Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Daniel Soars with "Savage Hawkman"

"Savage Hawkman" writer Tony Daniel spoke with CBR News about the challenges of establishing Carter Hall in the New 52 and announces a major shake up in the creative team.

Full article here.

oh man. I dropped it off my pull list cos of budgetary issue. Right now, I kinda wanna put it back on.

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

I've enjoyed this title so far. It's far different than I expected and I think it'll read a bit better in a collected volume as opposed to month-to-month (though I'm still getting it month-to-month). The Nth metal seems almost like Venom at this point and things still remain muddled (in story AND art) at times, but still, it's been a fun read and an interesting take on the character.

BANNED

Well I'm glad to see that Daniel is going to be co-writing with another guy, his first issue was good enough but the following ones had kinda awkward dialogue, maybe with another writer he can start delivering a better work.

Phillip Tan really stepped it up, I think, with this series. At the very least we can say that. His work was really hit or miss with me before, but here he's been all hit.

Meanwhile, Daniel has been all miss. I can't stand this book, or Daniels' writing in it. I don't think a new co-writer would be catastrophically different enough to convince me to try it, but I'll look at reviews.

I'd rather they just gave this to someone else entirely. John Rozum, Bryan Q Miller, Mike Costa, Ivan Brandon(!), and Joshua Fialkov all deserve more than what they are writing right now.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I got the first issue of this, but wasn't sold enough to keep going after that. It did give me a good sense of "I can come back to this book", though, so I wouldn't say its completely off the radar. I thought Daniels' writing was solid enough and ever since seeing Tan's concepts before the Agent Orange GL storyline, I've been really interested in the investment he puts into character designs.

Hawkman (and Hawkgirl) is one of my all-time favorite characters and this new series is just... bleh. I feel like they finally had a chance to fix all of the mistakes they had made with the character over the past couple of decades. They might have done that to a degree, but I'm not sure the new direction is much better. The Nth metal is such a gimmick -- a cross between Wolverine's adamantium skeleton and Venom, with a little bit of Witchblade thrown in for good measure. Somehow it just doesn't work for me. Morphicus doesn't grab me as far as a main nemesis either.

Philip Tan's art is very, very hit or miss. I loved his work in Final Crisis: Revelations, but this painted style is muddy and not dynamic enough for an action book. (To see a painted superhero comic done right, look at Francis Manipul's Flash!)

It's a shame since this was the DCnU book I was most looking forward to. Maybe I'll give it another look later and see if it gets better.

I think that I will add it to my monthly list, after the purge I have made on the Edge line titles (the ex-Wildstorm U is very, very... baaaaad!!! And for the Blackhawks, nothing will replace the true GI Joe series!!), I have enough money to spend!!!

It's astounding how much credence he lends to the idea that artists shouldn't write.

BANNED

The most intresting part of the article was about gentlemen ghost:) so hell follows him everywhere he goes you say!!? Go on... As for artist writing ... It's really been a miss for me . Batwoman artist JH Willams can draw like no other. His writing well...... not so much.
    Last edited by Cavemold; 12-02-2011 at 11:29 AM.

I know alot of people bash this book, but honestly theres been nothing bad about it yet. Tony Daniel sets this incredible tone of an early 1950's sci-fi horror story, and Philip Tan brings it to a new level by adding great art with cool fight scenes. If you haven't picked it up yet, give it a shot. I don't think Daniel needed to defend his work by saying it "get's better". It's already good. This book finally made me like Hawkman. A lot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZoMBie BraINs View Post
    I know alot of people bash this book, but honestly theres been nothing bad about it yet. Tony Daniel sets this incredible tone of an early 1950's sci-fi horror story, and Philip Tan brings it to a new level by adding great art with cool fight scenes. If you haven't picked it up yet, give it a shot. I don't think Daniel needed to defend his work by saying it "get's better". It's already good. This book finally made me like Hawkman. A lot.
    You earned 2 gold fish . I never liked hawkman before and actually I thought he was pretty pointless until the DCNU.

well in the article daniel states bringing in a co-writer because he can't handle his writing load...then why'd he get such a large task in the first place! it's not like his writing is so great it's needed in multiple places. sounds like all his work was dragging him down. sounds like it was silly of DC to throw all that at him. good he recognizes it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Keller View Post
    It's astounding how much credence he lends to the idea that artists shouldn't write.
    *cough*

I'm really tired of this worn out notion that artists shouldn't write. If you don't like a story that happens to be written by someone who was an artist first, it has nothing to do with the fact that they're an artist, you don't like them as a writer. It's literally no different than not liking a story written by someone who is "only" a writer. If you don't like Tony Daniel's writing, fine, but would him not being an artist make it any different?

The fact that someone is known as an artist holds absolutely no weight on their quality as a potential writer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    *cough*

I'm really tired of this worn out notion that artists shouldn't write. If you don't like a story that happens to be written by someone who was an artist first, it has nothing to do with the fact that they're an artist, you don't like them as a writer. It's literally no different than not liking a story written by someone who is "only" a writer. If you don't like Tony Daniel's writing, fine, but would him not being an artist make it any different?

The fact that someone is known as an artist holds absolutely no weight on their quality as a potential writer.
    In that theory I agree. I haven't found any great artist that has great writing aswell.