Page 656 of 677 FirstFirst ... 156556606646652653654655656657658659660666 ... LastLast
Results 9,826 to 9,840 of 10148

The difference in threads dealing with diversity in the X-Men and Avengers boards could have to do with the mods in each. I know for example in the general Marvel board the mods tend to kick anything approaching it into another section, or lock it or suggest a change in subject lest they be forced to lock it. I'm not sure if the X-Men board mods ever step in on discussions outside of blatant personal attacks or rampant profanity use (which is the mod style I prefer personally).
    A Fool for the Foom

Quote Originally Posted by DattaBoy View Post
    Is there reason why the JL doesn't get the same flack as the X-Men I mean really they have what one maybe one and half after the roster possibly expands........ And there are few and far between...

And gee say what you want about Marvel but at least they have trades available for BP, Cage and even Falcon to a lesser degree.

Try finding trades for Steel, Black Lightening and Firestorm Jason Rusch..... DC dropped the ball and still won't release any Milestone trades smh
    I have seen Steel first story arc in trade form and even that movie.
    Black Lighting-his last mini series is in trade form. I want to say something else of his in trade too.
    Jason-I think all but the last arc of his series is in trade
    Cyborg-I think his is.
    Static's arc in Teen Trainwreck is and as I have said anything with him is hard to find. I have not seen the recent trade or the one from that mess of a recent series in stores
    Icon-I have seen
    Hardware-I have not
    Unknown Solider-all of his is in trade
    Arzeal-I think all of his is in trade too.
    John Stewart has never seen a trade.

The issue with black trade is does anyone actually sell them?
    I have seen Miles in Barnes & Nobles.
    Used book stores? Most of those black trades have been READ to death. Somebody did some crying when they gave those books up. If you see one in mint-someone forgot they had that book in stock and just now discovered it.

Really if you want a black trade-you have to order it online.

Or search dollar bins for the single issues. It will take time but it makes a nice collection to share with black children.
    my completed sets-
    Static
    Hardware
    Nightwatch
    Night Trasher
    War Machine Max
    Luke Cage Max
    Steel
    Black Lighting
    Jason's Firestorm
    Damage Control 2009
    Unknown Solider 2009

Cage, Deathlok, Icon, Blood Syndicate & Green Lantern Mosaic are close behind.

And should we plan something for 2-27-2013? Since that is a very important day for all fans of minority comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    it's a reasonable thing

it's okay, we love you too

but man uh all you gotta do is play it off be like "Idk what you're talking about"" then change the subject

gained tumblr followers for being drunk?
    YEP! People followed me for being drunk!

You should see what happens whenever Songbird is mentioned in a solicit. SB/DB loses it! I've never know a poster to love a character so much, yet talk about her dying more than anyone else.
    What? No mention of Diamondback?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Arzeal-I think all of his is in trade too..
    Not all in trade, unfortunately. They pulled David Hine's Killer of Saints tpb, which were the strongest issues in his run and really informed the stories collected in the next volume, which had the Bat-crossover. Those crossover issues seem to come out of nowhere if you hadn't been reading Hine's Azrael all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    b) I figured the board needed at-least one thread talking about diversity (or the lack there-of)

just in case you missed it (can't even tell if you have acknowledged that you were wrong). the bold reps the threads in the avengers section

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    um, in that post i gave one title for a 60 page thread Diversity in the avengers', and you can't dismiss threads simply because they don't start out as specific diversity threads

now, as for others just using diversity and minorities in an avenger sub forum thread search

• Do the Avengers discriminate against gays and fill quotas?
    • Are most of the black members of the Avengers merely racist stereotypes?
    • The Gay Avengers
    • Which of these minority characters should join the Mighty Avengers?
    • A black guy bites the dust.... again
    • Who Would You Put On An All Female Avengers?
    • Should Blue Marvel eventually join the Avengers?
    • Why isn't Blue Marvel an Avenger?
    • Black Avengers
    • What black hero should be represented in the Avengers movie?
    • Is the Mandarin a Racial Stereotype?
    • Is Luke Cage trying too hard to be black?
    • The Politics of Wiccan and Hulkling
    • CBR: Christos Gage Speaks Out on "Avengers Academy's" Striker Coming Out
    • did you forget your own? Does anyone else think all these teams are SERIOUSLY lacking in females?

and from your list, which one(s) were created by known shit disturbers meant to bait those that want more diversity

if damn near every mutant that graces the billion of x-books count in x-universe diversity, past/present/future, then young avengers (and wiccan moving up to full avenger status) and others count.

No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar

Good article. I understand the complaint... but... I think we need to give Whedon A LOT of slack in this regard. He's always pushed strong female characters; so he’s not oblivious to the problems out there... but you cannot "fight for all minorities" in shows (or media). Otherwise your show would be nothing but quota filling.
    Honestly, if a game developed by Bioware does a better job at racial, gender and social issues (at the very least in its representation and it never feels like like "quota filling") in three games than Joss Whedon can do with four television shows and a couple movies under his belt, there's no need to give him any kind of slack whatsoever. Simple fact of the matter is, with Firefly/Serenity, he appropriated Chinese Culture, dubbed them a superpower and then never used any major Asian characters as a reflection of that. The idea that every single Asian actor that may of auditioned (if they were allowed at all) was somehow unfit for roles like River and Simon Tam, Inara and Kaylee, but Summer Glau, whatshisname, Jewel Staite and Morena Baccarin were absolutely perfect is extremely suspect. The fact that it's Space Western/Opera doesn't so much excuse it as it does raise suspension. That would be like saying "because its a western" we can't have any major Black, Chinese or Native American characters because of social their situation in actual history when that's not impossible at all. Drawing a comparison with Spike Lee, who has his own problems when it comes to sex and representation of women in his movies, doesn't do much for the argument either.

Yeah, he did alright with the "Strong Woman" archetype, but at the same time he fell back on the laurels that created problematic back stories and subplots like the First Slayer, the death of Tara, the death of every single minority Slayer (Kendra, The First, Nikki Woods, Xin Rong) before Buffy (because of her status as the protagonist and undoubtedly her privilege as the "greatest slayer that ever lived", cannot be killed), the crap plot with Gunn (and it doesn't matter if it was "his call" as he's not the master of his own destiny. The writer is) and Inara's situation as a fancy prostitute as somehow empowering. Buffy and Angel pretty much suffer from the same problems in regards to racial diversity as Supernatural does. No one who happened to be POC remained on the show for terribly long or were killed.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    just in case you missed it (can't even tell if you have acknowledged that you were wrong). the bold reps the threads in the avengers section
    I didn't miss it, I just lack the energy to point-by-point explain to you how silly the list you posted is. "Is the Mandarin a racial stereotype"... explain to me how this has ANYTHING to do with diversity in the Avenger casts? Most of your list isn't discussing about diversity, merely mentioning characters that are diverse. If you can't tell the difference... honestly, I don't think they'd be much point discussing this further with you.

Sorry if I come across as blunt, but honestly... I gave you "X-Predictions: Next step back in racial inclusion", "Diversity in the X-men", "Lack of racial diversity in the X-books?" amongst others... you gave me: "CBR: Christos Gage Speaks Out on "Avengers Academy's" Striker Coming Out", "Who Would You Put On An All Female Avengers?" and "Is Luke Cage trying too hard to be black?" to name but a few. Can you honestly NOT tell the difference??? Can you honestly not see how your "threads" aren't discussing the same thing even remotely???
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/cloudatlas/

Trailer for the new Wachowski, this flick looks crazy. I'm talking about the first Matrix movie crazy.

I'm putting this here because I don't want to start a new thread plus Halle Berry and Keith David have major roles in this movie.
    "On working through writers block"

So I was standing in my garden at three in the morning with a glass of whisky, smoking furiously and swearing at the sky, reduced to waiting for the thunder bolt to hit when...

Warren Ellis

I didn't miss it, I just lack the energy to point-by-point explain to you how silly the list you posted is. "Is the Mandarin a racial stereotype"... explain to me how this has ANYTHING to do with diversity in the Avenger casts? Most of your list isn't discussing about diversity, merely mentioning characters that are diverse. If you can't tell the difference... honestly, I don't think they'd be much point discussing this further with you.

Sorry if I come across as blunt, but honestly... I gave you "X-Predictions: Next step back in racial inclusion", "Diversity in the X-men", "Lack of racial diversity in the X-books?" amongst others... you gave me: "CBR: Christos Gage Speaks Out on "Avengers Academy's" Striker Coming Out", "Who Would You Put On An All Female Avengers?" and "Is Luke Cage trying too hard to be black?" to name but a few. Can you honestly NOT tell the difference??? Can you honestly not see how your "threads" aren't discussing the same thing even remotely???
    excuse me, i didn't know they had to have the word diversity in it.

wait a second, you included threads that were specifically taking the piss i.e. 'X-men: Casual Racism', 'X-men brand skin whitener', 'X-Predictions: Next step back in racial inclusion'. hell, even 'Will the X-books keep and develop a strong black male?' was a joke thread until you took it serious. imagine that, the x-boards making threads to wind people up and to crack jokes. who would have thought it possible. next you'll include the few domestic violence threads making fun of the past issues

anyways...

why bother even go into the threads to see what is actually discussed, that would be too much effort

but what the hell, lets look at few

diversity in the avengers - discussing...diversity
    Do the Avengers discriminate against gays and fill quotas? - discussing ... diversity
    Which of these minority characters should join the Mighty Avengers? - discussing...diversity (title not confrontational enough?)
    A black guy bites the dust.... again - diversity and the treatment of minorities
    Black Avengers - nuff said

i know it's hard when you suffer from x-persecution complex, and apparently you can't overstand that the topic of diversity within various universes are discussed, and debated, and argued without having to have 'diversity' in the title.

I am pretty sure I distincly remember hashing out the diversity issue on the Avengers boards more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I am pretty sure I distincly remember hashing out the diversity issue on the Avengers boards more than once.
    It comes up all the time there.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

as far as the dc thread (where most of their character and teams land), the mods would either delete, lock, merge, and/or kick it down to other sub-forums (i.e. marvel, avengers, x-men, comm, yabs)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon McKinnis View Post
    It comes up all the time there.
    The Xbooks come out ahead in the sheer number of books that are out but its comes closer to a wash than you would think.

In Avengers Academy, Mettle' Pacific American, Hazmat is Asian, Reptyl is Hispanic, Striker's Gay, Julie Power's Bi and White Tiger is also Hispanic.

If they gave Young Avengers a book again you could make a case for calling it a near wash.

The one Native American character in Avengers, Echo recently got killed, but Moonstar and Warpath are still kicking.

On the other hand, there are no prominent African American males in the Xverse but the Avengers have Cage.

Shang Chi isn't an Avenger anymore but Jubilee still is (If you want to count Psylocke, that is 2 for the Xbooks.)

Bringing back an old topic, I just saw the new ads for The Watch. They're giving Richard Ayodade's character more screentime and showcasing his lines instead of ignoring him altogether. I'm guessing that test audiences found him to be the breakout character in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Bringing back an old topic, I just saw the new ads for The Watch. They're giving Richard Ayodade's character more screentime and showcasing his lines instead of ignoring him altogether. I'm guessing that test audiences found him to be the breakout character in the film.
    He did have some great lines. Also I think he had the surprise factor working for him. I mean the other stars had their best moments blared in the trailer...his stuff was ike a pleasant surprise.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"