Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Patty Jenkins Exits "Thor 2"

Less than two months after being hired to helm "Thor 2," Emmy-nominated director Patty Jenkins has left the Marvel sequel, reportedly over creative differences.

Full article here.

Well that didn't take long.

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

Interesting. I do think she was a surprising choice, but if they're looking at her for another possible Marvel movie, but not a sequel, I get the sense that they weren't unhappy with her creatively, they just prefer her building another character/franchise ground up rather than (potentially) reinventing Thor in only his second installment.

Actually what I found most interesting about the article was the proposed release date of Nov. 15th, 2013.....November's an odd month for a superhero sequel. What's coming out the summer of 2013 and the summer of 2014 that they'd move Thor to November rather than have it compete?
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

We Crossed The Line Brother Justin Crowe's Avatar

Whedon'll give it the push so that Goddard gets it. Count on it.
    I rule me.

I wonder what's MCU is looking for? That's the 2nd director to leave over creative differences.
    "Everybody's Waiting," Six Feet Under finale episode
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el4eUKmLujg

http://i.imgur.com/hcuBe43.gif

I'll gladly do it for them instead.
    I support Danny LuVisi's Last Man Standing.

Great News!

The last female director on a Marvel film was Lexi Alexander on Punisher War Zone.

Most female directors simply don't understand how to communicate effectively a strong male lead action character like Thor or the Punisher.

Of course most of the sissy male directors on the Marvel films don't either. The only one who might be able to whip their way out of a wet paper sack is David S. Goyer(Blade Trinity)? And I doubt he could either?

So maybe I should take back what I said about Lexi Alexander. Because she could wipe the floor in a fight with every male director who has directed a Marvel film in the past 20 years.

None of the proposed directors sound interesting at all!
    "The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker side of the Doctor’s nature. Somewhere between his 12th and final incarnation."

Forgive my ignorance here as I have not been keeping up with the directorial saga surrounding THOR 2, but why isn't Kenneth Branagh directing the sequel? I thought he did an excellent job with the original.

Perhaps its another case of editorial mandate getting in the way of vision as with Jon Favreau.

My guess is she wasn't given the opportunity to take Thor 2 in the direction she wanted to.

Perhaps this will be the pattern for Marvel movies. Get a great, leftfield director to establish a franchise and create a playbook then get a middling or untried director for the sequels and follow the rules.

It will be interesting to see what they do give her and what her take on a new film/character would be.
    current top5 - The Unwritten, X-factor, The Walking Dead, WATXM, Amazing Spiderman

"You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a F***ing challenge" Introdiction - Scroobius Pip

Quote Originally Posted by The Gorn Identity View Post
    Forgive my ignorance here as I have not been keeping up with the directorial saga surrounding THOR 2, but why isn't Kenneth Branagh directing the sequel? I thought he did an excellent job with the original.
    I think he didn't want to take an extended tour of the MU as that kind of thing can be creatively limiting. You pass up a lot of opportunities when Marvel wants to pop out films back-to-back.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    I think he didn't want to take an extended tour of the MU as that kind of thing can be creatively limiting. You pass up a lot of opportunities when Marvel wants to pop out films back-to-back.
    That's too bad. I'd love to see Branagh once again at the THOR helm.

I thought Monster was a terrible movie, so I'm taking this as good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Interesting. I do think she was a surprising choice, but if they're looking at her for another possible Marvel movie, but not a sequel, I get the sense that they weren't unhappy with her creatively, they just prefer her building another character/franchise ground up rather than (potentially) reinventing Thor in only his second installment.

Actually what I found most interesting about the article was the proposed release date of Nov. 15th, 2013.....November's an odd month for a superhero sequel. What's coming out the summer of 2013 and the summer of 2014 that they'd move Thor to November rather than have it compete?
    I don't know anything about how movies are made but this is what it seemed like to me.

Its also really good news to know Marvel has a vision for Thor, something they want to protect and they won't let someone go in a different direction with it. It shows a respect for the character that you don't see in some of the non-marvel superhero movies. Especially ones featuring awesome space cops.