Page 194 of 373 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196197198204244294 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 5595

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword Is Drawn View Post
    I'm sure it's just an in-joke. Marvel do not own the rights to Dan Dare. I'm not entirely sure who does though. I mean the Garth Ennis abd Gary Erskine series from a few years back was started at Virgin Comics, but completed and collected through Dynamite.
    IPC sold the rights to the Dan Dare Corporation back in the early 1990s.

Someone in another thread pointed out that Dan Dare is also the name of an American comic-book character from the 40's, published by Fawcett (the company who published the Shazam! Captain Marvel). It seems likely it's a reference to him rather than the British Dan Dare.

I hope it is our dan, is the America version sci-fi related?
    An unashamed Bloodstone, Captain Britain, Hawkman, Zatanna and Bat-villain fanboy.

Agent of W.A.N.D, Magic-ops division.

I don't think so, I think he was a crime-fighter. It seems more likely that Steve would know a 40's crime-fighter, rather than a colonel in an Interplanetary Space Fleet that doesn't exist in the Marvel Universe.

Mighty Marvel UK Citizen Willow616's Avatar

Oooooh rats nads! I was really hoping it was the *proper* Dan Dare
    AVENGERS UK! A free fan comic made by fans for fans! Stiff upper lip old bean!

BTW, was this ever posted? In a recent interview, Cornell was asked about the possibility of MI:13 characters showing up in Wolverine.

http://www.comicosity.com/interview-...nto-wolverine/

AL: Earlier in your career you wrote the critically acclaimed Captain Britain and MI:13, delivering what many fans to believe to be the definitive versions of many British characters. Will any of those fan favourite characters be making an appearance in Wolverine?

PC: No. I’m aware of the danger of typecasting, and I don’t want people to come to this title hoping for something that isn’t going to show up. I’d love to get back to Pete Wisdom one day, but this is not that day.
    It's a shame, but I can understand his reasoning for not tackling the British corner of the Marvel Universe in this book. Typecasting is something you want to avoid, and it sounds like he really wants to do something different from his past Marvel work.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

if the story is good, i'm not sure that typecasting matters. Bendis used to be typecast as the writer of solo street-level characters. that didn't stop him from getting the Avengers gig, the x-men gig, or the Guardians of the Galaxy gig. if he's good at writing MI13, he should use those characters whenever he gets a chance to (imo).
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Good News: (thanks alexjamieson3 for asking)

alexjamieson3
    Hi Tom, hope all is well. You mentioned recently that there was a Black Knight cameo that didn't happen. Are you able to divulge what that was? Also, anything for fans of Mr Whitman in the pipeline? Many thanks as always.

TomBrevoort
    It wasn't anything big--he was on a list of characters who were available to show up at the "Jan is alive" party at the end of Brian's AVENGERS run. But he didn't get drawn in, so the cameo didn't happen. But there is at least one Black Knight appearance in the offing in a few months' time.
    Stay Vocal, Demand More MI13 and Black Knight. Buy Original Sins #2
    Support Top Cow- Witchblade and Ravine! Stjepan Sejic Rules!

Mighty Marvel UK Citizen Willow616's Avatar

I've looked into this other Dan Dare as I'd never heard of him http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Dan_Dare and having read Avengers I don't think that this is Izzy Dare's Grandfather. Marvel's history has always been quite amorphous and this could easily be an alternate reality version of the Dare that British kids grew up with. He seems very ready to accept space travel and his adventures could quite simply be spun as a secret organisation the general public were unaware of. His comments that Izzy is party to a legacy seems to indicate that her space-faring is a family tradition. Dan Dare of Eagle certainly didn't appear to be wet behind the ears so he could have known Steve Rogers back in the days of WWII and then go on after the conflict to become part of a interplanetary experimental clandestine operation.....

That said the other Dan Dare is public domain......but if it's him why make it so ambiguous? Which version is better known?

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    It's a shame, but I can understand his reasoning for not tackling the British corner of the Marvel Universe in this book. Typecasting is something you want to avoid, and it sounds like he really wants to do something different from his past Marvel work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    if the story is good, i'm not sure that typecasting matters. Bendis used to be typecast as the writer of solo street-level characters. that didn't stop him from getting the Avengers gig, the x-men gig, or the Guardians of the Galaxy gig. if he's good at writing MI13, he should use those characters whenever he gets a chance to (imo).
    I can see both sides of the argument here.....personally I can understand PC stance, I think he was given short shrift by Marvel the first time round and now wants to maybe distance hiself from the apparent commercial failiure of CB&MI13. I don't think it's a full stop on any future PC work on MI13 by any means, it maybe some time but it does seem that he wants to come back to these characters at some point.

That said being in the position of writing an A-List hero does give him the ability to shine a light on the lesser known of Marvel......and should be used.

I just can't conceive that a creative team consisting of Paul Cornell and Alan Davis hasn't even once whispered the words 'Captain Britain' to each other......or that ideas for the British corner of the MU haven't even been batted about............

Quote Originally Posted by bkdane View Post
    But there is at least one Black Knight appearance in the offing in a few months' time.
    Get in! We've been too long without Dane and the brief appearance in Gambit merely whet my appetite for more........bizarrely ignored by successive Avengers creatives!

This weekend I picked up my Marvel fix and was heartened not only by the *possible* Dan Dare connection in Avengers and the Death's Head panel in Iron Man but also with the last issue of Secret Avengers by Remender.

I think when this final volume collects I may revisit this iteration of the Secret Avengers from the beginning and see if it changes my opinion. This last arc has given me the CB I'd much rather see, a pity that it came too late and not many may have seen this redemption. The AvX issues will probably be the most remembered by most fans (and the appalling Otherworld arc from UXF). For the most part this cast has been defined I think by Hawkeye and Braddock.

From their initial quite obvious emnity we've seen develop into a kind of friendly rivalry. Brian's connections to the A-List of the MU can't be as easily dismissed as they have been before given that in his time with the SA he has rubbed shoulders with Barton, Rogers, Beast, Black Widow, Thor, Danvers and Spidey.

This last arc has been highly enjoyable and the art has impressed me much, finally winning me over to the 'stealth' version of the Davis Default. Brian in this last issue gets a chance to redeem the mistakes of his father, show how powerful he can be by towing a Master Mold into orbit, reasoning Jim Hammond to his senses and ultimately saving the day and of course getting to twat Lady Deathstrike after that slashing she gave him back in the Descendants.

I think had Remender had more time we may have seen a lot of the bad characterisation he'd given us (of other heroes in this as well besides CB) re-evaluated. Black Widow, Valkyrie and Hank Pym I think were very overlooked. Time will tell if this has been beneficial or detrimental to CB.

I've always thought he was a better fit for the Avengers than the X-Men but I'm not sure if this version will have convinced many others.
    AVENGERS UK! A free fan comic made by fans for fans! Stiff upper lip old bean!

Hi everyone i've got one of my weird ideas this one involves Brians dad as you all know he died with his wife in his lab by the Mastermind computer because the computer was corrupted, And now we know Sir James was Brother in the Operation Descendant so what if Father was the reason for the computer to get corrupted and killed them?

Cool idea but I don't think so. I sort off like the idea of the misunderstood father

Other news. Totally guessed this! Warning contains villain in avengers arena.
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=74122

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

where did Union Jack recieve his training? his origin story suggests that he's just an average joe who was brave enough to step into the union jack role, in Kenneth's stead. he mainly used a gun and a knife. nowadays, he acts more like a special forces soldier. was there something in his background that made him uniquely qualified to become Union Jack? just curious.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

where did Union Jack recieve his training? his origin story suggests that he's just an average joe who was brave enough to step into the union jack role, in Kenneth's stead. he mainly used a gun and a knife. nowadays, he acts more like a special forces soldier. was there something in his background that made him uniquely qualified to become Union Jack? just curious.
    I don't think it's every really been expanded upon. I like to think he got a lot of training from Spitfire, but I don't think it's ever been in panel. I would love to see a mini on the subject.
    An unashamed Bloodstone, Captain Britain, Hawkman, Zatanna and Bat-villain fanboy.

Agent of W.A.N.D, Magic-ops division.

Falsworth Groundskeeper highwayguy's Avatar

I've always felt that Steve Rogers had something to do with Joe Chapman's training. I mean, he was there when Joe first took up the mantle. And I'm sure Steve would want to ensure that the new Union Jack is as capable as his former friends and teammates. It makes sense to me.
    WE NEED YOU!!
    Join in with Comicbookresources' Age of Marvels for fan-made and fan-approved solicitations!

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    IPC sold the rights to the Dan Dare Corporation back in the early 1990s.

Ah, right. So they're owned by their own company and licensed out? Interesting. Wonder if they're aware of this? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Someone in another thread pointed out that Dan Dare is also the name of an American comic-book character from the 40's, published by Fawcett (the company who published the Shazam! Captain Marvel). It seems likely it's a reference to him rather than the British Dan Dare.

Curious. Public domain, then. Seems odd, though. Hardly a character of any significance. Certainly no connection to Space.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdane View Post
    Good News: (thanks alexjamieson3 for asking)

alexjamieson3
    Hi Tom, hope all is well. You mentioned recently that there was a Black Knight cameo that didn't happen. Are you able to divulge what that was? Also, anything for fans of Mr Whitman in the pipeline? Many thanks as always.

TomBrevoort
    It wasn't anything big--he was on a list of characters who were available to show up at the "Jan is alive" party at the end of Brian's AVENGERS run. But he didn't get drawn in, so the cameo didn't happen. But there is at least one Black Knight appearance in the offing in a few months' time.

I'm going to call it - It'll be with Wisdom as part of Mi13 in Gambit. Asmus seems keen to use these characters, and I personally thought they had a pretty good showing. Look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatsu666 View Post
    Hi everyone i've got one of my weird ideas this one involves Brians dad as you all know he died with his wife in his lab by the Mastermind computer because the computer was corrupted, And now we know Sir James was Brother in the Operation Descendant so what if Father was the reason for the computer to get corrupted and killed them?

Not exactly implausible. Though I prefer the idea of Mastermind's gaining sentience and motivations of its own. It did, in the long run, start thinking of itself as Sir James' true heir, and decided to take over Otherworld. Which, while the executionwas far from perfect, was actually a pretty sound concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Bowler View Post
    Other news. Totally guessed this! Warning contains villain in avengers arena.
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=74122

Can't get that page to load. What was it?
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn