Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Robinson Notes Low Orders For "Shade"

The critically acclaimed and long awaited series from DC Comics focusing on Starman villain The Shade hasn't yet set the sales charts on fire, but James Robinson is hoping for interest to support his full 12-issue run.

Full article here.

BANNED

That seems wierdly self sabotaging, especially after Marvel pulling this recently. I'm not picking this book up but reading Robinsons comments If I was about to Id certainly think twice now.

I kinda doubt it would cancelled before the twelve issues are completed. It's one of those books that is almost certainly going to sell better in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf View Post
    That seems wierdly self sabotaging, especially after Marvel pulling this recently. I'm not picking this book up but reading Robinsons comments If I was about to Id certainly think twice now.
    So you're not picking up the book, but felt you needed to tell us all that you're still not picking up the book. That's helpful.

For those of you who've been reading SHADE, this is your chance to make a difference. I plan on buying two issues of every release and give one copy to a friend. Yes, that's how much I like this and Darwyn's recent CBR interview has me even more excited.

So, fans, if you want this series to ensure its completion, get the word out!
    - JimmyDee -
    I ain't no hot dog, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    So you're not picking up the book, but felt you needed to tell us all that you're still not picking up the book. That's helpful.

For those of you who've been reading SHADE, this is your chance to make a difference. I plan on buying two issues of every release and give one copy to a friend. Yes, that's how much I like this and Darwyn's recent CBR interview has me even more excited.

So, fans, if you want this series to ensure its completion, get the word out!
    You're missing his point. Robinson may have scared off some potential readers by warning that the series will be canceled soon if sales don't improve. It's always a shame when a good comic has poor sales, but it's understandable that a lot of people are skipping The Shade after getting burned by Robinson's recent work on JLA and Cry For Justice. (JUSTICE!!!) Yeah, Golden Age and Starman were great comics, but Robinson wrote those a long time ago.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

A big thing that confused me was how does this series work? Is it set in the same continuty of the old Starman series? The new DCU? Earth 2? I never really saw anything telling me what it was. If its not tied to the old Starman series I really didn't have that much interest in it honestly since I think those ties are what made the Shade so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    A big thing that confused me was how does this series work? Is it set in the same continuty of the old Starman series? The new DCU? Earth 2? I never really saw anything telling me what it was. If its not tied to the old Starman series I really didn't have that much interest in it honestly since I think those ties are what made the Shade so cool.
    Mikaal Thomas, Blue Starman.
    Hope O'Dare (bad romantic dialgoue and all)
    Deathstroke.
    Bobo Benetti.

You decide.

Exactly my sentiments.

I was going to buy this series in single issues, but I removed it from my pull list before the first issue came out. I decided to wait for the eventual collection (hopefully a hardcover). It'll go nice on my shelf next to my six Starman omnibuses.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I kinda doubt it would cancelled before the twelve issues are completed. It's one of those books that is almost certainly going to sell better in trade.
    DC cancelled the Great Ten miniseries. It was originally supposed to run for 10 issues. It ended up being only 9 issues, and Tony Bedard had to wrap up the storyline an issue early.

Just how low are orders for this? I can't imagine retailers would've ordered anything less than Marvel minis have been getting.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Fan 31593 View Post
    I was going to buy this series in single issues, but I removed it from my pull list before the first issue came out. I decided to wait for the eventual collection (hopefully a hardcover). It'll go nice on my shelf next to my six Starman omnibuses.
    Assuming the collection isn't cancelled due to lack of interest. Especially as it seems the series isn't currently doing too well in terms of sales.

This is a damn shame. It's a shame that more people are not reading this comic, which frankly is better than a few non-miniseries books I'm picking up, and it's a shame that Robinson may be stuck with the stigmata of Cry for Justice, which people need to get over. Did it suck? Yeah. Was it BS that Lian was killed via Executive Meddling? YEAH! But people have to understand that James Robinson is a damn good writer, Cully Hamner's art is awesome, and that The Shade is one of the more interesting characters in current DCU.

Ra's Al Cool

I was going to trade-wait on this, but I'll buy it in singles after reading about how low its sales are. That's criminal.

I don't think that matters at all. The series has been doing pretty well standing on its own two feet.
    Calling All Writers!
    Join the fledgling Ultimate DC Unified Fanfiction Community
    Ultimate DC Universe
    Tons of Titles still available!