View Poll Results: Is Superman more famous than Batman?

Voters
160. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

68 42.50%
  • No

37 23.13%
  • They're equally well known

55 34.38%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    He should have kept to his word. Superman 4 was a terrible movie.
    Thanks for the history lesson, didn't know that.
    Reeve said, initially, that he would make a cameo as Superman for Supergirl (1984), the year after Superman III, the way Ben Affleck would later cameo as Matt Murdock for Elektra. Reeve did not, however, appear in Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    I'm not a comic/superhero historian, but the impression I get is Batman's popularity is more recent. He was popular with the Adam West tv show, then waned, then he became popular again with Frank Miller and the movies,
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Batman wasn't as big of a character in the 1950's as he is now. Many people like to think that SUPERMAN and BATMAN have been of near equal stature since their debuts in the late 1930's. But prior to the Adam West TV series, Batman was in a very distant second place to Superman. In fact, during the 1940's, Batman was in a distant third place behind rivals Superman & Captain Marvel. By the 1950's, Superman was the star of a long running radio show and a long running newspaper strip. He also had appeared in several innovative theatrical cartoons in the early 40's. Batman on the other hand, had only guest started in a handful of episodes of the Superman radio show, his newspaper strip only lasted a few years and he hadn't made the jump to cartoons. In the 1950's, Batman just didn't have anywhere near Superman's name-recognition and multimedia clout.

Well, I was unable to find sales figures for BATMAN for the 50s, so let's go to the nearest thing, 1960.

In 1960, the eponymous titles sold:

BATMAN ... 502,000 (avg circulation)
    SUPERMAN 810,000 (avg circulation)

So, I guess you were correct in that Batman was just not as popular as Supes.

To bolster the effect the Batman TV show had on sales, look at 1965 (pre-TV show):

BATMAN ... 453,745
    SUPERMAN 823,829

But in 1966 (after the first season):

BATMAN ... 898,470
    SUPERMAN 719,946

Regarding the Metropolis Rogues Gallery, by and large, live action adaptations of the Kryptonian have given them short shrift. The George Reeves show used none of them.

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...allenge?page=2

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

They're both equally well known at this point. More popular? Batman. More iconic? Probably Supes.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

Interesting to note that in the 1950's, the Superman titles included:

Superman
    Action Comics
    Adventure Comics
    Superboy
    's Pal Jimmy Olsen
    World's Finest

In the early 1960's, Lois Lane received her own title.

Now, the Gotham franchise only had, as I recall, two titles of its own during the 1950's, with Star-Spangled from 1950 to 1952.
    Last edited by Enda8011; 11-22-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: more info

Under age 40 is dominated by Batman, the last 10 years his comics are always the top sellers on Amazon, bookstored.

TDKR
    Year One
    killing Joke

have sold 3 times as many books as the top 3 superman books, which other than Earth One, have never been in the top ten graphic novel sold
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    Under age 40 is dominated by Batman, the last 10 years his comics are always the top sellers on Amazon, bookstored.

TDKR
    Year One
    killing Joke

have sold 3 times as many books as the top 3 superman books, which other than Earth One, have never been in the top ten graphic novel sold
    The blurb on my Death of Superman says it's the best selling trade of all time...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

i gotta say in this day and age batman is more famous and well known due to the fact that superman's pretty much left the spotlight batman's had several cartoons movies comics and games while superman has only had 1 cartoon 1 tv series that was way too high school drama for anyone's tastes a game that's so terrible that everyone knows it by name(Superman 64) and as far as movies go the man of steel has seen less action than the caped crusader

it's been a long time since supes was a big deal in hollywood
    and it's been a long time since superman was the top dog of dc comics
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)