Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Shang Chi got a lot of face time in Avengers #6 today.

Yeah he was good in Avenger 6.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Shang definitely played a pivotal role in #6. It was nice to see that he was Stark and Rogers' go-to guy for interrogating the Universe (or for providing therapy to the host, to put it nicer). The "man and god" dynamic between Shang's interaction with Captain Universe was also very interesting, and the dialogue actually feels like Shang - not like the fortune cookie crap writers make him say in some of his less prominent appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Shang definitely played a pivotal role in #6. It was nice to see that he was Stark and Rogers' go-to guy for interrogating the Universe (or for providing therapy to the host, to put it nicer). The "man and god" dynamic between Shang's interaction with Captain Universe was also very interesting, and the dialogue actually feels like Shang - not like the fortune cookie crap writers make him say in some of his less prominent appearances.
    Oh I loved this issue. I totally loved this issue. Shang's appearance in Avengers # 6 was amazing. I liked this idea that Shang is the only one who could speak to the universe and help Tamara deal with her trauma. Indeed, I agree with Geno, the dialogue felt like Shang. It's easy to portray Shang's philosophical nature as being "out there." In this instance, however,what Shang said felt very real and helpful. Moreover, it's multi-layered. I think for the casual reader, he was acting as a psychologist. For me, as someone who has studied Buddhism and East Asian philosophy, he was implementing classic meditative, visualization, and breathing techniques. This isn't too far off since in real life such techniques are used by psychologists right now in treating patients.

This portrayal means the world to me. It shows that Shang isn't just some martial arts guy. Rather, he offers so much more.
    "I am a man of peace."
    "A man of peace who fights like ten tigers."

i just saw a Shang Chi Master of Kung Fu t-shirt on Entertainment Earth. now if only they'd make a Marvel Legends figure...

Celestial Dragon: I see nobody answered your question...

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Just wondering, do you think that Shang should go through some type of character breakdown a la Daredevil in Born Again? I appreciate Shang's solid grounding and peaceful nature. In the midst of the complexity, conflict, and big questions that heroes in the Marvel Universe usually find themselves in, Shang seems to represent something stable. Indeed, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Avengers series espousing things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=L156XHjoDL0

Still, the thought of the downfall of such a peaceful, centered person is tantalizing. Part of me doesn't want to see him broken down, turning his back on his teachings, and calling everything that he's learned as just a big pile of BS. Then again, part of me does.

Should Shang have a breakdown? Should he turn into a dark, cynical character? Is that what would make him interesting to readers?
    Actually, that's already been done. In fact, it begins with Shang's origin tale. One of the most appealing aspects from the series was an overall arc of his spiritual journey.

That journey began with disillusionment. Having learned he'd been trained (from birth and at Fu Manchu's behest) to kill for evil purposes caused him to question everything he'd been raised to believe. Eventually, this led to Shang's quest for peace and balance.

However, his quest was constantly thwarted by 'games of death and deceit', which (because of his personal sense of responsibility and personal moral code) constantly forced Shang into situations that required violent solutions. Recognizing this created an additional spiritual crisis.

As the series progressed, his character deteriorated and gradually lost nobler qualities. Resultantly, Shang struggled with a sense of 'lost art'. Too often, his actions were violent and destructive. His 'art' (martial art) had become too (martial) swift, vicious, mechanical, and thoughtless. Obviously, this was eventually resolved and Shang regained his 'lost art'.

Doug Moench was way ahead of the fashion in such regards. His prose read like a novel, complete with philosophically introspective insight. Additionally, he always maintained three story arcs: a metaphysical spiritual journey, a romantic journey, and the physical adventure at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick74 View Post
    Celestial Dragon: I see nobody answered your question...

Actually, that's already been done. In fact, it begins with Shang's origin tale. One of the most appealing aspects from the series was an overall arc of his spiritual journey.

That journey began with disillusionment. Having learned he'd been trained (from birth and at Fu Manchu's behest) to kill for evil purposes caused him to question everything he'd been raised to believe. Eventually, this led to Shang's quest for peace and balance.

However, his quest was constantly thwarted by 'games of death and deceit', which (because of his personal sense of responsibility and personal moral code) constantly forced Shang into situations that required violent solutions. Recognizing this created an additional spiritual crisis.

As the series progressed, his character deteriorated and gradually lost nobler qualities. Resultantly, Shang struggled with a sense of 'lost art'. Too often, his actions were violent and destructive. His 'art' (martial art) had become too (martial) swift, vicious, mechanical, and thoughtless. Obviously, this was eventually resolved and Shang regained his 'lost art'.

Doug Moench was way ahead of the fashion in such regards. His prose read like a novel, complete with philosophically introspective insight. Additionally, he always maintained three story arcs: a metaphysical spiritual journey, a romantic journey, and the physical adventure at hand.
    Hey, thanks for the response. Much appreciated.
    "I am a man of peace."

Cool The Only Comic Book Series I've Collected!

Oddly, I'm old enough to remember when issues of MOKF originally hit the news stands and could have purchased many of them, but I didn't at the time.

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of comic books and I never read them as a youngster. Even as a kid, the writing seemed juvenile and stories required far more suspension of disbelief than I was able to muster. It wasn't until the age of thirteen that I really discovered MOKF.

At a roadside flea market, I found three issues of MOKF and purchased them for a quarter each. That was my first introduction to Shang Chi. The next day, at a hole-in-the-wall used book store, I happened upon nine more issues and purchased them too.

At the age of eighteen, I began seriously collecting the MOKF series. One year later, I had the entire run and a complete set of DHOKF. Of course, that was back in the day before the internet and any issues you couldn't find at your local shop, you'd have to purchase by mail order. I remember being so excited when one would arrive, tearing open the packaging, seeing the cover, inhaling the scent of those old pages!

Reading them was AMAZING! I was simply blown away. Here was an odd little collection of adventure stories that combined two of my favorite things: Martial Arts and tales of espionage! Sure, there were elements that obviously had been included solely to appease the kiddies, but Doug Moench scripted stories that appealed to an adult audience as well.

It goes without saying, the cinematic art by Gulacy, Zeck, and Day is some of the greatest work to appear in the industry to this date! That series was something truly special.

Having a complete collection leaves a bittersweet emptiness. I miss the excitement of getting that next issue. Occasionally, I've attempted to read other titles to fill that void, but nothing else quite measures up.

To this day, I still have my prized collection and continue to collect every appearance of Shang Chi in other titles. You know, it really says something about the series that an adult who is not 'into' comic books would go to the trouble and expense of collecting the entire series nearly a decade after it had ended!

I sincerely wish that Marvel would give Shang Chi his own monthly title. I would gladly lay down my cash for that!

News:

The Ang Lee production of a Shang Chi movie that I keep hearing about (it's been what, five years since the first announcement?) was just announced again on a Chinese news service 2013-03-07.
    http://english.sina.com/entertainmen...06/568883.html

There's a Shang Chi Appreciation thread on the Marvel forums. It might be nice if you all went and made some noise over there too.
    http://fans.marvel.com/go/thread/vie...ciation_Thread

For those of you who are interested and don't already know, there are torrent downloads available of the complete MOKF and DHOKF series' in .cbr format. I figure since there will be no reprint of the run in the foreseeable future, there's not much harm in snagging an unofficial digital version.

I would LOVE to see a Ang Lee movie of Shang Chi! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I was reading about Gene Day and his work on Shang Chi in Marvel the Untold Story last night. It was sad that he died so young and shortly after he was taken off Master of Kung Fu.

Cool MOKF Reprint in the works?

SUNDAY, MARCH 17, 2013
    My Chat With Comic Book Writer Steve Englehart
    By JOHNNY LARUE

Q: I want to first ask you about one of my favorite comic books, and I figure you’ll know the answer to this question if anyone does, since you co-created the character. Will Marvel ever reprint the Master of Kung Fu series?

A: From what I understand, they will. The deal on that was, when Jim Starlin and I co-created it [for SPECIAL MARVEL EDITION #15], all we came up with was Shang-Chi. Roy Thomas didn’t feel kung fu was enough of a draw for comics, so he wanted to put in Fu Manchu. Which was fine, but then when Marvel gave up the rights to Fu Manchu, they couldn’t reprint the comic. From what I understand, what I’m told is they’re going to go through and change Fu Manchu into the Yellow Claw, who they do own, and (Shang-Chi) will become the son of the Yellow Claw. And if so, they’ll be able to reprint it. Again, Starlin and I co-created that book, but the main run that everybody remembers was Doug Moench and his various artists, and I’d love to see all that stuff back in print again.

For the complete interview visit:
    http://craneshot.blogspot.com/2013/0...ter-steve.html

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick74 View Post
    SUNDAY, MARCH 17, 2013
    My Chat With Comic Book Writer Steve Englehart
    By JOHNNY LARUE

Q: I want to first ask you about one of my favorite comic books, and I figure you’ll know the answer to this question if anyone does, since you co-created the character. Will Marvel ever reprint the Master of Kung Fu series?

A: From what I understand, they will. The deal on that was, when Jim Starlin and I co-created it [for SPECIAL MARVEL EDITION #15], all we came up with was Shang-Chi. Roy Thomas didn’t feel kung fu was enough of a draw for comics, so he wanted to put in Fu Manchu. Which was fine, but then when Marvel gave up the rights to Fu Manchu, they couldn’t reprint the comic. From what I understand, what I’m told is they’re going to go through and change Fu Manchu into the Yellow Claw, who they do own, and (Shang-Chi) will become the son of the Yellow Claw. And if so, they’ll be able to reprint it. Again, Starlin and I co-created that book, but the main run that everybody remembers was Doug Moench and his various artists, and I’d love to see all that stuff back in print again.

For the complete interview visit:
    http://craneshot.blogspot.com/2013/0...ter-steve.html
    That sounds terrible. I really hope that doesn't happen, or if it does, has no bearing on continuity. I'm all for reprinting those stories, but Fu and Yellow Claw aren't exactly the same.

Agreed.

But I really want to see Gulacy's artwork reprinted.
    Daredevil, Hawkguy, Secret Avengers, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Magneto, Punisher, Wonder Woman, The Wake, Batman, Velvet, Jupiter's Legacy, Black Science,Starlight and Zero.

10 TV Shows That Marvel Seriously Needs To Make
    by Percival Constantine

Shang Chi comes in at #5!

Read more at:
    http://whatculture.com/tv/10-tv-show...-to-make.php/6

Another interesting read:
    http://shangchimokf.blogspot.com/2013/04/test.html

Ha, it's been a good four months since there was a post in this thread. I thought I would just like to update it with some of my thoughts:

- First off, I'm glad to see that Shang has had a lot of screen time in the Avengers. In the last several issues of the series, he's been right in the middle of the action, fighting besides Captain America. I do hope to see some awesome fight scenes were he's up against the Builders in Infinity.

- Would we be up for a more hard boiled Shang Chi? While it seems pretty unlikely that someone as calm and centered as Shang would ever turn grim and gritty, the idea seems a little tantalizing. I was hoping that he could be involved in some Triad, criminal activities, like in the game Sleeping Dogs:

It would be cool to see him involved in some gang war. Interestingly enough, he's got a ton of cred going for him. Undisputed master of Kung Fu, son of one of the most villains in the world, he would be perfect as the reluctant leader for some type of faction in Marvel's Chinatown or, better yet, Madripoor.
    "I am a man of peace."