Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: IDW Moves from iVerse to comiXology, Goes Same Day Digital

IDW Publishing announces the expansion of its partnership with comiXology and same-day digital across their entire library of titles.

Full article here.

Interesting that they don't mention Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles once in that press release, nor are any issues available in the app. I believe the day-and-date policy starts today, so they might just not have any issues up yet (the last issue came out last week), but they also might need to renegotiate some of the rights with Viacom, since they're just licensing the property. Either way excellent news all around, the only big companies I read from are Marvel, DC and IDW and by the beginning of April they'll all be day-and-date digital... WOO HOO!

I really hope they bring TMNT to the digital side.

ComiXology really has become the iTunes of comics, hasn't it? I think they've got everybody but Dark Horse right now. I think iVerse is still powering the Archie app, but ComiXology also carries Archie comics.

I can't help but wish things had stayed more competitive. Yes, I think ComiXology has a better store than iVerse or any of the others. But I wish DC hadn't gone exclusive with ComiXology and made it the "annointed one". Hopefully ComiXology will continue to prove to be a basket worthy of putting all your eggs in.

Somebody should really do an article on how things are going with iVerse. More than just a puff piece with the PR person.
    -Goodman

Comics reader since 1974. Now purchasing 100% of my comics digitally.

Another publisher too scared to do the right thing and price their digital books correctly. Sorry retailers who don't think your product is good enough to sustain your customer level, but digital comics aren't worth print cover prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyFakeMcCoy View Post
    Another publisher too scared to do the right thing and price their digital books correctly. Sorry retailers who don't think your product is good enough to sustain your customer level, but digital comics aren't worth print cover prices.
    Another publisher smart enough not to undermine the shops that are their bread and butter. Trading paper dollars for digital pennies is not a move that would serve the industry.
    -Goodman

There have been numerous discussions on these boards about this topic. First and foremost, if digital comics were priced lower than their physical counterpart, especially the day they're released, physical retailers would stop ordering books from those companies. Look at all the outrage that just occurred over Dark Horse's recent announcement when the press release didn't make their pricing strategy clear. Second, there are numerous other costs associated with digital copies. If they're bought on an iDevice, Apple takes 30% of the sale price. After Apple gets their cut, Comixology takes a cut from the publisher. On top of that, digital comics feature no advertisements, so the publisher is losing that revenue. People can argue over the price until the cows come home, it's not going to change any time soon (look at digital books, magazines and newspapers).

What I think the bigger issue is, is discounting. DC is doing an excellent job of this by lowering the price of books by $1 four weeks after release. This is an EXCELLENT way to entice people who don't want to pay the full cover price for a digital copy and also a great incentive to try more titles, the lower the cost, the lower the risk the consumer feels. Marvel's reasoning for not doing this made absolutely no sense and I hope that they come to their senses before long. There are multiple Marvel titles I'd start reading if I could wait a month and get them at a discount, but I don't want to pay a full $3 or $4 for. What I am willing to pay $3 or $4 for are the comics I absolutely love and want to read the second they're available. Hell, I'd probably actually pay a premium on these because they save me the inconvenience of finding time to go to the comic book store and I can download them first thing in the morning and read them on my way to work.

The real missing piece in ALL of this is a subscription service. A subscription model would quell people like you who feel like they're overcharging by offering a discount if you pay up front. I'd gladly subscribe to all of my favorite titles for a discount, and then the publisher has that money in advance. It's guaranteed sales! This would also help companies keep low selling books afloat, they can tell people a risky book will continue to be published if X amount of people get a yearly subscription, so they can guarantee their risk costs are covered. I think it'll probably be another year or two before subscriptions start rolling out, but I definitely think they're the last big missing piece of the puzzle now that pretty much everyone is or is planning to be day-and-date.

1. Retailers who don't order books because the digital version is cheaper are simply cutting their nose to spite their face. By "sticking it" to the publisher in this way, they're either driving their customers to the digital product the digital product they're trying to fight, or worse send their customers to another store, where they're likely to pick up all their books, not just the one you chose not to carry, possibly even moving their business to that store permanently.

2. The fight between retailer vs. digital isn't going to be won with price. It's going to be won with customer service. You're fighting for customers already willing to spend $3-$4 for a comic. If they like the digital format better you've already lost them. Priced the same or not. Making comics buying harder for your customers (i.e. forcing them to pre-order books because you refuse to stock them), is a surefire way to drive them away.

3. Every publisher states the goal for digital is to bring in new customers, not convert existing readers. New readers won't pay $3-$4 for a digital comic because digital comics aren't WORTH $3-$4. Again, it's only attractive to existing readers who are already OK with that price.

4. No one told them not to put the ads in the digital books. That's their own fault.

5. As far as these costs associated with digital books, and the previous poster's line about "trading paper dollars for digital pennies" I refer you to these tweets posted just this morning by Atomic Robo artist Scott Wegener (@Scott_Wegna):

"Full retail price on same-day digital comics is an abomination. Don't buy them kids. Unless you enjoy being taken advantage of I guess."

"The additional cost of making a digital version of a print comic is approximately $0.00 dollars. No printing, no distribution to pay for."

"Per unit, a $0.99 digital copy of Atomic Robo makes us a little more money than a print copy & seems to have zero impact on print sale #'s."

"Raising the price of a digital comic a bit is understandable -the margins are terrible and i would love to live above the poverty line again"

"But full retail price? That's just a big "Fuck You" to the people who chose digital over print."

"There is a reason most songs on iTunes are a buck. True, some sell for more. BUt not many, and rarely at 300% -400% the average cost."

"The additional cost of making a digital version of a print comic is approximately $0.00 dollars. No printing, no distribution to pay for."
    That's only true if you're doing it yourself. DC and others have chosen to go through Comixology and Apple and Android IOS. Those middlemen cost money.

"There is a reason most songs on iTunes are a buck. True, some sell for more. BUt not many, and rarely at 300% -400% the average cost."
    But considering that albums containing 12 to 16 songs sold around $15 means that each song was worth about $1 a piece. So that's another fallacy

Atomic Robo IS sold through Comixology. Atomic Robo and Red5 Comics were among the first to join Comixology and other digital distributors. I'll take Scott's word over "CagedLeo730".

Speaking of Atomic Robo, you should read it. It's a good book. And cheap.

5. As far as these costs associated with digital books, and the previous poster's line about "trading paper dollars for digital pennies" I refer you to these tweets posted just this morning by Atomic Robo artist Scott Wegener (@Scott_Wegna):

"Full retail price on same-day digital comics is an abomination. Don't buy them kids. Unless you enjoy being taken advantage of I guess."

"Per unit, a $0.99 digital copy of Atomic Robo makes us a little more money than a print copy & seems to have zero impact on print sale #'s."

"Raising the price of a digital comic a bit is understandable -the margins are terrible and i would love to live above the poverty line again"

"But full retail price? That's just a big "Fuck You" to the people who chose digital over print."

I don't think the bigger publishers are generally interested in following the business models of hobbyists and those who profess to live under the poverty line. In any event, the shops aren't hurt by Atomic Robo selling for 99 cents. If Marvel or DC sold their comics for 99 cents online, the shops would curl up and die. They'd lose enough customers to kill the direct market, and the 75% of today's readers who aren't interested in switching to digital would have to content themselves reading their back issues. Would 99 cent digital comics be profitable without the income of the direct market? Not for companies with actual editors and staff and lawyers.

It's sad that the artist on Atomic Robo doesn't value his own work. I've long said that nobody started buying comics because they loved the smell of paper. They got into it for the content. That's what digital comics offer (without the hassles of cardboard longboxes).
    -Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post
    Interesting that they don't mention Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles once in that press release, nor are any issues available in the app. I believe the day-and-date policy starts today, so they might just not have any issues up yet (the last issue came out last week), but they also might need to renegotiate some of the rights with Viacom, since they're just licensing the property. Either way excellent news all around, the only big companies I read from are Marvel, DC and IDW and by the beginning of April they'll all be day-and-date digital... WOO HOO!
    there is a thread on this on the IDW board. they said they don't have the rights to distribute it digitally yet, but they are working on it.

I think this is a smart move. Comixology has the best and most user-friendly app. The iVerse and Graphic.ly apps pale in comparison.

I'm sure Scott values his work fine. Nor does being an indy comics creator make you a "hobbyist." That too few people look for quality books beyond Marvel and DC that Robo and the rest of the Red5 line (and those of many other publishers) don't sell enough is the truly sad part.

But the simple truth is printed comics cost $4 because of the cost of paper and ink. take that out and in any other industry but this to charge $4 for the paperless product would be considered egregious price gouging.

and when someone says "Per unit, a $0.99 digital copy...makes us a little more money than a print copy" that means it earns more money than per unit than the print version. that doesn't have anything to do with whether that money is used to pay editors or not. that means 100 digital comics sold at $1 earns more than 100 print comics sold at $3.

$1.99 I think is a fair price for a digital comic. If the direct market can't sustain itself next to digital comics priced at their worth, that means something is wrong with the direct market and it is being artificially sustained through the intentional sabotage of a superior product. That is not a lasting solution. If digital is better it will eventually win regardless.

In addition to all that, as a CONSUMER, to pay $3-$4 for a digital file you don't even get to own and keep is absolutely ludicrous. At least with MP3s you have a file you can back up and keep. that song is yours. You can spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars at Comixology and end up with nothing if they close their doors. That's worth $4?

The direct market will only survive if it is an experience and has product that deserves the higher price. Customer service. The "LCS experience". Publishers putting extras in print versions.

Instead of this we get guys like Marvel charging $3.99 for 20 page comics. With trends like that the comic industry is doomed anyway.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

What I really want to see is next month: over the last few months the IDW books I've bought on ComiXology have been released at full retail and then dropped to $1.99 a month or so later.

If they're changing to full retail price all the time then that's a big kick in the teeth to all the digital readers. (However the use of the word "new" in the press release does give them an out that lets them keep discounting books after a month.)
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.