Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raurin View Post
    Just saw this interview with John Rood on Newsarama: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/rood...es-111209.html

"- DC will probably be ending some of the lower-selling New 52 titles around issue #8, and those will most likely be replaced by other new titles."
    I had actually estimated issue 9. Although it's pretty much a given that their will be diminishing returns with each wave, I'm hoping since they've had more time to prep for Wave 2, lightning can strike twice.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

BANNED

Just saw this interview with John Rood on Newsarama: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/rood...es-111209.html

"- DC will probably be ending some of the lower-selling New 52 titles around issue #8, and those will most likely be replaced by other new titles."
    Odd OMAC was supposley to be 16 issues... Maybe because it's a big time editors book. /flex. By low selling do they mean 20k and less?

If Static ends up getting cancelled, I'm hoping DC will replace it with a new Milestone title, preferably the Shadow Cabinet w/ Hardware and Icon.
    "And in a few years, some rebellious little kid is going to turn up at your school with me on his t-shirt. 'Cyclops was right.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    Odd OMAC was supposley to be 16 issues... Maybe because it's a big time editors book. /flex. By low selling do they mean 20k and less?
    Didio had plotted 16 issues, but I don't think his book is immune from being cancelled before all the issues are out. Plans change due to sales all the time.

I think Newsarama is misinterpreting Rood's comment. He actually said:

We were at the "road show" last summer talking to retailers, saying, "Well, we'll probably wait until Issue #5 to make any replacement decisions." And gosh, it's going to be closer to something like issue #8 before we entertain that situation, which is in the "great-problem-to-have" department.
    If DC isn't going to start reviewing sales until issue 8 then everything should get at least 11 or 12 issues on the stands with lead time for solicitations included.

For me, the key quote from that interview is right here:

I don't even think about it in terms of "winning" December, but when you take that strength of F.O.C. #5, and then you add things like graphic novel performance, where we've always had a great advantage, and recently driven by titles like Lee Bermejo's Batman: Noel, then you're like, wow, this is something that could continue to be goofy.

And I say "goofy" because we're sending out half as many titles per month as the other guy.

And I say "goofy" because our books are at $2.99 largely.

Again, we have to keep meeting like this! I expect we won't eventually. But that won't be the measure of the success or failure of the New 52, is how many months we "win."
    DC getting a larger marketshare is nice but the New 52 initiative can still be a huge success even if Marvel is a few points ahead.

I'm curious how far JL drops after Jim Lee is off the title for a few months. Gene Ha is talented but nowhere near the draw of Jim Lee.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

Thanks for posting this. Great interview! But there were several juicy bits in that piece...
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsarama.com
    Today, we talked to the executive about that market share, as well as discussing how sales look for December and beyond. Within the discussion, Rood said:

- DC has a good chance of emerging with the top market share again in December, or at least that's what Rood insinuated. He also pointed out that DC is winning the market share battle each month despite Marvel releasing more titles, often with higher price points.

- Orders for DC's top titles are increasing month to month.

- DC will probably be ending some of the lower-selling New 52 titles around issue #8, and those will most likely be replaced by other new titles.

- In 2012, one of DC's big marketing pushes will, apparently, be the release in May of the New 52 collections, going after the "wait-for-the-trade" market.

- The publisher plans to "toy with" more digital-first content like Batman Beyond Unlimited, which is offered as a weekly at 99 cents while also being collected as a monthly print comic. Rood was careful to placate comic shops by stating that the experimentation with digital content will be done "responsibly."

- DC is also toying with the idea of 99-cent offerings in print comics.

- DC will be putting digital graphic novels and collections on more e-readers, similar to its recent exclusive offering of 100 digital books through Amazon's Kindle Fire. The company will announce book deals with "more partners and devices," Rood said.

- The results of the Nielson survey that DC conducted after the launch of the New 52 is planned to be released to retailers first, particularly at February at the ComicsPRO meeting. But Rood said the survey supports DC's initial belief that the initiative brought in new customers and lapsed customers.
    So...books probably cancelled around issue #8 with new books coming out in May. DC considering releasing 99 cent books (YAY!). Plus, the survey from Nielsen has shown DC brought in new customers..and the data will be shared with retailers in February. Oh, and sales are increasing for them month-to-month and they may be #1 in December as well. "WOW" doesn't quite cover it.

But this part really impressed the hell out of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsarama.com
    Nrama: How will you market those new #1's when there's evidence that the #1's you've introduced since September have not done well at all?

Rood: Yeah, that's a good question. And I'm glad you associated it specifically to marketing, because I'll try not to make editorial discussions here and leave that to the capable hands of Jim Lee, Dan DiDio and Bob Harras.

From a marketing standpoint, some of this is just the law of diminishing returns. The 11th hot fudge sundae is not as tasty as the first. The market only has a certain capacity for newness.

You can send all the postcards that you want that something's coming. But ultimately, there will be a satiated quality to bringing out #1 this and #1 that.

Books get lost in the shuffle. Absolutely. And we were asking both the retail system the local comic shops and the customer to sip from a fire hose in September.

We'll have new titles and replacement titles and other publishing events across DC Comics and Vertigo in 2012.

But we've got finite resources. And the retailer has finite order capacity. And the reader has finite purchase and reader interest.

So figuring out Sophie's Choice on where to put our publicity and advertising attention is the big question.
    Rood comes off very reasonable, knowledgeable and pragmatic here. It is wonderful to see DC acknowledging that everyone--fans, retailers and DC as a company--all have finite resources. Everyone can't buy and support everything. And how awesome is it to hear that coming from one of the Big Two publishers?

Very, very sweet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCzar View Post
    I'm curious how far JL drops after Jim Lee is off the title for a few months. Gene Ha is talented but nowhere near the draw of Jim Lee.
    Little if nothing.

99 cent books and more titles for e-readers? I'm down

No way is anything going to be cancelled any time soon. I'd be very surprised if anything bites the dust before #12.
    I support Danny LuVisi's Last Man Standing.

Since ICV2 is yet to release the sales numbers, anyone want to guess what the sales of Batman are this month?

I'm predicting ~148K. (Probably add another 10K if Marvel's titles have managed to pull a finger out and improve overall sales. :p)

If anyone noticed, over at graphic novels department,
    DC has 35 books and Marvel has 24 out of top 100. DC also held the highest positions in the top 100 chart for graphic novels. Which isn't surprising since DC came in at #1 almost every year for graphic novels and Marvel came in at #6 losing to dark horse, image and several other indie publishers.

1 Batman Noel Deluxe Edition HC $22.99 DC 8.6
    2 Hellboy House Of The Living Dead HC $14.99 Dark Horse 5.73
    3 Boys Vol. 9 Big Ride $24.99 Dynamic Forces 3.76
    4 Walking Dead Vol. 1 Days Gone Bye $9.99 Image 3.55
    5 Batman And Robin Vol. 2 Batman Vs Robin $17.99 DC 2.78
    6 Scalped Vol. 8 You Gotta Sin To Get Saved $17.99 DC 2.59
    7 Green Lantern War Of The Green Lanterns HC $29.99 DC 2.48

8 Sailor Moon Kodansha Ed Vol. 2 $10.99 Random House 2.14
    9 Bprd Being Human $17.99 Dark Horse 2.13
    10 Joe The Barbarian Deluxe Ed HC $29.99 DC 2.08
    11 Walking Dead Vol. 2 Miles Behind Us $14.99 Image 1.88
    12 Batman Arkham City HC $22.99 DC 1.86
    13 Codename Sailor V Vol. 2 $10.99 Random House 1.68
    14 Flash The Road To Flashpoint HC $22.99 DC 1.65
    15 Batman A Death In The Family New Ed $24.99 DC 1.65
    16 Batman The Black Mirror HC $29.99 DC 1.64
    17 Superman Return Of Doomsday $14.99 DC 1.55
    18 Flight Of Angels HC $24.99 DC 1.54

19 Deadpool Vol. 7 Space Oddity $15.99 Marvel 1.49
    20 Uncanny X-Force Dark Angel Saga Prem HC Book 0 $24.99 Marvel 1.47

Click here for proof.

Here are the number of positions dropped since last month.

Action Comics 0
    Batman 0
    Green Lantern 0
    Justice League 0
    Aquaman -1
    Batman The Dark Knight -1
    Batman And Robin -2
    Detective Comics -2
    Animal Man -3
    Superman -3
    Batgirl -4
    Flash -4
    Wonder Woman -4
    Batwoman -5
    Green Lantern Corps -5
    Teen Titans -5
    Green Lantern New Guardians -6
    All Star Western -7
    Nightwing -7
    Superboy -8
    Red Hood And The Outlaws -9
    Swamp Thing -9
    Demon Knights -10
    Supergirl -10
    Frankenstein Agent Of Shade -11
    Batwing -12
    Catwoman -12
    Green Arrow -12
    Justice League Dark -12
    Red Lanterns -12
    Stormwatch -12
    I Vampire -15
    Resurrection Man -15
    Grifter -17
    Hawk And Dove -17
    Justice League International -17
    Suicide Squad -17
    Birds Of Prey -18
    DC Universe Presents -18
    Blue Beetle -20
    Savage Hawkman -20
    Deathstroke -21
    Legion Lost -21
    Legion Of Super Heroes -21
    Captain Atom -22
    Fury Of Firestorm The Nuclear Men -24
    Mister Terrific -24

Excluding, Blackhawks, Men of War, Voodoo, OMAC, Static Shock

BANNED

Hmm at issue 8? They shuffle teams at issue 7 that really gives no time for a turn around.

Well hopefully Static gets on the teen titans or given the large number of teens dc can always give us another teen team book.
    Mr. Terrific send him and power girl to Earth 2 for the JSA.
    Voodoo not sure I suppose u send her to Stormwatch or u launch a new Wildcats.
    Last edited by Linnus; 12-09-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnus View Post
    Hmm at issue 8? They shuffle teams at issue 7 that really gives no time for a turn around. Well hopefully Static gets on the teen titans or given the large number of teens dc can always give us another teen team book.
    Like some has said before newsarama has phrased it wrongly.
    They were planning to discuss cancellation at issue 5. But now they're only thinking of that thought at perhaps issue 8. Which means they have to look at reviews and sales of issue 7 and 8. Once they have decided its probably after the second arc ends that they will cancel the book.