Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CromagnonMan View Post
    pumpknface was using the japanese form boku
    Exactly!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    Scott - you could go through Ted from Superworld and he'll help you out. He's in Holden, MA.

I can't really explain it, but he's always rubbed me the wrong way. I first ran into him at a show back in the late 80's, when I was a kid, and we did a couple trades. I dunno, something about him just raised my hackles. I've dealt with him since and he's been fair enough, but... I dunno, just one of those first impression things I guess.

I'll have to think about it. I do have about a dozen comics I wouldn't mind getting slabbed for one reason or another, most of them because they are in high enough grade that I get nervous handling them, plus a couple low grade books that I would like preserved before they explode in my hands. The cost is a bit high for me -- I mean, I could spend that money just buying more comics, you know -- but on the other hand, if I were to get a 9.6 or 9.8 on one of these books it would essentially pay for itself, so... we'll see.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Say, do you guys happen to know how Marvel chipping affects CGC grades? I have a copy of Strange Tales #167 that is absolutely gorgeous, but it has some pretty obvious marvel chipping. Since it's a production defect though I wasn't sure how they treat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Say, do you guys happen to know how Marvel chipping affects CGC grades? I have a copy of Strange Tales #167 that is absolutely gorgeous, but it has some pretty obvious marvel chipping. Since it's a production defect though I wasn't sure how they treat it.
    Chipping absolutely affects the grade. By how much would depend on the severity.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    I can't really explain it, but he's always rubbed me the wrong way. I first ran into him at a show back in the late 80's, when I was a kid, and we did a couple trades. I dunno, something about him just raised my hackles. I've dealt with him since and he's been fair enough, but... I dunno, just one of those first impression things I guess.

I'll have to think about it. I do have about a dozen comics I wouldn't mind getting slabbed for one reason or another, most of them because they are in high enough grade that I get nervous handling them, plus a couple low grade books that I would like preserved before they explode in my hands. The cost is a bit high for me -- I mean, I could spend that money just buying more comics, you know -- but on the other hand, if I were to get a 9.6 or 9.8 on one of these books it would essentially pay for itself, so... we'll see.
    Teddy's a good guy. Really loves his high grade tho...

As for cost, look into this: http://www.cgccomics.com/MemberPortal/login.aspx
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Teddy's a good guy. Really loves his high grade tho...

As for cost, look into this: http://www.cgccomics.com/MemberPortal/login.aspx

Okay, one more question about the cost of this. When I look at the price listings on CGC, the cost appears to be based on the value of the book. My question basically is, how can I estimate the value of the book when that value is contingent on the grade which I haven't yet received?

I know I'm being a bit contrary, but I'm just unclear on how they determine what they're going to charge. I mean, is it based on Overstreet guide value? eBay sales? If I send them my high grade Jonah Hex #1 and I estimate a value of $100 on it, but they grade it a 9.8, do I have to pay a higher rate because the eBay value for that grade is $600? Personally I think the only thing I might be submitting that would be valued at more than the $150 limit for their lowest price point is my Avengers #1, but since I'm not sure how they determine that, I'm just a little puzzled. I mean, my All-Star Western #10 is probably worth more than $150 but it all depends on what grade it actually is, you know? If were to send them books, would I just guess the value, send in that amount as payment and wait to see if they charged me more?

It seems like a little bit of a conflict of interest to me if it's a situation where they can charge a higher fee by giving the comic a higher grade. But mostly I'm just confused how to figure out what the fee is.

Well, 1) if you join the club you get 3 gradings included. I also think the value is generally based on the overstreet guide, which ONLY has ungraded values. I also think (not 100% on this) that the higher prices are significantly higher, and anything in the few hundred dollars category is pretty standard.

I also think that if you're unsure you can submit it as a standard and if there are issues they'll just call you.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by USArmyParatrooper View Post
    I wouldn't have given the him the time of day, either.

As far as opening them, you can't without breaking the seals. They're designed to be very tamper resistant.
    But it's not like a diepack explodes or anything. I'm just wondering if there are any examples of people trying to game the system. And I'm wondering if people get ripped off by clever resealing jobs and fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    But it's not like a diepack explodes or anything. I'm just wondering if there are any examples of people trying to game the system. And I'm wondering if people get ripped off by clever resealing jobs and fakes.
    Nope, I've never once heard of that. What you sometimes hear of it the opposite - people getting a book back, being unsatisfied with the grade, doing something to get it in better condition (mainly "pressing") and re-submitting it.

Believe me, it works!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I haven't heard anything like that, but what I have heard is people buying Restored label CGC books, opening them and then listing them on eBay as high grade unslabbed books. So they buy the books for the cheaper restored price and then jack the price way up to people who think they are getting a great virgin copy. Which in a way is exactly why CGC provides a useful service, so you know the high grade book you are buying is unrestored. It's also why people don't trust PGX because they are known to often miss restorations during their grading process.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USArmyParatrooper View Post
    Chipping absolutely affects the grade. By how much would depend on the severity.
    What about a neatly placed date-stamp on the cover that was a genuine part of the distribution process? I actually like silver age and bronze age books up to 1976 with those, gives some provenance to the book, especially when it's in a clear area and not obstrusive in any way.

I've seen an Archie #1 with a handwritten signature on the cover (owner, not artist or writer etc) and that 'flaw' combined with other minor issues lowered it to a 7.0....which is FINE/VERY FINE...still kinda high in my opinion.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Gosh! Sorry I'm late to this dance. Here's one you don't see too often. Be mindful though that Superman's advice here has LONG since expired!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00525.jpg  
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

Namor, Defenders #3

Nope, I've never once heard of that. What you sometimes hear of it the opposite - people getting a book back, being unsatisfied with the grade, doing something to get it in better condition (mainly "pressing") and re-submitting it.

Believe me, it works!
    Pressing isn't really gaming the system, it's working within it. CGC doesn't consider properly pressed books to be "restored", and you can only benefit from it with comics that have pressable defects.

Mind you, it is a controversial subject among purists. Others will argue that it's little different from a comic being pressed over time from being tightly packed. Personally I don't have a problem with it since you're not adding anything to it (like glue, replacement pieces, color), you're not taking anything away from it (like trimming) and you're not chemically altering it.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

I'm just wondering if there are any examples of people trying to game the system. And I'm wondering if people get ripped off by clever resealing jobs and fakes.
    I think it happens more with unslabbed books than slabbed ones. I know I'm not expert enough to spot professionally done colour touches.

There are also some dealers who try to attach artificial premiums to their ungraded books, claiming that if the book is sent to CGC, it would grade highly and gain a significant value, and this is their way of trying to get a cut. To me, these dealers game the system too, because they make some of the regular ungraded books over-priced.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I'm with you. I mainly wanted to bring it up as a subject to help educate the masses. Thanks Prof. USA! ;)
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!