Page 176 of 374 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 5597

SON OF MERLIN #1

THE BATTLE BEGINS ANEW

Simon Ambrose is a brilliant young professor at MIT. Always somewhat out of sync with the rest of the world, Simon is a man of science and does not put much stock in faith. When he discovers that he is the bastard son of the world's greatest wizard Merlin, he is forced to put his skepticism aside and embrace a world of magic and the mayhem it embodies.

Science and magic collide in this introductory priced first issue! For $1, you can't afford to miss this next step in a battle that has been waged for ages!
    Sound familiar?

Maybe they will get it right, where Marvel routinely gets it wrong.
    Last edited by Kn1ghtmare; 01-03-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Grammar.
    When Captain America died, Americans heard it in an American way: Through the media. When Captain Britian died, the British felt it in their chests!

Mighty Marvel UK Citizen Willow616's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    The basic problem is that Remender uses a version of Brian which existed in Claremont's NEW EXCALIBUR, and some elements of the original EXCALIBUR series which is where Brian was possible.

Now I liked CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI:133 but it has to be remembered that the version of Brian we saw there is actually unlike a lot of his previouis continuity.
    Yep it was a version of Brian that briefly appeared....briefly....under the pen of writers that didn't get him. Before that and for the last 20 years we've had a Brian that isn't that, so choosing to acknowledge one small atypical era doesn't make any sense. Add that to Remenders idea of Brian being 'top dog' on every team he's been on, condoning capital punishment and knowing his family heritage and theres very little left that does fit continuity wise.

The CB I saw in CB&MI13 was a mature, professional hero.........the character had been allowed to grow but this wasn't unlike many of his appearances, Excalibur established him as a peacful man for years....in New Excalibur he was dull to the point of cardboard. Yes, maybe at times 'too perfect' in CB&MI13 but the Beast's line about 'Classic Brian' was a complete insult.

Anyhoo.....the new preview for SA shows him actually winning for a change...and to be honest the better treatment of CB lately in SA I don't think is a coincidence after the backlash Remender has received. The Braddock he's written the last few issues isn't the same one he wrote most of last year.
    AVENGERS UK! A free fan comic made by fans for fans! Stiff upper lip old bean!

I've got it! After watching numerous Year In Review shows over the last few weeks (particular mention to Charlie Brooker) when we started 2012 the UK was under the shadow of the previous years riots and recession.....now CB's power is based on his confidence (and depending on whose writing - the belief of the British people) so by the time he appeared in SA he was probably just a bit depressed.........then in 2012 we had 'Double Dip', Shades of Grey, a damp Jubilee and Geordie Shore.....so he was at a low ebb anyway and got lower.

Then the Olympics made us realise we actually weren't that bad and the sun shone for a bit.....Braddock starts to feel a bit better about things and thats why he's brighter and more able in SA now!

Thats the excuse I'll be using to explain it in future anyway......

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger of Apocalypse View Post
    Out of curiousity, does anyone think Gillen doing a Captain Britain run might be a fun read? The whole Otherworld nature and magic seems like something that Gillen could do in inventive ways like what he did in Journey into Mystery.

I don't doubrt that he could do something with the character, but I'm not so sure he'd be interested. In many ways Manchester Gods was the very antithesis of Captain Britain. Effectively going against everything Otherworld and Cap's mythos has stood for in the past. It does raise some interesting questions and points, though. The Captain Britain who appears there, though, isn't really a fleshed out character. He's there to mirror the landscape, as it is pointed out how outdated that ladscape is. Brian himself doesn't really (And shouldn't) fit into that bracket anywhere near as easily as he does there. He's nowhere near that two dimensional. But it suits the story for him to do so, and so that's how he's used.

I'm sure that Gillen could tell an interesting story WITH Captain Britain. Though I'm not sure it should be taken as read that Brian would come across so well, from it. :)

Sorry Sword I have to take issue with some of what you have said here. If there is one writer, at Marvel who does *not* ignore continuity its Remender. You may not like his take on Brian (personally, I think its far better then Gillen's which is an unfortunate throw-back to the arrogant Brian of yesteryear but I digress) but to say that Remender does not respect continuity simply suggests you are not following his works, he is and always has been a long-term planner and respects the continuity of what has gone on before.

Hi James. I know you're a huge Remender fan, but I can't buy into that. Remender DOES build stories out of past continuity, sure. The problem for me is that often that comes in the form of fixating on specific incarnations of a character, and historical moments from their past, at the expense of the full picture.

And I'm not just talking about Brian here. Remender himself admitted to not having read beyond the halfway point of Excalibur. His characterisation of Brian is rooted in early Excalibur. Maybe in not reading the changes that occurred in Brian in Davis' run, from his time lost in the time-stream during Lobdell's, his change of perspective in Warren Ellis', his loss of power, repowering and appointing to the role of Guardian in Ben Raab's two runs, and other appearances afterwards, he did not realise how implausible it was to return to that characterisation.

But he wrote it that way. He chose to focus on it.

It not the only example. Going back to the Pslyocke and Warren relationship. Going back to The Shadow King being back in the body of Amahl Farouk, without explanation. Rogue reverting from a strong, calm and composed leader in X-Men Legacy to immediately scrapping like a child with the Scarlet Witch in Uncanny Avengers.

Yes, Remender uses continuity. But he does, in my opinion, pick a historical point and stick with it, regardless of how illogical continuity since might make that. He also makes very little attempt to explain his changes, and how they came to revert.

The bottom line is that I never let Chris Claremont off the hook when he pulled stuff like that, and I'd be a hypocrit if I let Remender off for doing the same. So there you go.

Why you would want Brian to appear in AVENGERS ARENA is beyond me.

Because I'd love to see hinm face off against Arcade. :) It's been too long.

But also because these kids are supposed to be in his care. He really needs to be part of the rescue party.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow616 View Post
    I think the genius that is Peter David (my thoughts with him and his family) says it best - "A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

I've used it before, myself. I believe 100% in that statement. PAD hits the nail on the head, there.

And yes, thoughts with him and his family. A truly horrible thing to happen to anybody. I understand from Kathleen David's comments on his blog that he is now able to stand for short periods, and appears to be getting some motion back in his right arm. I hope he continues to make a strong recovery. One of the best, and far too undersung, writers in comics over the past 20 years.

The basic problem is that Remender uses a version of Brian which existed in Claremont's NEW EXCALIBUR, and some elements of the original EXCALIBUR series which is where Brian was possible.

Now I liked CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI:133 but it has to be remembered that the version of Brian we saw there is actually unlike a lot of his previouis continuity.

I don't deny Remender gave Brian some bad lines I just think its factually inaccurate to say he doesn't use continuity.

I don't deny he uses it. My point was that he doesn't always respect it as much as he should. Not embracing the whole of it, or the larger picture.

In approaching any character who has been around for 35 odd years a writer needs to do their homework. The focus should always be on the pivotal stories which make true changes to the character. He missed a lot of those with Brian.

The Cap who appeared in Mi13 gains my respect because it embraced elements of the character which had not been drawn upon in his US appearances. It brought back some of the feel from those pre-Excalibur appearances, and a proper sense of him being this National Hero. Even on Excalibur that was never really explored. It didn't tread on the toes of anything. It didn't miss anthing out.

With Remender I feel like he's just plain missed 15 odd years.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

I've got it! After watching numerous Year In Review shows over the last few weeks (particular mention to Charlie Brooker) when we started 2012 the UK was under the shadow of the previous years riots and recession.....now CB's power is based on his confidence (and depending on whose writing - the belief of the British people) so by the time he appeared in SA he was probably just a bit depressed.........then in 2012 we had 'Double Dip', Shades of Grey, a damp Jubilee and Geordie Shore.....so he was at a low ebb anyway and got lower.

Then the Olympics made us realise we actually weren't that bad and the sun shone for a bit.....Braddock starts to feel a bit better about things and thats why he's brighter and more able in SA now!

Thats the excuse I'll be using to explain it in future anyway......

No Prize Winner! :)
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword Is Drawn View Post
    No Prize Winner! :)
    Yay! My first!

Alright here is my idea.
    Brian has been stressed out due to the opening of braddock academy and having to be headmaster and the symbol of the school. He became stressed due to being incharge of lots of children and teens. He has become happier due to many of the annoying kids disappearing!
    More likely they have been replaced with calmer, kinder machines made by Arcade and that is why Brian has not been searching for the kids.

PS. What works better than the release of MI13 this year. Big selling British spy, we need a comic like that and 2013 MI13, it works perfectly!

PPS. Reply to willow, I can just imagine Meggan reading shades of grey in bed while Brian is trying to get to sleep. He goes down stairs and sees all the students fighting, eating and watching Geordie and TOWIE, and so he could not get to sleep and the next day he has to stand on the same ship as the sickly prince and hearing the dreadful commentary of the show. :)
    Last edited by Demon Bowler; 01-04-2013 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Bowler View Post
    Alright here is my idea.
    Brian has been stressed out due to the opening of braddock academy and having to be headmaster and the symbol of the school. He became stressed due to being incharge of lots of children and teens. He has become happier due to many of the annoying kids disappearing!
    More likely they have been replaced with calmer, kinder machines made by Arcade and that is why Brian has not been searching for the kids.
    Well I'm sold

Yeah. Meggan would definitely be the Fifty Shades reading type. I get the feeling thart she just drinks in pop culture with glee, no matter how terrible or low brow. :)
    It Came From Darkmoor...

But, Sword,GLEE is an American thing, do you really think Meggan would support that (sorry, I couldn't resist ))

I thought you were saying that Remender did not use continuity *at all* which strikes me as a ridiculously absurd statement (he used it more then Bendis, for example) so my apologies for mis-understanding you there. One thing I would like to say though is that, yes, I am a Remender fan but I'm not a big fan, I do not consider him perfect (I am not a fan of his MARVEL NOW CAPTAIN AMERICA run, nothing he said in interviews appealed to me).

The problem I had with the Cap of CB AND MI13 is that he was almost too perfect (same is true of Superman) so I guess it boils down to what we look for in our heroes. For me, the appeal of MI;13 was less in Brian and more in Dane, Pete and the rest of the cast that's all.

I agree that its a long time since Brian took on Arcade (that's something that's hard to deny ) but my worry would be that, if he *did* appear in AVENGERS ARENA Brian would be killed off (just because that's what I would expect Hopeless to do)and we can agree that none of us want that.

I'm no trying to change anyone's mind on Remender I am just trying to make myself clearer. Its always surprised me how much negativity Remender gets for his Brian portrayal here though.

I'm rambling, sorry!

Cheers.

James.
    Any Dream worth Having Is A Dream worth Fighting For.

But, Sword,GLEE is an American thing, do you really think Meggan would support that (sorry, I couldn't resist ))
    I reckon Meggan would bloody love Glee and forces Brian to watch boxset after boxset.

I'm no trying to change anyone's mind on Remender I am just trying to make myself clearer. Its always surprised me how much negativity Remender gets for his Brian portrayal here though.
    To be honest his treatment of Brian actually ruined my fandom of Remender....before he fully took over on SA I was probably his biggest advocate on here. I even writing the words 'Trust Remender'......those were heady days...
    I'm rambling, sorry!

Cheers.

James.
    No worries man I think I do that more than most hahaha it's an internet forum.....if weren't doing it here we'd just be harrassing strangers in town squares

I know this is a marvel Brit forum but I just found out about something about knight and the squire.
    SPOILERS!

Cyril the knight is killed! :(

End of spoilers.

I reckon Meggan would bloody love Glee and forces Brian to watch boxset after boxset.
    The real question is would Brian object?? (Or would he just pretend to )

To be honest his treatment of Brian actually ruined my fandom of Remender....before he fully took over on SA I was probably his biggest advocate on here. I even writing the words 'Trust Remender'......those were heady days...
    They were indeed (and I did trust Remender when you said too and haven't been completly let down, yes there are faults but not a complete let down)

No worries man I think I do that more than most hahaha it's an internet forum.....if weren't doing it here we'd just be harrassing strangers in town squares
    Wait, do you mean to tell me I shouldn't be harrassing people in the streets too?? No wonder I have such strange looks!

Cheers.

James.
    Any Dream worth Having Is A Dream worth Fighting For.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

To be honest his treatment of Brian actually ruined my fandom of Remender
    Remender hasn't done me any favors, either. but was his portrayal of Brian worse than in the Claremont Excalibur run? i remember reading those as a kid and thinking that Braddock was a arsehole. it seemed like he was only there to make Kurt Wagner seem cool. but i did like the Technet and the unpredictability of their adventures. i didn't learn to respect the character until the 90s when he infiltrated the Hellfire Club's london branch. he seemed to have mellowed out a lot by then. couldn't stand the Britannic stuff much, either. i guess he's just a hard character to write.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Remender hasn't done me any favors, either. but was his portrayal of Brian worse than in the Claremont Excalibur run? i remember reading those as a kid and thinking that Braddock was a arsehole. it seemed like he was only there to make Kurt Wagner seem cool. but i did like the Technet and the unpredictability of their adventures. i didn't learn to respect the character until the 90s when he infiltrated the Hellfire Club's london branch. he seemed to have mellowed out a lot by then. couldn't stand the Britannic stuff much, either. i guess he's just a hard character to write.
    Monty mate you've got more reason than any other to not be Remenders biggest fan. I'm gutted for you issue after issue.....I know I've said this before but I don't think I have on here - everytime I hear a sarky quip from Flash/Venom in Secret Avengers I just think 'That was Eric's line'....

Well you do raise a good point here, especially for me, although he did initially create Brian by the time that he started to use him in Excalibur I don't think Claremont truly understood the guy. I started reading Marvel US books because all my favourite Marvel UK characters had begun to appear Stateside (Betsy, Brian, Death's Head etc).....as a big, big fan of Claremonts X-Men at the time I thought that Excalibur combining him and Davis would be amazing.

It was the very things that you have mentioned that put me off the series. For me Excalibur did a lot of damage and as this was most US fans exposure to him thats been the abiding memory ever since.

Claremont did eventually mellow a tad and when Davis returned to Excalibur as solo writer he did manage to regain some of the ground lost. But in my opinion Claremont did greater damage than Remender....because that became to template for lazy writers.

I don't want Braddock perfect, I'm reading the Omnibus again at the moment (AGAIN!) and it's bringing back some brilliant memories....but the main thing for me is that Brian in those adventures is capable of being a rounded character without being treated as an idiot.