Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Portman Reportedly Upset over Jenkins' "Thor 2" Dismissal

"Thor" star Natalie Portman is reportedly upset with Marvel Studios over the dismissal of Patty Jenkins as director of the blockbuster movie's 2013 sequel.

Full article here.

I'm surprised Natalie even had influence in the creative process since her role in Thor was pretty forgettable. That said, Marvel Studios with its heavy-handed approach with creators and tight-wad reputation, has made good decisions with their films. Their curious directing choices in Favreau and Branagh have worked out. Their films have turned out pretty good, and they are clearly better handled than the Marvel films produced by the other studios with the exceptions of X-Men and Spider-Man. The shared universe of the films is a fun concept. Their trailers generate more excitement than DC's.

I hated that they replaced Norton and Terrence Howard due to money/creative differences. Iron Man 2 was not as good as the first due to the excessive amount of tie-ins to S.H.I.E.L.D. and wasted role of Mickey Rourke as Whiplash. It might be interesting to see Norton's more character oriented take on Incredible Hulk.

BANNED

Furniture doesn't get to complain about the room it's put in. She'll still perform in the movie as per her contract so this amounts to nothing of note.

I think it'd be pretty interesting if the studios ever gave a director final-cut privilege with a Marvel movie.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    I think it'd be pretty interesting if the studios ever gave a director final-cut privilege with a Marvel movie.
    Yeah, hell freezing over would be pretty interesting.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

BANNED

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Superbeast View Post
    Furniture doesn't get to complain about the room it's put in. She'll still perform in the movie as per her contract so this amounts to nothing of note.
    Nominated for post of the year award.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    Nominated for post of the year award.
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by phogoodness View Post
    Iron Man 2 was not as good as the first due to the excessive amount of tie-ins to S.H.I.E.L.D.
    yeah that 5 minutes of the movie sure was excessive.

BANNED

I thought Natalie Portman did great in the movie she brought out a humanity to Thor and it was nice to see a female in a comic movie that was more than just a love interest and then a damsel in distress.

Quote Originally Posted by pariah-1972 View Post
    I thought Natalie Portman did great in the movie she brought out a humanity to Thor and it was nice to see a female in a comic movie that was more than just a love interest and then a damsel in distress.
    She loses points for that.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

BANNED

As long as she does this in Thor 2 I will be happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYREs6PdWMg

Maybe this'll mean more Sif? Or maybe yet another recast ala Rhodey and Bruce Banner.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Maybe this'll mean more Sif?
    Hope so. Find her more interesting than Portman's character IMO

I have to wonder why it is that Marvel Studios struggles to maintain healthy relationships with their talent. Favreau, Jenkins, Branagh (or did he leave of his own accord?) and on the actor's side, Norton and Howard. They even low-balled both Rourke and L. Jackson, if memory serves correctly. I can't imagine this is a company doing too badly for itself, money-wise, so you'd think they'd open the purse strings to avoid such jarring recasting of characters and show how thankful they are to their directors.
    --*--
    Bring Back MI:13

We need more Black Knight and Faiza Hussain!

Been wondering that myself. What could be going on behind the scenes that could cause alot of people to want to leave?