Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 117
  1. #16
    Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glue View Post
    On those Signature Series, are they 9.8 (as opposed to 10) because of the signature?
    Excellent question...I'd want to think they wouldn't penalise their own signature line by knocking it down a fraction of a point because of the signature. A 9.9 or 10.0 is extremely hard to come by and account for a miniscule percentage of all graded books...

    Then again, I can understand a nasty, scrawly signature which spoils a cover (rather than enhancing it) becoming a liability. Claremont has some big, nasty scribbles in the Uncanny X-Men masthead....a shame...
    Last edited by Jezebel Bond; 11-30-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    1 Kings 21:23

    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

  2. #17
    Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gumdrop Man View Post
    Wish I had this one...



    (It's going for $1,552,000 so far)
    I'd buy it if I had a bigger allowance.
    1 Kings 21:23

    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

  3. #18
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    montgomery al
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    I've bought a handful of CGC books because they were either a deal or I wanted to know the book I was spending boku $$$ on was NOT restored.
    *choke*

    pmpknface! The word is "beaucoup"!

    Somebody either didn't take French or maybe was surreptitiously reading English-language comics during class instead of paying attention ... (or maybe took French & Spanish at the same time, as in my case, which wasn't the best idea in the world for purposes of reading comprehension down the road, even though I made A's).
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

    -- Reptisaurus!

  4. #19
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    montgomery al
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glue View Post
    On those Signature Series, are they 9.8 (as opposed to 10) because of the signature?
    Unless something's changed since I worked in a shop that sold mostly sports collectibles, I know that a player's autograph on a card, even if it's indisputably authentic, is considered to lower the grade.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

    -- Reptisaurus!

  5. #20
    Senior Member Shawn Hopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    I saw a guy trying to shop around a trunk full of high grade early Marvels at a con. They were PGX graded, though, so people were treating him like dirt stuck to their shoes.

    So how do you open one of these? Has anyone ever tried to scam someone by getting a high grade comic graded, then switching it out with a lower grade comic or an issue of Jughead with just a loose cover on it? Seriously, if they were clever enough about opening it and resealing it, how would you even know if they did? I bet so few people crack the books they could get away with it, because if you crack the book you lose the CGC value.

  6. #21
    Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Seriously, if they were clever enough about opening it and resealing it, how would you even know if they did? I bet so few people crack the books they could get away with it, because if you crack the book you lose the CGC value.
    If someone wants to be reassured about a CGC purchase, the slab can be cracked open and the book can be inspected. Although the CGC premium would have been lost, it can be resubmitted for grading, especially if the owner is satisfied that the book is genuine. The reslab fee would be pretty negligible compared to a high-end CGC value...
    1 Kings 21:23

    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

  7. #22
    Senior Member MDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Fairport, NY
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Unless something's changed since I worked in a shop that sold mostly sports collectibles, I know that a player's autograph on a card, even if it's indisputably authentic, is considered to lower the grade.
    Well then I'm screwed--I got probably 100 or more books signed from my con-going days.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Unless something's changed since I worked in a shop that sold mostly sports collectibles, I know that a player's autograph on a card, even if it's indisputably authentic, is considered to lower the grade.
    I've already clarified that for signature series comics the signature has no affect on their assigned grade.

  9. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    This is one reason I would probably not use CGC for a number of my comics. I don't really have an issue with this policy -- it does make sense, what with the possibility of forged signatures -- but since I personally had all my comics signed, I wouldn't take very kindly to them being "devalued" by a green label. Not that I plan to sell my signed Avengers #1 anyway, but it would be very irritating to me.

    I do have some unsigned comics on the other hand I have considered sending in to CGC for one reason or another but concerns over the cost of the service and safety of shipping the books have so far kept me from doing so.
    Unfortunately that's just the way it is. Even if you leave the comic raw the overall market will devalue it since it has an unverified signature. There are some exceptions. I've heard of Jack Kirby signatures selling for a sharp premium, but he died before CGC was even around.

    The bottom line is I wouldn't have a very high dollar value comics signed unless it's a CGC signature series. Right or wrong, they seem to be the only authenticator that is universally accepted.

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I saw a guy trying to shop around a trunk full of high grade early Marvels at a con. They were PGX graded, though, so people were treating him like dirt stuck to their shoes.

    So how do you open one of these? Has anyone ever tried to scam someone by getting a high grade comic graded, then switching it out with a lower grade comic or an issue of Jughead with just a loose cover on it? Seriously, if they were clever enough about opening it and resealing it, how would you even know if they did? I bet so few people crack the books they could get away with it, because if you crack the book you lose the CGC value.
    I wouldn't have given the him the time of day, either.

    As far as opening them, you can't without breaking the seals. They're designed to be very tamper resistant.

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    Excellent question...I'd want to think they wouldn't penalise their own signature line by knocking it down a fraction of a point because of the signature. A 9.9 or 10.0 is extremely hard to come by and account for a miniscule percentage of all graded books...

    Then again, I can understand a nasty, scrawly signature which spoils a cover (rather than enhancing it) becoming a liability. Claremont has some big, nasty scribbles in the Uncanny X-Men masthead....a shame...
    Frank Miller's signature is nothing but scribble, but no doubt it still carries a premium.

  12. #27
    Senior Member pmpknface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,822

    Default

    I only took Spanish... and wasn't that good at it either. Also took a stab at learning Japanese a few years ago, but didn't get too far. :(

    I have to have over 300 signed comics, but I'd never grade any of 'em.

    Also - even if you also crack a CGC case the comic is also inside a plastic bag.

    I only have 1 PGX book, a POWER COMICS #1 with an LB Cole cover. They selleer wanted over $300 for it for months. Finally he put it up as a standard auction and I got it for around 1/2 of that.
    - pmpknface

    "Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

  13. #28
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    montgomery al
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    Beaucoup may well be the first French word of any significance that I ever encountered, actually, thanks to Ringo Starr's Beaucoups of Blues album, which came out a few days after I turned 10. Not that I had any idea of (a) how to pronounce it or (b) what the heck it meant. Or, for that matter, (c) have ever, AFAIK, heard anything off it. (I did buy the 45 of "Back Off Boogaloo," off a subsequent LP, a couple of years later.)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

    -- Reptisaurus!

  14. #29
    Senior Member dr chimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    my collection is worthless

  15. #30
    Senior Member CromagnonMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    salford uk
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    pumpknface was using the japanese form boku

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •