demon king rules master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Woli was a joke and a parody of boxning. One of the few times i lost respect for Morikawa and thought Ippo should have lost or owned Woli.

Im few chapters behind Itagaki fights, this championship class A or whatever.

Since Ippo last fights has sucked im excited to catch to other characters fights :)
    how was he a joke and a parody of boxing?
    COCAINE IS MY GOD AND I AM THE LIVING INSTRUMENT OF ITS WILL!!
    snowflame, new guardians #2
    wanna make some quick cash?

Swedish Shinigami Dark Soul # 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Chapter's out:

Heh, about what I expected (though I was wrong about how). Itakagi's biggest weakness. His stats and skills are insane, but he's too naive. The kid lacks experience.

Now I am really wondering how this is going to end up. He can't fall back on stats here.
    Another of his weaknesses is how stubborn and inflexible he is.

This time he won't go for an in-fight because he wants to win the speed thing while at other times he's gone for the in-fight almost to show off. He even ignores the advice of his coach who would normally make up for his lack of experience.

Also, does anybody remember how Ippo beat Saeki? I don't remember the guy being this fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post

This time he won't go for an in-fight because he wants to win the speed thing while at other times he's gone for the in-fight almost to show off. He even ignores the advice of his coach who would normally make up for his lack of experience.

Also, does anybody remember how Ippo beat Saeki? I don't remember the guy being this fast.
    chess and checkers.

Everyone is stubborn to the extreme in the manga, so I didn't think it necessary to list it.

As for Ippo vs Saeki, Ippo said he landed a lucky hit. I don't remember exactly how it went. That would do it though. Ippo hits like a truck, and the ring is not all that big. One hit would massively slow down his enemy, especially if he is not a tank type.

Saeki ran circles around Ippo easily, made his eye swell with repeated punches, then started attacking from the blind side. Ippo figured out Saeki's rhythm and punched where he presumed Saeki would be next.

When Ippo talked about "knowing the opponent is there even if you can't see him", at the end of Takamura's fight with Eagle, he was probably referring to his own fight with Saeki.
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtheboring, at LJ, on the subject of LotR fanfiction
    At this point, if they hooked up a generator to Prof. Tolkien's grave, the spinning would power half of Europe.

It's like hydroelectric power, only evil. ;)
    http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm393671.html

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    how was he a joke and a parody of boxing?
    I just thought he took the fantasy abilities level to silly degree. The way he moved, jumped around. Close Naruto,Dragonball fantasy fight than over the top boxing.

It was like Miyata's speed of light punch. Why i like Ippo and other boxers in the manga that lack genius talent that means they move so fast they cant be seen and other over the top abilities.

HNI has always been like this but since Ippo last few fights has been not as good as before you notice more.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

I just thought he took the fantasy abilities level to silly degree. The way he moved, jumped around. Close Naruto,Dragonball fantasy fight than over the top boxing.

It was like Miyata's speed of light punch. Why i like Ippo and other boxers in the manga that lack genius talent that means they move so fast they cant be seen and other over the top abilities.

HNI has always been like this but since Ippo last few fights has been not as good as before you notice more.
    its kinda too late to demand more realistic boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    its kinda too late to demand more realistic boxing.
    No it isnt when it gets in the way of enjoying the story.

Miyata, Itagaki fights are always genius who speedsters fantasy fights but Ippo fights use to be often simple down to earth infighting. Go in under the other boxer and knock him out.

Sure its over the top fiction take on boxning but sometimes he overdo it even more than possible.
    Pull List:

Miyata, Itagaki fights are always genius who speedsters fantasy fights but Ippo fights use to be often simple down to earth infighting. Go in under the other boxer and knock him out.

Sure its over the top fiction take on boxning but sometimes he overdo it even more than possible.
    that reminds me of how frustrating it was to read about Ogami Itto fighting off a half-dozen enemies while he was stone-cold asleep. I thought, "sure, the series has been ridiculous up to this point-- but COME ON! you're trying to tell me that Itto is so awesome people can't kill him when he's asleep?!?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    that reminds me of how frustrating it was to read about Ogami Itto fighting off a half-dozen enemies while he was stone-cold asleep. I thought, "sure, the series has been ridiculous up to this point-- but COME ON! you're trying to tell me that Itto is so awesome people can't kill him when he's asleep?!?!?"
    Hah you are talking about the manga or the tv show ? I didnt remember that classic manga was like that. It was brilliant overall though.

I feel the same about HNI, it was great for 800 or so issues before it got bit tame.
    Pull List:

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    Well, Retsudo was his equal. That's despite the fact that he was really old and had one eye because Itto stabbed the other one with an arrow.
    Starlancer Flight: Morgan Valentine

so how is it different for woli? he's not a speedster or anything. he's just very talented. nothing about that fight seemed out of the ordinary, outside of ippo winning.

Expectations for a realistic take on boxing for HnI should have gone away by the time Ippo totalled a vending machine with a casual jab.
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtheboring, at LJ, on the subject of LotR fanfiction
    At this point, if they hooked up a generator to Prof. Tolkien's grave, the spinning would power half of Europe.

It's like hydroelectric power, only evil. ;)
    http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm393671.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vaiyt View Post
    Expectations for a realistic take on boxing for HnI should have gone away by the time Ippo totalled a vending machine with a casual jab.
    Thats true but i wasnt talking about realistic take in general but Woli was worse example of Miyata and co.

Even in over the top boxing fiction, writing about "monkey boy" flying around in the ring there is limits.

Its like Batman knocking out Superman with one punch. Superhero isnt realistic but there are limits on what characters can do.

Its a non-issue really in HNI if the last volumes before Woli fight had been better written i would not have cared how he was.
    Pull List:

Honestly the entire 'challenge other champions arc' was kind of weak as a whole. The manga has regained its footing since then but those fights lacked something.