Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Hickman Looks to "Forever" in "Fantastic Four"

"Fantastic Four" #600 kicked off writer Jonathan Hickman's biggest story yet. CBR spoke with Hickman about the issue and his plans for "FF" and "Fantastic Four" now that there are two titles.

Full article here.

Note: this article has big spoilers.

Plus I love the sound of this about the future of the FF spin-off:

Once "Forever" and "All Hope Lies in Doom" wrap up Hickman will use the "FF" title to explore the characters and concepts of the larger Fantastic Four universe. "Often it will be about the kids. Sometimes it will be about everybody in the family; the legion of Fantastic Four characters. Some months it will be about Doctor Doom. Some months it might be about the Inhumans," Hickman explained. " And then, some months, it will be about other things that readers don't know about yet. So it's definitely a very interesting vehicle for a lot of the cool concepts surrounding the FF."

I've been reading Hickman's run in trade, but this stuff sounds pretty good! I many have to switch to floppies starting today...

Quote Originally Posted by nomadic writer View Post
    Once "Forever" and "All Hope Lies in Doom" wrap up Hickman will use the "FF" title to explore the characters and concepts of the larger Fantastic Four universe. "Often it will be about the kids. Sometimes it will be about everybody in the family; the legion of Fantastic Four characters. Some months it will be about Doctor Doom. Some months it might be about the Inhumans," Hickman explained. " And then, some months, it will be about other things that readers don't know about yet. So it's definitely a very interesting vehicle for a lot of the cool concepts surrounding the FF."
    That sounds great, but sadly from the description I feel like some months are gonna be about being cancelled. Hope it lasts
    Last edited by Kiryu; 11-23-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    Don't worry.
    My brother and sister of the atom.
    We are the X-men, and we stand together

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Looks like "FF" is the place to be where Hickman can bring back supporting characters from its 50-year history, like hopefully Sharon Ventura.
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

At least in the interview, Hickman admits to honesty by saying that Johnny actually DID DIE at the end of "Three".

SO that will not make Marvel look bad in terms of characters death, because at least this one stuck for a few mintues or so.

The Human Torch is back? But... he's dead. He died. I don't understand.

This has editorial mandate written all over it. Complete and utter hogwash.
    Check out the O.A.W. Report at www.majinoaw.blogspot.com. You want to see why I say the things I do or understand what's in my head... this is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Iskow View Post
    The Human Torch is back? But... he's dead. He died. I don't understand.
    FANTASTIC FOUR #600 tells the BTS story behind what occurred following Issue #587.

Just Endless

Reactions:

A) First and foremost, post-forever, Hickman FF? Awesome. Awesome. Awesome!

B) I did not appreciate the ordering of the stories in 600. The first two are AMAZING, so, so good, and they are immediately followed with 15 pages that MAJORLY should have been back-ups, or previews, or like, internet promotion or something. Useful for filling in story, not very cool after two wonderful stories. Even had they placed these three BETWEEN stories 1 and 2 the issue would flow far better.

C) Interesting what Hickman says about the pacing and timing issues they had. It goes a long way to explain the 6th and 7th issues (the terrible art, esoteric Black Bolt cosmic story that forced me to do a ton of research), and just why FF has felt like it has of late.

In conclusion, I love this series, and 600 is no exception, long live Hickman's FF.
    Batman Inc.
    New/Uncanny/Young Avengers, Cap, Daredevil, FF, Hawkeye, Thor, Uncanny X-Force, Uncanny X-Men, WatXM
    Saga, Unwritten

This is why I love Hickman's work. He's always a man with a plan.

I never doubted that Johnny's death was gratuitous or editorially mandated but a way to progress the character somehow.]

I can't wait to find out where he goes with it.

The Galactus stuff sounds interesting too. It takes a good writer to find a different and worthwhile take on him that doesn't repeat what has come before.

Hickman has managed to expand the FF universe so much in his time. I wouldn't object if they became the cornerstone of Marvel Cosmic considering so many of DnA's universe seems to be converging here.

Long may he rule!
    current top5 - The Unwritten, X-factor, The Walking Dead, WATXM, Amazing Spiderman

"You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a F***ing challenge" Introdiction - Scroobius Pip

BANNED

I kind of just skimmed the article, because I didn't want to read too many spoilers. But I am really upset about spoilers:
    Johnny still being alive. I knew his death wouldn't last, but I thought at least he'd remain dead for Hickman's run. Didn't he say somewhere he wouldn't be bringing Johnny back while he was on the book?
    end of spoilers

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

Hickman got it right by improving all the inner FF' mythologia.

More Galactus !!
    More Inhumans !!

If the quality of art (Black Bolt story) could follow, that would be a total masterpiece..
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderCrawler View Post
    I kind of just skimmed the article, because I didn't want to read too many spoilers. But I am really upset about spoilers:
    Johnny still being alive. I knew his death wouldn't last, but I thought at least he'd remain dead for Hickman's run. Didn't he say somewhere he wouldn't be bringing Johnny back while he was on the book?
    end of spoilers
    Do you really think he'd explain his plans for the book in an interview?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
    Do you really think he'd explain his plans for the book in an interview?
    Um, he kind of did.

spoilers:
    The tale becomes even richer at the end of Part One of "Fantastic Four" #600, where the portal to the Negative Zone opens and Hickman and artist Steve Epting reveal Johnny Storm, still alive and fighting the good fight while trapped in the Negative Zone.

"Johnny's death and then resurrection in the Negative Zone was always part of my initial plan for the book."
    end of spoilers