Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Kieron Gillen Has Sinister Plans for "Uncanny X-Men"

In the "Uncanny X-Men" #1, Cyclops' new Extinction Team of X-Men underwent a baptism of fire as they went up against his old foe Mister Sinister. We spoke with writer Kieron Gillen about his plans for the series.

Full article here.

BANNED

Storm is essential because she is the biggest hypocrite.

"I really don't want to say much about Sinister, because in the second issue we're really going to do all that," Gillen said. "I think of all of the big, iconic X-Men villains, he's the trickiest one to describe. We never really got a satisfying answer to the question of what has Sinister been up to all these years, so we're going to answer that question. We're going to reveal what he's been after and the reasons for it. After we show you what he's been up to, we'll establish a new status quo by showing you what he's doing now.

"We really want to elevate Sinister and turn him in a great, weird and interesting character," Gillen continued. "You got some hints of that in the first issue with the enormous Sinister World's Fair cliffhanger. In the next issue, we'll explore that World's Fair and Sinister will tell us what he's been up to all these years. He's a guy who likes monologues, so we're lucky he's charismatic enough to pull it off. He's kept these secrets all these years, and now he's finally got a chance to talk. We're having a lot of fun with that."

Most of what Sinister reveals about himself will come via his dialogue, actions and -- as Gillen puts it - "demonstrations," but there will be one moment that flashes back to a pivotal point in the character's past. "Essentially, it's the bat flying through the window moment. It's his 'I will become the British Class System' moment, if you will," Gillen said with a laugh. "I'm not going to go through his entire history and say here's what Sinister has been doing in each era. It's more the general idea of what he's been up to. There's a couple other ideas, as well, which relate to the examinations he was doing in 'Uncanny X-Men' #544, the final issue of our last volume."

As the X-Men investigate Sinister's construct, they'll discover that their old villain poses a different kind of threat to the city of San Francisco and the world than they initially expected. "The cliffhanger at the end of issue one may lead some people to think this is an invasion-style story, but that's not really the case," Gillen explained. "Sinister has made this area in the middle of San Francisco, but I would not necessarily assume he's turned all the humans in that area into copies of himself. I can see why people may assume that, but it's not the way the story is going. It's much more about Sinister making a new Sinister. Like we saw in that last issue of 'Uncanny,' that's kind of what he's been doing for a while now. There's an idea that he is his own Frankenstein's monster."
    Put simply. Yay.
    Last edited by witness; 11-22-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Hes thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by witness View Post
    Put simply. Yay.
    Utopia versus the Class System. hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

I still want to know how Mr. Sinister went from being a vampiric drag queen with a mean streak like Dr. Mengele to a foppish almost Oscar-Wilde-like egomaniac, who co-opts Celestial technology to put his face everywhere and on everything.

I guess that means I'm interested by his writing at the moment.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

How many times is Scott gonna profess that the X-men are superheroes blah blah, They need to just take over and make the Avengers bow to their knees.

Its the only way. JK
    If Bishop had succeeded, we would've never had AvX. Bishop was right. - Seresecros

BANNED

Sounds good. I like Gillen's Sinister a lot. He's still a bit camp but he's more fun/interesting now too.

I still don't like the new evil-magician design for Sinister, but I love Gillen's idea of making Sinister the major arch-enemy of this title. Its about time Sinister is finally given some proper time and effort by a writer. I really like the idea of Sinister experimenting on the Phalanx (another one of my favorites), so I'll definitely have to check out that issue.

I do have to disagree with Gillen's opinions of the Celestials, which are probably my least favorite design of all of Kirby's creations. The are just far too retro and 1960's for me. They are more fit for the more out-dated and "Lost In Space" style of the Fantastic Four villains than X-Men villains.

Sa far, this series is lookin' to be hit or miss with my taste. Some things I absolutely love, but then there are just as many things that I absolutely hate.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKWINGS View Post
    I still don't like the new evil-magician design for Sinister, but I love Gillen's idea of making Sinister the major arch-enemy of this title. Its about time Sinister is finally given some proper time and effort by a writer. I really like the idea of Sinister experimenting on the Phalanx (another one of my favorites), so I'll definitely have to check out that issue.

I do have to disagree with Gillen's opinions of the Celestials, which are probably my least favorite design of all of Kirby's creations. The are just far too retro and 1960's for me. They are more fit for the more out-dated and "Lost In Space" style of the Fantastic Four villains than X-Men villains.

Sa far, this series is lookin' to be hit or miss with my taste. Some things I absolutely love, but then there are just as many things that I absolutely hate.
    I'm not a fan of the Celestials either, or pretty much any cosmic based character or story. It's how the X-Men react to these things that makes it fun for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    Storm is essential because she is the biggest hypocrite.
    Every X-men is hypocrite. I would say Scott is even bigger since he whined about everything Xavier did then immediately copied the Xavier Playbook.

With every interview I read, I'm increasingly convinced that Kieron Gillen has just the right feel for these characters. Uncanny X-men #1 really felt like his book as opposed to simply just continuing what Matt Fraction established previously in Uncanny. He has a much more serious tone in his story as opposed to some of the more cartoony elements that Matt Fraction had. Not that it didn't work for Fraction, but I think that given the circumstances surrounding Schism the tone set by Kieron Gillen works.

I like that analogy he did with Batman and the Extinction team. In many ways the X-men are like Batman dangling humanity over a roof. He has Colossus/Juggernaut, Magneto, Namor, and a girl who may or may not have the Phoenix Force on his team. That's a lot of firepower and they could definitely tear humanity a new one if they wanted. That's part of why I'm interested in seeing how Cyclops manages it along with Storm. She sounds like the stop-gap that will prevent Cyclops from dropping humanity like Batman would drop a suspect. I hope that means a more interesting dynamic between the two. I wonder if Gillen will use the elements that play out in Astonishing X-men #44 to develop that relationship. I hope he does because Storm has been put in a very difficult position. How she handles that position should make for some very interesting stories.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Dammit I want the Sinister who pops up outta nowhere and makes deals with the Devil.

I want the Sinister who kicks ass and leaves you baffled in mystery

This Happy go Lucky guy reminds of the guy from the chocalate factory.

Last edited by IN-A-SYNCH; 11-22-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    If Bishop had succeeded, we would've never had AvX. Bishop was right. - Seresecros

BANNED

Storms plan of "dealing" with her position was to join The Avengers so she could still fell like a hero.

BANNED

Still I suppose Sinister becomes Arch Villain by default, he is the only important rogue in the gallery who is still active.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
    Still I suppose Sinister becomes Arch Villain by default, he is the only important rogue in the gallery who is still active.
    The Gallery from X-men 1, well in that case where is Mojo he is still alive correct?

Last edited by IN-A-SYNCH; 11-22-2011 at 08:44 AM.