Page 60 of 373 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
    Personally, the end of that storyline was the biggest "WTF?!" moment regarding Captain Britain since picking up a copy of Excalibur #68 and realising that, not only had Alan Davis left the building, but that Brian had been removed from the team roster BETWEEN ISSUES. Pretty much destroyed any faith I had in Remender as to his handling of the character.
    Ah! The fine work of Scott Lobdell, one of the worst (and most boring) writers to ever grace comics!

I've just recently discovered Captain Britain- CB & the MI13 is so awesome and I'm sad it isn't longer, but his appearance in Secret Avengers so far has seemed off. I wasn't sure if I had missed a lot of his story in the interim to turn him into this character (and Beast of all people ripping on him like that was pretty awful), but it seems like this is just mostly out of character? I'm hoping that Gillen will do him justice in the upcoming Journey Into Mystery "Manchester Gods" arc.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayguy View Post
    I'd like to nominate William Regal as our reality's addition to the Captain Britain Corps. He's certainly not heroic. But he's roguishly lovable.

Not that I'm saying that Captain Britain is roguishly lovable, you understand.
    The villain from blackpool would be a good choice, after all He is a real man's man ( if you dont watch WWE you wouldnt get the joke)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Mighty Marvel UK Citizen Willow616's Avatar

Why does Rick Remender hate me?
    AVENGERS UK! A free fan comic made by fans for fans! Stiff upper lip old bean!

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
    LOL maybe that's where Remender's drawing his inspiration from.

Though pretty much everyone's a walking caricature in WWF. And Stephen/William Regal's about as "regal" as Kat Slater.

Lol. "Hailing from Blackpool, England..."

But you've got to love William Regal. He's pure stereotype ridiculous. Although I don't think he's had any superb screen time since his team-up days with 'Pirate' Paul Burchill... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Aelle3 View Post
    Got round to reading the last of the Uncanny X-force...... I have to say as much as I have enjoyed Remenders work up till now, that story was not for me. Even if you disregard Brian's leap backwards in character (and hair cut), the story was outright flat. What happened to Remender in this story line?

How a Captain Britain story failed to grab me, even a little, just shows how I feel about it. On top of the story apart from a few great open panels of Otherworld the art looked rushed and ugly as the series went on.

My biggest complaint is why was Meggan falling like a love sick puppy into the arms of revenge Kurt? ARRRGGG Why!

On a positive note I enjoyed the ending. Even if it is a path I would never have wanted Betsy to fully go down, I found it fairly emotional. Shame it took a flat, oddly paced story riddled with odd characterization to get there.

Still I want to give SA a chance, especially since I have loved the rest of Remeders work.

It was an... interesting ending. Especially given that Brian is supposed to be immune to Betsy's powers on a genetic level. And Vice Versa... ;)

I'd like to nominate William Regal as our reality's addition to the Captain Britain Corps. He's certainly not heroic. But he's roguishly lovable.

I'd even approve of that. He could be like the Guy Gardner of the Captain Britain Corps! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It looks like all our misgivings regarding Remainder and Captain Britain were justified.

Its bad enough that Beast of all people is giving him the "This is why you suck" speech, but considering that Beast's plan was pretty much doomed to fail the first place ( Cap called it a suicide mission) I dont see why Hank has to make Brian his whipping boy.

I'm glad that at least somebody on the SA #26 thread has said they found that jarring, and couldn't understand WTF Beast was talking about. Because, again, Remender is basing that logic on like 15 issues of continuity. Not on the other 30+ years of continuity. To most people that WILL make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by frostfalls View Post
    I've just recently discovered Captain Britain- CB & the MI13 is so awesome and I'm sad it isn't longer, but his appearance in Secret Avengers so far has seemed off. I wasn't sure if I had missed a lot of his story in the interim to turn him into this character (and Beast of all people ripping on him like that was pretty awful), but it seems like this is just mostly out of character? I'm hoping that Gillen will do him justice in the upcoming Journey Into Mystery "Manchester Gods" arc.

I hope that too. But I just don't know. Glad that you at least giot to first read the character in a more consistently written fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow616 View Post
    Why does Rick Remender hate me?

Oh God. Even Willow's given up on Remender !?!?!
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by frostfalls View Post
    If you've not read anything of the character before CB & MI:13 you're in for a shock. Aside from that comic, most of his mainstream Marvel appearances show him as something of a stuffy fool. He's not like that in the Alan Moore/Alan Davis run of his own comic from the 80's, which is available in trades and is really good - unfortunately most American writers see the early issues of the comic Excalibur from the 90's as defining his character, which is not kind to him. Who knows how Gillen will portray him in the upcoming Manchester Gods arc if he's featured much at all - is he definitely in it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword Is Drawn View Post
    Oh God. Even Willow's given up on Remender !?!?!
    Close to mate.......the last issue of Secret Avengers has really pushed me to the edge......

Might have to ask Rick Remender on Twitter a question about his characterisation of CB (respectfully of course) in the hope that there might be some light at the end of the tunnel. This is one of the lowest moments of my CB fandom ever........and thats saying a lot!

Circa late 1980's Ray Winstone. He'd be our Captain Britain, if I were in charge.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

Close to mate.......the last issue of Secret Avengers has really pushed me to the edge......

Might have to ask Rick Remender on Twitter a question about his characterisation of CB (respectfully of course) in the hope that there might be some light at the end of the tunnel.
    I'm sure there's a light at the and of the tunnel all right, I'm just afraid it's attached to a fast moving freight-train.

Seriously, I really am sure Remender is giving Brian a hard time as part of his arc, and it's a set-up for him to do something heroic later on - I'm just concerned that the heroic thing might be sacrificing his life, though at this point perhaps that would be for the best. After all the hard work Cornell did with the character, to have him revert to Claremont-type... it's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Seriously, I really am sure Remender is giving Brian a hard time as part of his arc, and it's a set-up for him to do something heroic later on - I'm just concerned that the heroic thing might be sacrificing his life, though at this point perhaps that would be for the best. After all the hard work Cornell did with the character, to have him revert to Claremont-type... it's horrible.
    If CB dies I'd be almost glad at this point.

Yep you're probably right on the 'bring him down to build him up' theme, don't think he is in line to cark it - as Remender has stated theres an arc after this involving CB.

I'm just at the same point I was back when Kelsey Leigh took over, I was grateful that Brian had effectively been granted an ending......I think we were spoilt by CB&MI13 and just thought that any writer that followed would use this as a springboard. Sad.

I don't know, maybe Brian is acting like he was years ago after Betsy 'died' because he's just lost Jamie.

Still no excuse Mr Remender. You make me see sadness.

And it's not like Merlyn won't just bring him back again, next time a writer decides to bring him back...
    It Came From Darkmoor...

And it's not like Merlyn won't just bring him back again, next time a writer decides to bring him back...
    The next time they need someone to act like a dick so that all the other members of whatever team he on can look good.

The next time they need someone to act like a dick so that all the other members of whatever team he on can look good.
    Not neccesarily.

But the odds seem annoyingly high, yes?
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Not neccesarily.

But the odds seem annoyingly high, yes?
    Death's Head is that you???

I know mate, just a bit despondent at the CB situation hahahahaha! Nevermind, I'm sure there'll be some light ahead for Brian....somewhere.....

It's kind of funny to think of that article a little while ago listing Captain Britain as potentially one of the breakout stars of 2012. Well, funny in a sad, bitter way.

At least we got those nice Art Adams covers - I've always loved how he draws CB.