Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    you'd be surprised....certain places in various fields only hire if you went to a specific university or universities

and now the stigma on Penn State will most definitely give some employers pause
    But also, there are a lot of PSU alumni in high positions at major companies in the mid-Atlantic region who will always give a graduate a shot over someone else. As who you know often counts more than what you know, the old school tie is still pretty significant, even if the tie doesn't look as sharp at the moment. It's not how I'd like things to be done, but it's how things are.

more issues for Penn State

- State Farm has pulled their sponsorship from the football team

- General Motors is considering pulling their sponsorship
    Support your local roller derby league

Obviously, this blue part here is the land...

Stop talking, Rick.

Santorum Defends Penn State, Blasts Freeh Report

SANTORUM: I actually read the Freeh Report. I don’t know if you did or not, but I did. And, my concern with the Freeh report, a lot of the conclusions in the Freeh report aren’t matched by the evidence that they presented and so I’ve been talking to a lot of folks at Penn State and they say, ‘you’re just gonna have to wait for the criminal trial of these two guys at Penn State.’ I think there is going to be a whole new line set on what really went on there. So I’m sort of sitting back and waiting for the facts to come out as opposed to at least I’m being told is a version of the facts. … Let’s get the truth. So I think we’re going to see some things come up a little different in the next six months. I just want to make sure we get it right.

Contra Santorum, the Freeh Report’s central finding — that “nothing was done and Sandusky was allowed to continue with impunity” by Penn State’s leaders — has been treated as conclusive by most observers of the scandal. There’s a good reason for that: the report parsed 3.5 million emails and conducted around 430 interviews. A number of emails arrayed in the report’s timeline of events confirm that Paterno, Spanier, and others had been presented with strong evidence of Sandusky’s actions and yet still decided to sweep the events under the rug — enabling multiple instances of abuse to take place. Unless Santorum has reason to believe these were falsified or somehow insufficient, it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that he’s in denial about what took place at his alma mater.

Indeed, when the abuse scandal broke, Santorum expressed support for Paterno, saying “I have no idea what his side of the story is” and “of course I’ll be rooting for him and wish him the best.” Eight months later, Santorum is still supporting the former coach.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Algren View Post
    Stop talking, Rick.

SANTORUM: I actually read the Freeh Report. I don’t know if you did or not, but I did. And, my concern with the Freeh report, a lot of the conclusions in the Freeh report aren’t matched by the evidence that they presented and so I’ve been talking to a lot of folks at Penn State and they say, ‘you’re just gonna have to wait for the criminal trial of these two guys at Penn State.’ I think there is going to be a whole new line set on what really went on there. So I’m sort of sitting back and waiting for the facts to come out as opposed to at least I’m being told is a version of the facts. … Let’s get the truth. So I think we’re going to see some things come up a little different in the next six months. I just want to make sure we get it right.

Contra Santorum, the Freeh Report’s central finding — that “nothing was done and Sandusky was allowed to continue with impunity” by Penn State’s leaders — has been treated as conclusive by most observers of the scandal. There’s a good reason for that: the report parsed 3.5 million emails and conducted around 430 interviews. A number of emails arrayed in the report’s timeline of events confirm that Paterno, Spanier, and others had been presented with strong evidence of Sandusky’s actions and yet still decided to sweep the events under the rug — enabling multiple instances of abuse to take place. Unless Santorum has reason to believe these were falsified or somehow insufficient, it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that he’s in denial about what took place at his alma mater.

Indeed, when the abuse scandal broke, Santorum expressed support for Paterno, saying “I have no idea what his side of the story is” and “of course I’ll be rooting for him and wish him the best.” Eight months later, Santorum is still supporting the former coach.

Santorum has an issue where he clearly doesn't understand things. I mean its beyond him. Remember he mocked an aspect where John F Kennedy 2-3 decades ago basically said a man's religious beliefs shouldn't be held against him if he becomes President. Jon Stewart showed the comment and then showed Santorum's dumb reaction claiming Kennedy was against religion. It was there Stewart basically wondered if Santroum saw or read what we did and if he is truelly that misguided.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

so Franco Harris was on OTL this afternoon and promptly made an ass out of himself

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Algren View Post
    Stop talking, Rick.

Santorum defending the coverup of child rape? Well, he is a Catholic. I guess it's just a reflex at this point.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Fucking Santorum, man. He deserved that Google blast of the urban dictionary definition of his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Santorum defending the coverup of child rape? Well, he is a Catholic. I guess it's just a reflex at this point.
    Probably has more to do with being a Penn State alum. I wonder if he got any political boost or campaign endorsement or something from Paterno or Sandusky during any of his Pennsylvania Senate or national campaigns. It would make sense for him to.

***I wouldn't fault Santorum for having gotten an endorsement from either of them back when they were highly respected and beyond reproach, either. Just trying to understand his attitude.***

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Heard an interesting interview today... Dave Pasch. He was on Phoenix KTAR 620, who are reporting from Cardinals Training Camp. He's there game day play-by-play radio commentator, but he's also an ESPN College Football television analyst. He talked about how they had to walk a fine line as broadcasters, when he had the first Penn State game after the news broke about Sandusky. You couldn't ignore talking about it, during the game. It was on everyone's minds. But you don't want it to become the whole focus of your game coverage. Because, y'know, you're there to cover the game. It's still decidedly a story that you have to explore, and do so objectively during the broadcast.

And the hosts asked, if he might be covering the first Penn State game on TV AFTER the penalty came down, and he didn't know it to be the case that it will be him or now but was positive whoever does get that assignment is going to have pre-game prep, and discussion as a broadcast team on how to handle it appropriately. Report it, don't act like it never happened, but don't let it distract from the players on the field. Finding that balance.

Really, as a sports journalist/broadcaster... that really is a tough thing to do. It's obviously going to impact the game, but to not reopen the wounds or seem partisan as relates to the outcome of the game... that's going to be interesting to see how it's handled.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    agreed....im not saying lets just throw jobs to everyone, but people from smaller schools don't even get considered sometimes and that is unfair IMO
    You might see "fair" in Heaven, if you believe in Heaven, outside of there It is exceedingly rare and not to be expected
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    You might see "fair" in Heaven, if you believe in Heaven, outside of there It is exceedingly rare and not to be expected
    I know, I know

just venting...Ill just toil here on the low rungs, eat dirt, and be grateful to have it...my dreams of the executive washroom are dead

By all means, let's get back to that tangent that has nothing to do with the thread. We'd all love that!

so Rick Santorum is an idiot, Franco Harris is just a sad apologist, the statue is down, and the football program is gutted

I don't think Franco Harris is an apologist about Paterno. I think he's more in denial. He claims the Freech Report is flawed and incomplete because they didn't interview Paterno, Mike McCreedy and the two Penn State officials awaiting trial on perjury.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    I don't think Franco Harris is an apologist about Paterno. I think he's more in denial. He claims the Freech Report is flawed and incomplete because they didn't interview Paterno, Mike McCreedy and the two Penn State officials awaiting trial on perjury.
    Franco though has soft feelings for Paterno. In one picture it shows the coach hugging Harris on the sideline of a game. I think its more of personal hit to Franco that a man he respected so much , one he took up for last fall ...is responsible. We questioned his sons being so behind their father and questioned that . Now we see one former player unable to accept it. And he's a player. Now we can sit and realize what the children of Joe Paterno is going through and not able to handle it...
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.