Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

These guys won't be staying in their slabs for long, but this is how I got them, so I thought I'd post them in this thread:

And proving that slabs don't always cost extra, I got all these at well below guide.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewP View Post
    These guys won't be staying in their slabs for long, but this is how I got them, so I thought I'd post them in this thread:

And proving that slabs don't always cost extra, I got all these at well below guide.
    I love the world's finest :) I can't really read the label. How extensive is the resto and is it armature or professional?

It's slight amateur - small amount of color touch, and some tape on the inside cover.

Quote Originally Posted by spotted View Post
    I updated both my regular & signature series collections.

Okay, so I recently joined the CGC, partially as an experiment to find out what the company is all about as well as learn about modern grading standards. Also, I'm moving soon and wanted to get some of my more expensive comics better protected, both physically and financially; the CGC holder will provide some protectiona nd I can use the grades for insurance purposes.

Having said that, I just got my first books back from CGC so I thought I would post the results here. Overall, in terms of the theoretical value of my comics, I definitely came out ahead as three of the four I submitted got grades higher than I expected. On the other hand, a couple of the grades were so odd that I am now more confused than before over CGC's grading standards.

In particular, I made out like a bandit thanks to the inexplicable grading on my pride and joy, the gem of my collection, my Avengers #1 signed by Stan Lee:

This comic is a 2.0 (which is a plain old Good for members of the old school). However, somehow it earned a 3.0 from CGC (i.e. G/VG). I honestly thought it might get a 1.8 (G-) but I didn't think there was any way it would get above a 2.0. It is what it is, which is a beat up comic. How they ended up deciding it's a 3.0 is beyond me, but I'll take it even though I have no plans to ever get rid of this comic. My insurance value just went up by about 25%. My confusion level rose at the same rate.

More books to come shortly, as I can't put all the scans in one post.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

The other comic that came back with a puzzling grade, though not so extreme, is my Tales of Suspense #59. This is a gorgeous book "in hand" as they say, meaning photos don't really do it justice. I posted this over ont he CGC forums and the consensus there is that it would get at least a 7.0 (F/VF), being dinged due to a couple structural issues (some light tanning, a coupld dings and wrinkles on the back cover).

It ended up getting only a 6.5, though, which is a disappoint and a bit of a puzzle. The page quality is nice, the book looks fantastic and I have seen plenty of 6.5's that don't look near as nice. I think they under-graded this one for sure. Whatever the label, though, it's still a beautiful copy:

And my other two graded books are All-Star Western #10 and Boy Comics #6. The Boy Comics is another case where I came out ahead on the grading; I bought it from an eBay vendor advertising it as a 3.0, but it graded a 4.0 instead. Sorry for the terrible photos, I only have my phone handy:

Congrats Scott! I think you may now be able to go on-line and get graders notes to figure out how / why certain books are what they are. You used to have to call them up and ask.

I recently got in my CRIMINALS ON THE RUN #4, the classic FISH IN THE FACE cover!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    I recently got in my CRIMINALS ON THE RUN #4, the classic FISH IN THE FACE cover!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!
    Awesome ^^

Now we just need to see it on a t-shirt.

Hhhhmmmmmmm......... that gives me an idea... ;)
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Really nice books, Scott! To me 3.0 looks about right for that Avengers 1, perhaps even 3.5

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Okay, so I recently joined the CGC, partially as an experiment to find out what the company is all about as well as learn about modern grading standards. Also, I'm moving soon and wanted to get some of my more expensive comics better protected, both physically and financially; the CGC holder will provide some protectiona nd I can use the grades for insurance purposes.

Having said that, I just got my first books back from CGC so I thought I would post the results here. Overall, in terms of the theoretical value of my comics, I definitely came out ahead as three of the four I submitted got grades higher than I expected. On the other hand, a couple of the grades were so odd that I am now more confused than before over CGC's grading standards.

In particular, I made out like a bandit thanks to the inexplicable grading on my pride and joy, the gem of my collection, my Avengers #1 signed by Stan Lee:

This comic is a 2.0 (which is a plain old Good for members of the old school). However, somehow it earned a 3.0 from CGC (i.e. G/VG). I honestly thought it might get a 1.8 (G-) but I didn't think there was any way it would get above a 2.0. It is what it is, which is a beat up comic. How they ended up deciding it's a 3.0 is beyond me, but I'll take it even though I have no plans to ever get rid of this comic. My insurance value just went up by about 25%. My confusion level rose at the same rate.

More books to come shortly, as I can't put all the scans in one post.
    VERY nice!! Congrats on the grade!

I just bought a Hulk #1 CGC 1.5 myself....signed by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee on the splash page.

For those interested in CGC and high grade books, the world's greatest collection of Silver Age Marvel is about to go up for auction. The guy selling has complete runs of every major Marvel Silver Age series, almost all of which are in 9.6 or 9.8 condition. For instance, his run of Avengers #100 has 89 comics in 9.8 and the other 11 are 9.6. He has the highest graded copies of every major Marvel key.

Here's a partial list of the comics he is selling:

Avengers #1-100 (89 are 9.8 and 11 are 9.6)
    Daredevil #1-100 (90 9.8 and 10 9.6)
    Fantastic Four #1-102 (94 are 9.8 and 9.6)
    Journey Into Mystery #83-125 (40 are 9.8 and 9.6)
    Strange Tales #101-168 (64 are 9.8 and 9.6)
    Tales of Suspense #39-99 ( All are 9.8 and 9.6)
    Tales To Astonish #36-101 (64 are 9.8 and 9.6)
    Thor #126-200 (72 are 9.8 and 3 are 9.6)
    X-Men #1-66 (61 are 9.8 and 5 are 9.8)

Get your wallets ready!

For those interested in CGC and high grade books, the world's greatest collection of Silver Age Marvel is about to go up for auction. The guy selling has complete runs of every major Marvel Silver Age series, almost all of which are in 9.6 or 9.8 condition. For instance, his run of Avengers #100 has 89 comics in 9.8 and the other 11 are 9.6. He has the highest graded copies of every major Marvel key.

Get your wallets ready!
    That is insane! I'm assuming of course his collection is pedigreed?

Get your wallets ready!
    That's an auction for millionaires right there....holy moly.

Quote Originally Posted by USArmyParatrooper View Post
    That is insane! I'm assuming of course his collection is pedigreed?
    I don't think it is, mainly because a large percentage of his books come from other pedigrees. He basically cherry picked all the best pedigrees to find the top copies of each issue.