Thread: DC's King Kull?

Default DC's King Kull?

What is the story about a King Kull character who appeared in DC Comics Presents 34? The name certainly seems to infringe on the Robert E. Howard character. Was he an old Fawcett Capt. Marvel villain?

http://www.comics.org/issue/35369/cover/4/
    Rehab is for Quitters

He debuted in 1951.

Odd that they would have homaged Kull, if indeed they did. They often credited Frank Frazetta's covers to the 1960's reprints for the Howard revival. In the 1940's and 1950's, some reprints appeared. However, near as I can tell, no Howard property had a radio show or serial.

That said, Howard homages in comic book had started here and there in the 1950's.

http://junglefrolics.blogspot.com/20...sta-negra.html

Gardner Fox homaged Howard in an anthology tale.
    Last edited by Enda8011; 12-09-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks for the link. I didn't know any of that.
    Rehab is for Quitters

Otto Binder was an old pulp writer himself, so it's not surprising that he would be familiar with Howard's work, even the relatively obscure King Kull. I imagine he "borrowed" the name either as an homage or just an inside joke.
    -JKC-
    Glorianna - Barbarian adventure! New page every Friday!

I wnder where all those cover scans were sourced from, as i can image thos la reina de la costa negra comics would be almost impossoble to track down

Update on upthread note:

The Spider also received an unofficial Mexican adaptation from the same company. (Although today the Spider stands as less homaged, in the 1930's and 1940's, they had two serials).

Further on Gardner Fox:

http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Crom,_The_Barbarian

I bought that issue as a kid.

It didn't occur to me until now that the villain in that DC comic was similar, kinda, to the REH character.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Funny, I never linked Binder's King Kull with Howard's. I just thought it was a cuious co-inky-dink--or maybe there was an old legend about a King Kull that both were drawing upon.

I was under the impression the KK was an old Captain Marvel villain when I first saw those issues.

A quick check on the GCD shows that he appeared for the first time as a CM nemesis in CM 125 in 1951, although a King Kull appeared in a 1938 issue of Amazing Mystery Funnies.

The CM foe appeared almost every month in one or the other Marvel Family titles through 1952, made a couple of more appearances in 1953 and then went to comic book limbo with the rest of the Fawcett family.