Page 166 of 370 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216266 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 5546

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword Is Drawn View Post
    Another Bloodstone? Interesting...
    Given Bloodstone's thousands-year existence, frankly its rather shocking that we've only seen one descendent show up before now. History should be littered with little Bloodestone offspring. Why, it might be possible that many famous monster hunters (Solomon Kane, Van Helsing) might be his offspring.

Say Sword, how are you feeling these days? I hope all is well with you and yours, especially as we enter the holiday season.

Shamelessly self-centered aside: any idea when you can continue your Marvel UK alphabet on your blog? I've been jonesing for letters D though Zed (sigh, Brits) for years now.

Hindsight lad

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight lad View Post
    Given Bloodstone's thousands-year existence, frankly its rather shocking that we've only seen one descendent show up before now. History should be littered with little Bloodestone offspring. Why, it might be possible that many famous monster hunters (Solomon Kane, Van Helsing) might be his offspring.

Good point. That would be interesting to see, too. Plausible links all over the place if somebody wanted to research them.

Say Sword, how are you feeling these days? I hope all is well with you and yours, especially as we enter the holiday season.

I'm actually very well, thanks. Chemo came to an end a couple of months back and I'm slowly building back up to fitness. You don't really use words like 'Cured' or 'Better' with Cancer. But my scans remain clear since surgery in February, and things appear positive. Here's hoping it stays that way

Shamelessly self-centered aside: any idea when you can continue your Marvel UK alphabet on your blog? I've been jonesing for letters D though Zed (sigh, Brits) for years now.
    Ha ha. :) Yeah, the notebook with the original list has been lost to the ravage of time, sadly. Buit I certainly do intend to work on that in the New Year. Along with my summaries for Knights of Pendragon. All been on the backburner for too long.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

So, I read Avengers Arena. And I bloody loved it. :)

Yes, so far, there's no direct tie to Cap. Kid Briton wears the flag, but no mention of 'Braddock Academy' in this first issue. But it was very much a setting up the premise issue.

Loving the Arcade revamp. I've been wanting this for years. He wanders around this landscape impervious to attacks, styled like a 70s Roger Daltry, revelling in his world.

Which to me suggests that he may well be a hard light holographic projection, or similar, controlled by the real Arcade. Who knows.

Heck maybe none of this real. Those videogame health bars over the head of the kids? Cute representation of how beat up they are, or a hint at something else?

Either way this first issue ruled. Out of everything I've read from Marvel NOW only this and All-New X-Men have had me genuinely psyched. Possibly Hickman's Avengers, but I feel like that's a slow burner.

A Runaway, the Academy kids, Cammi (The girl who stowed away with Drax in Annihilation), and these new guys... It's got me intrigued.

It'll be interesting to see when/if the whole Braddock tie comes up. But I'm definitely IN for this one.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Call me Ollie or OJ OJSlaughter's Avatar

I thought it was pretty good too, I certainly like the art. I think the story was a bit weak but that isn't uncommon with a first issue
    Arrogant Opinionist

Indestructible Finger Test of Strength's Avatar

Braddock Academy has a ring to saying it. Sounds tough and strict. Ever since hearing about AA they were actually the group I wanted to know more about.

First issue was good and I'll definitely get the next.

Krypton / Kasterborous. Gallifrey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword Is Drawn View Post
    So, I read Avengers Arena. And I bloody loved it. :)

Yes, so far, there's no direct tie to Cap. Kid Briton wears the flag, but no mention of 'Braddock Academy' in this first issue. But it was very much a setting up the premise issue.

Loving the Arcade revamp. I've been wanting this for years. He wanders around this landscape impervious to attacks, styled like a 70s Roger Daltry, revelling in his world.

Which to me suggests that he may well be a hard light holographic projection, or similar, controlled by the real Arcade. Who knows.

Heck maybe none of this real. Those videogame health bars over the head of the kids? Cute representation of how beat up they are, or a hint at something else?

Either way this first issue ruled. Out of everything I've read from Marvel NOW only this and All-New X-Men have had me genuinely psyched. Possibly Hickman's Avengers, but I feel like that's a slow burner.

A Runaway, the Academy kids, Cammi (The girl who stowed away with Drax in Annihilation), and these new guys... It's got me intrigued.

It'll be interesting to see when/if the whole Braddock tie comes up. But I'm definitely IN for this one.
    Fantastic art from Kev Walker; it reminded me of his former 2000AD colleague Colin MacNeil’s work at times, but maybe that’s just me. Very different from his painted artwork, anyway.

spoilers:
    I’m assuming the colours on Kid Briton’s costume were deliberately transposed throughout; though given it’s almost a direct representation of the British flag, maybe they should have called him “Junior Jack”, as per Roger Aubrey’s nickname for Joe Chapman. I still think that name’s got potential for a teen sidekick.

When I saw the name “Anachronism” I was anticipating a character with a sort of steampunk – y vibe, not someone who looks a lot like Slaine. I agree with Peter F, it’s a great name; I just think it’s a bit wasted here. I think they could’ve come up with a different name for what’s essentially a Celtic warrior. Stoneaxe. Warpspasm. Chieftain. Throwback. Iron Age Man. Something like that.

The story…well, it’s too early to tell at this stage, really. We get the basic concept explained to us via Arcade, and there’s even an oblique reference to The Hunger Games, which I guess was inevitable, given the similarities. But on the basis of how this issue ends, maybe the misgivings a lot of people have expressed about this concept are justified. Maybe it is all some large - scale training simulation, though. Time will tell, I guess.
    end of spoilers
    "No way, Jose. Not a chance, Charles Dance."

spoilers:
    I'm pretty sure the colours on Kid Briton's uniform are switched as a nod to DC's Captain Marvel/Captain Marvel Jr's relationship; someone obviously thinks Brian is our equivalent to Captain (Shazam) Marvel, which I guess is valid, what with the magic-based powers and the wizard mentor.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm pretty sure the colours on Kid Briton's uniform are switched as a nod to DC's Captain Marvel/Captain Marvel Jr's relationship; someone obviously thinks Brian is our equivalent to Captain (Shazam) Marvel, which I guess is valid, what with the magic-based powers and the wizard mentor.
    end of spoilers
    Ahh. Nice touch, if that's the reason.

In his recent X-Position here at CBR, Jason Aaron said he was aware of the Braddock School and thought that Wolverine and the X-Men might interact with them someday, but probably not for a little while.

It might be great if it was set up that the 2 schools were rivals, a kind of slobs vs. snobs, "Animal House"-style situation. It would also be a great flip on stereotypes if the Brits were the slobs. Maybe Union Jack and Guvnor(http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/guvnorss.htm) are teachers, and maybe some of the Troglodytes of Garrett Castle(http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/trogs1.htm) are students. Just a thought, don't come at me with cricket bats.

Hindsight lad

Call me Ollie or OJ OJSlaughter's Avatar

In his recent X-Position here at CBR, Jason Aaron said he was aware of the Braddock School and thought that Wolverine and the X-Men might interact with them someday, but probably not for a little while.
    Brian needs to see Rachel and Kitty again. That really, really needs to happen!
    Arrogant Opinionist

Pete, Faiza and Dane are in the preview for Gambit #8

Funny little reference to Pete's history with Colossus.

Brian will appear in Uncanny X-force #35.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=14583

Oh Rick Remender, you're making it so easy to not miss you writing Psylocke.

Mighty Marvel UK Citizen Willow616's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peter f. View Post
    pete, faiza and dane are in the preview for gambit #8

funny little reference to pete's history with colossus.
    the black knight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AVENGERS UK! A free fan comic made by fans for fans! Stiff upper lip old bean!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyknight View Post
    Brian will appear in Uncanny X-force #35.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=14583

Oh Rick Remender, you're making it so easy to not miss you writing Psylocke.
    Whereas from a Captain Britain fan's perspective, that last page in particular is a welcome development. Although I think most of us still have problems with Brian and the Corps being used to put Fanto on trial in the first place. Betsy's contrition could be another ruse or patented Rick Remender FakeoutTM though.

Still, the sooner Remender stops writing the Lannisters, sorry, Braddocks, the happier I'll be.

I imagined a Brian fan would feel better about that preview.

Who are the Lannisters?