View Poll Results: Will you be buying the SHS Card Game when it comes out?

Voters
50. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, Iíll be picking up as much as I can!

11 22.00%
  • Yes, Iíll be buying some Intro Decks and Boosters Packs!

8 16.00%
  • Yes, but only Booster Packs to try and get the exclusive unlockable heroes.

11 22.00%
  • Maybe. Iíll give it a try/think about it/depends on my budget...

8 16.00%
  • No, Iíll stick to the online version.

3 6.00%
  • No, I donít play the SHSO Card Game.

2 4.00%
  • I wish! They wonít be selling them in my country yet!

7 14.00%
Page 166 of 308 FirstFirst ... 66116156162163164165166167168169170176216266 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,490 of 4612

Quote Originally Posted by MissPlanetaryGirl View Post
    No worries. I have yet to win a match. :)
    Tonight is your night then!
    Squad Name: Raiding Axe
    Squad Level: 1290
    Signature Heroes: All Wolverines
    CBR Team Council

Wombat Janitor, Hamster Linebacker and Dream Guard, if you all are poking around the game in the next hour and a half, I'll be online and available for our games.
    Sonic Koala
    Squad Level: 1190
    Signature Hero: Guardian

SHSO Squad Level: 1861 MissPlanetaryGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine63 View Post
    Haha, or yours!! :)
    In fearful day, in raging night. With strong hearts full, our souls ignite. When all seems lost in the War of Light, Look to the starsĖ For hope burns bright!

If I have a match still with any of you, I'm going to be on tonight from about 8:30-10:15 CST if you want to go ahead and get our matches out of the way.
    Hey, Axe! I'll try and get on around then to play ya. Just gotta get some school work done first. I'll probably be hanging out in the Daily Bugle Zone when I'm ready to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbkito View Post
    Ahhh I see now. Well I guess I better figure out how to get at least one of each starter deck... maybe two I mean my nieces' basically already have one box of boosters to themselves. (Yeah I am gonna get a box of boosters, I might get two to save shipping... I just see it as potentially wasteful... am I sick?)
    Two booster boxes isn't sick, but my advice is for you to think about what your goal is with this game...
    Do you just want to play a little bit with your nieces, or do you want to try and collect as many of the cards as you can, or are you not sure?

If it's the first or last ones, I'd advice starting with starter decks only.

If you are trying to get as many of the cards as you can, buying booster boxes is the way to go because you will save money rather than buying the packs individually (you save about 90Ę per pack - thanks Charles). And buying two boxes is fine because you may end up buying that many packs if you didn't get the boxes. Not to mention you said you'll probably give one box to your nieces. I'd advise giving your nieces starter decks to start though, that way they can play right away. Then you can even try to space out giving them packs over time, and they can slowly learn how to build their own decks.

In regards to getting Starter Decks, I'd contact the site to find out what the Starter Deck boxes contents are. I think they are usually a mixture, but it might be more than you need or intended on buying. You can also try and find a local comic shop too, because if they are carrying the cards, they will have a mixture and you can buy starter decks as you want/need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Womprat2000 View Post
    I've been trying to figure out what it is about the physical card game that's rubbed me the wrong way and I think this is it:

They've built the game so that a new player can step in with a deck for roughly $10. They've done this through the four one-player starters at $10 and the two-player starter at $20. However, with boosters priced at $4, it costs over 50% more ($16) for a player to pick up 40 blind cards and play one game.
    (...)
    I'm honestly not 100% sure what you are asking Womprat...? But what I can tell you is that how they've set the SHS Card Game's physical products is pretty similar to most other card games.

Here's how the SHS Card Game compares to Magic the Gathering:

Magic the Gathering SHS Card Game
    Booster "15" Cards, $3.99 (more like 13 cards) 10 Cards, $3.99
    9 Common, 3 Uncommon, 1 Rare /Mythic-Rare (1 in 8) 6 Common, 3 Uncommon, 1 Foil Rare /Super-Rare (1 in 8)
    foil randomly inserted (1 in 6) & can be any Rarity guaranteed 1 foil Rare/Super-Rare in every pack
    You end up with a looooot of extra Commons Less Commons means less left-overs
    Starter Deck 60-Card Deck, 15-Card Booster, $12.99 30-Card Deck, 10-Card Booster, (1) Coin, $9.99
    Foil Rare card included, card obtainable in Boosters Foil Super-Rare card included (said to be "exclusive"? Not sure if true)
    Deck typically includes 2 Rares, rest C/UC; 1/3+ Land Pre-determined deck in a theme so they are playable together
    Vs. Deck
    (2-Player)
    (2) 60-Card Decks, (2) Deck Boxes, (2) Creature Token Cards, $19.99 (2) 30-Card Decks, (2) 10-Card Boosters*, (2) Play Mats, (1) Coin, $19.99
    Pre-constructed, No Booster Packs, *Not 100% on Booster inclusion, dacardworld info isn't complete on this.
    Extras are basically cardboard extras with little value Play Mats and Coin are great extra value. If Booster packs too, pretty awesome deal

I hope that helps people to see it broken down in comparison to Magic, which is the most popular & long-running CCG out there. Keep in mind that Magic is well-established & can afford to include more cards in their boosters, but one or two of those cards are usually a less-desirable card such as a land, checklist card, or Creature Token Card. So Magic (depending on your luck/pack) really gives you 13 Cards in each pack (9 Common, 3 Uncommon, 1 Rare = 13 Cards, not "15" as advertised). You also end up with a LOT of extra Commons... I'm talking like a half-shoebox worth if you buy a Booster Box.

After doing this comparison, I'm much more convinced of the set-up of the SHS Card Game's physical form.

Although you only get 10 Cards in the Booster, they are all playable cards (6 Common, 3 Uncommon, 1 Rare). You are only really missing 3 Common cards (& 2 random extras), which in the long run is not a bad thing if you are looking to collect, as you end up with less extras. What adds value to the SHS Boosters is the guaranteed Foil Card, since every one of their Rares and Super-Rares are foiled. That means you are guaranteed 24 foiled cards when you buy a box. In contrast, from a box of 36 packs of Magic, you may get 10.

Where the SHS Card Game really sets itself apart is the Starter Decks. You may read that chart & think Magic has more in each, but keep in mind that Magic requires you to use "Land" Cards that are used to "summon" your other cards (basically has similar purpose as SHS's Coin flip & Power Level). So of that 60-Card Deck, 22-26 of which are Land cards, leaving 38-34 cards with all the fun stuff, one of which is a foil RARE card. With the SHS Starter Decks you get 30 playable cards including a foil SUPER-RARE card, which is significant. Like Magic, you get a Booster, but also get a Coin! And those added bonus for the Vs. Deck are really pretty great.

Now, I believe this gets to the crux of what you were asking, Womprat :
    The Starter Decks are a pre-determined set of cards that are meant to be played together. So for example, the Spider-Man Starter Deck will have all (or mostly) Spider-Man cards and they are constructed to be played together. Every SM Starter should have 30 cards in common with each other. Where the customization comes in is the Booster pack. So you and I may play with two Spider-Man Starter Decks, but the other 10 will be different from each other.

Starter Decks are set up so that anyone can play a game instantly. However, they are not usually used in tournaments or events, since they are so largely similar to each other. The difference in value that you are getting with the Starter and Boosters are that Starters are all pre-determined and largely made up of Commons and Uncommons, and usually a couple of certain cards that are core to a deck (see photo, which is in all likelihood from the SM Starter Deck). Although you are getting 30 cards, a max of 2 will likely be Rare or Super Rare. Boosters are guaranteed one Rare/Super-Rare and 3 Uncommons per pack, so the rarity is higher in the Boosters.

(All SM cards: 3 Sabre Rattling, 2 One-Two Punch, 2 Hanging Around, 1 Enjoy Your Trip! Note: 7 Commons, 1 Uncommon)

As far as playing a CCG at an event, the two most common formats are probably Limited or Constructed deck types.
    In Limited, you open brand-new Booster packs and you build your decks from there, and there are numerous ways this is implemented. The most common is probably where you are given 6 Packs, and build a 40-Card Deck (smaller than usual) and play with that(think of it as a "draft"). These kind of formats are the more "blind" play style as you called it.
    Constructed is for more serious players and collectors who bring their own decks that they have built from their collection and are full-size (60-card). These kind of formats are more like what we are doing in the Card League, each with our own decks, determined by our tastes, collection, and imagination.

For comparison, this link describes the other ways Magic is played, and may answer your question a little better than I may have...?
    Last edited by daredeville; 03-26-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: photo
    Current Top Comics: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Fables, Fatale, Winter Soldier, Young Avengers, The Massive, Revival, Thor: GoT

SHSO CARD GAME THREAD

Storm Builder defeats Hamster Linebacker 2-0 (Week 5)

Ok well I should think about the cards more, I really want to get the starter packs but don't know where I can get them.

Me and my Mom (and maybe Dad but doubtful) will be babysitting my nieces and nephews for two weeks right around when the card game comes out... but say I order two-boxes to get free UPS ground shipping, well by the time I got them (probably a week later) we will be done watching them and hoepfully planning our Avengers Movie time.

So really I wanna get those starter decks ASAP. But so far have no idea how or where I will get those... maybe Amazon will have some pre-orders. Ideally a local store would be best but I am 90% sure I will have to make a trip and special arrangements to get into a store with these... does Hobby Lobby have stuff like this? That might be my one local option. But from website looks like its more for scrap-booking.

Nicely played, Hamster Linebacker! You had all the answers in that last game. That was a really interesting deck. Thanks for the games!

And I'll edit this in since he hasn't posted it yet: Hamster Linebacker defeats Sonic Koala 2-1
    Last edited by Bronn1; 03-26-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    Sonic Koala
    Squad Level: 1190
    Signature Hero: Guardian

Jessica Drew The Tyrannical Mason's Avatar

Default Mason 2-0 Mr. Puffin Rabbit

Mason over DD 2-0!

Beware all future opponents! The Kiss of the Spiderwoman stings!

Quote Originally Posted by The Tyrannical Mason View Post
    If everyone can when they get a chance, to help DD out let's post our history of our records.
    Here's mine - week 5 match vs Wombat Janitor is pending

Week-Match Results-Record-Power Ranking

1-Fighting Raven 2-1 Masked Traveler Seamstress 1-0 P 2-1
    1-Fighting Raven 2-1 Grand Poisonus Catcher 2-0 P 4-2

2-Fighting Raven 1-2 Sonic Koala 2-1 P 5-4
    2-Fighting Raven 2-0 Champion Urban Guard 3-1 P 7-4

3-Fighting Raven 1-2 Brain Yak 3-2 P 8-6
    3-Fighting Raven 1-2 Shocking Techno Girl 3-3 P 9-8

4-Fighting Raven 2-0 Raiding Axe 4-3 P 11-8
    4-Fighting Raven 2-1 Colossus Alchemist 5-3 P 13-9

5-Fighting Raven 2-1 The Tyrannical Mason 6-3 P 15-10

6-Fighting Raven 2-1 Archer Roamer 7-3 P 17-11
    6-Fighting Raven 1-2 Silver Torch 7-4 P 18-12

7-Fighting Raven 2-0 Storm Builder 8-4 P 20-12
    SHSO Squad name: Fighting Raven
    Squad Level: 2800+

Quote Originally Posted by The Tyrannical Mason View Post
    Mason over DD 2-0!

Beware all future opponents! The Kiss of the Spiderwoman stings!
    He was distracted watchin' a movie! yeah...
    SHSO name:Astral Zephyr (Yes, THAT guy)
    Signature hero:Nova
    Squad Rank:1340+

Champion Urban Guard spidavenger's Avatar

Default Cug's card matches

Week-Match Results-Record-Power Rankings

1-Champion Urban Guard 2-1 Brain Yak 1-0 P 2-1
    1-Champion Urban Guard 0-2 Masked Traveler Seamstress 1-1 P 2-3

2-Champion Urban Guard 0-2 Shocking Techno Girl 1-2 P 2-5
    2-Champion Urban Guard 0-2 Fighting Raven 1-3 P 2-7

3-Champion Urban Guard 0-2 Colossus Alchemist 1-4 P 2-9
    3-Champion Urban Guard 0-2 Grand Poisonous Catcher 1-5 P 2-11

4-Champion Urban Guard 2-0 The Tyrannical Mason 2-5 P 4-11
    4-Champion Urban Guard 1-2 Sonic Koala 2-6 P 5-13

5-Champion Urban Guard 2-1 Raiding Axe 3-6 P 7-14
    5-Champion Urban Guard pending Dream Guard 3-6 P 7-14

6-Champion Urban Guard 0-2 Wombat Junior 3-7 P 7-16
    6-Champion Urban Guard pending Princess Puffin 3-7 P 7-16

7-Champion Urban Guard 0-2 Astral Scythe Gecko 3-8 P 7-18
    7- Champion Urban Guard next opponent Puffin Rabbit

Here you go, sorry so late!
    Former CBR Team President, now just a regular GI JOE!
    Squad Name: Champion Urban Guard AKA CUG
    Squad Level: 1310
    Signature Hero: Silver Surfer

Wombat Janitor's matches and results:

Make up matches
    1: Storm Builder 2-0 over Wombat Janitor
    2 & 3: Yet to be played

Week 2
    1: Silver Torch 2-1 over Wombat Janitor
    2: See make up matches

Week 3
    1: Mr. Puffin Rabbit 2-0 over Wombat Janitor
    2: Match vs Princess Puffin yet to be played

Week 4
    1: Wombat Janitor 2-1 over Archer Roamer
    2: Wombat Janitor 2-0 over Miss Planetary Girl

Week 5
    1: Wombat Janitor 2-0 over Dream Guard
    2: Match vs Fighting Raven yet to be played

Week 6
    1: Wombat Janitor 2-0 over Champion Urban Guard
    2: Wombat Janitor 2-0 over Raiding Axe

Week 7
    1: Shocking Techno Girl 2-1 over Wombat Janitor
    2: Match vs Sonic Koala yet to be played
    Last edited by Zil; 03-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    SN: Wombat Janitor

Thanks for the response Daredeville. I think that answered all of my questions. The side-by-side comparison really helped. The two games do look more similar than they originally seemed.

When looking at the setup at first, I used the starter sets' cost to determine the value of a deck in each game. Because of the difference between the SHS and Magic starters it seemed like building a SHS deck through boosters was roughly $3 more expensive than the Magic equivalent.

I didn't realize that Magic boosters didn't contain 15 "playable" cards. That throws all of my original numbers out of whack.
    Squad Name: Hamster Linebacker
    My fan art:http://superherosquadonline.wikispac...ter+Linebacker
    In progress icons: Mr Sinister, Crimson Dynamo, Beta Ray Bill, Silver Samurai

Hamster Linebacker defeated Sonic Koala 2-1 (Week 7)

Great games Sonic! That first game was crazy. I've never seen so many heals land in one game. It was relentless!

I got lucky on that last game. The deck was a heavy with duos, and very light on damage, and I didn't think it was going to work at all. In fact, it would have failed miserably had I not kept pulling the right block every draw...
    Squad Name: Hamster Linebacker
    My fan art:http://superherosquadonline.wikispac...ter+Linebacker
    In progress icons: Mr Sinister, Crimson Dynamo, Beta Ray Bill, Silver Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbkito View Post
    (...)
    So really I wanna get those starter decks ASAP. But so far have no idea how or where I will get those... maybe Amazon will have some pre-orders. Ideally a local store would be best but I am 90% sure I will have to make a trip and special arrangements to get into a store with these... does Hobby Lobby have stuff like this? That might be my one local option. But from website looks like its more for scrap-booking.
    What state are you in, Storm...? I might be able to direct you to some options. I think the best options are comic book shops, generally. I'd do a search for shops in the area if you don't already have one. Give them a call, and ask if they plan on getting the cards in, then you can see if it's worth the trip for you. I'm sure some other kinds of online stores will offer the cards as well, just a matter of waiting for them to be listed. I'll keep my eyes open for other sites and locations too.

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    Here's mine - week 5 match vs Wombat Janitor is pending
    (...)
    Thanks to those who have done this so far, it's a big help as I move things to the wiki and take over primary score-keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronn1 View Post
    Nicely played, Hamster Linebacker! You had all the answers in that last game. That was a really interesting deck. Thanks for the games!

And I'll edit this in since he hasn't posted it yet: Hamster Linebacker defeats Sonic Koala 2-1
    Remember guys, as per rules you should be posting your own wins... (see Mason's above...! :P)

Oh, and well done Hamster!! (Sorry, Koala.. I tend to root against you.. it's just because you're a veteran. I always, always root for the underdog!)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnys65 View Post
    He was distracted watchin' a movie! yeah...:biggrin:
    Almost true! I was watching the two-hour season finale of Alcatraz!! Hoo boy, there was some twisty bits in there. I advise you all to watch it. It's a J.J. Abrams show (Lost, Fringe, Alias, Felicity...) and is good fun starring this great spunky actress Sarah Jones, Jorge Garcia (Hurley of Lost), Parminder Nagra (Dr. Neela from ER), and most importantly... one of my favorite dudes, having grown up in the 90's... a hero the size of Indiana Jones and Marty McFly in my eyes... DR. ALAN GRANT!! That's right, Sam Neill himself! But yeah awesome show that blends police procedural with some sci-fi mystery elements. Basically a bunch of criminals from Alcatraz in the 1960's are in present day San Francisco causing trouble... but the why's and who's of it all are a great deal of the mystery. It starts off a little quietly, but picks up as it goes along. It gets the Daredeville stamp of approval!! If you want to check it out, they have some episodes streaming here! //Plug ended.
    Yeah, and someone plays cards in one episode, I think... uh... yeah... ;)

Yeah, so THAT'S why I lost to Mason!!

No, of course not. She is one of the best players I've ever faced, and the matches are often some of the most fun and dynamic I ever get to play. So congrats to the mighty Spider-Woman!!

Quote Originally Posted by Womprat2000 View Post
    Thanks for the response Daredeville. I think that answered all of my questions. The side-by-side comparison really helped. The two games do look more similar than they originally seemed.

When looking at the setup at first, I used the starter sets' cost to determine the value of a deck in each game. Because of the difference between the SHS and Magic starters it seemed like building a SHS deck through boosters was roughly $3 more expensive than the Magic equivalent.

I didn't realize that Magic boosters didn't contain 15 "playable" cards. That throws all of my original numbers out of whack.
    Anytime buddy. I'm glad that helped.

And actually it helped me a lot too! I was a little grumpy about the number of cards/price point, but doing that allowed me to step back and realize why they were priced and distributed the way they were, and found myself much happier about it...

And I should say that of those 15 cards, they aren't not all playable -- they do contribute some facet of the game, but they aren't "regular" cards per se. Those last two are usually one of three things: a land, a creature token, and in the current sets a checklist for double-faced cards.
    However, when you DO get a foil card, they usually replace one of those three. And those are the best packs to open because you get the 13 "regular" cards the foil card, which is a 14th playable card, and well.. at that point it doesn't matter what the 15th is cuz you are happy ha ha.

So the short answer is that those last two cards ARE playable, but they are more like a "support" card, something that is really common and relatively easy to get. And that's only necessary because of how that game is built which is quite different than SHS's system.

Basically, Magic works by having several cards on the play field at once.
    You have to have this (A) card (a Mountain land card) out on your side in order to play a this (B) one with the vampire (what I'm calling a "regular" play card).
    The land cards are a necessity to play Magic at all, but they aren't what you are buying a Booster pack for.

(A)(B)

Here's a link to the Magic site where you can see what some of the Intro Decks look like. You'll see that they tell you every card that is in each Intro Deck, because that's what you are paying for -- a pre-constructed deck with a certain kind of play style for you to get into the game. So for us, SHS offers a Spidey deck (low cards, lotsa combos), a Hulk Deck (triggered Keepers, healing, and some big damage), a Wolverine deck (Healing, combos, X-Men ties), and an Iron Man deck (lotsa assaulting Keepers and Power-Pumping cards). Magic's Intro Decks offer the same kind of diversity in play styles.

Here's one of their Intro Decks. The card you see in front is the Rare foil card, and the vampire one above is the other Rare in that pack. SHS by contrast offers a foil SUPER-RARE... which is pretty dang awesome, whether they are obtainable through Boosters or not... because either way, they'd otherwise be really hard to come by.

In case you are wondering, this one above is the Intro Deck I got: Swift Justice, with the lovely angel card, is a quick-fire damage-dealer featuring angels and vampires.
    And the other one I got is Endless Dead which has a mean ol' scientist necromancer dude that summons lotsa zombies! That's a really fun deck because that grumpy ol' Gus allows you to build a HUGE zombie army that if not stopped will take over the table! *braaaaiiinsss....*
    Current Top Comics: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Fables, Fatale, Winter Soldier, Young Avengers, The Massive, Revival, Thor: GoT

SHSO CARD GAME THREAD

SHSO Squad Level: 1861 MissPlanetaryGirl's Avatar

Sorry, I guess I didn't make it in time.

Can someone tell me why I always (okay fine... usually... often...fine fine... lots of times..ish) win in my card matches when the match is not for the league? Haha, where is my luck when it actually counts?

Also I should post this here too: Sidenote: For anyone who has a card match with me, I'm going to try and keep a weekly availability schedule in the link in my signature. My hours change a lot from week to week so I figure this is the best way. I'll do my best to keep it as accurate and updated as I can. Sadly this week is one of my work-filled weeks, but other weeks I will be available more often. If you have any problems with the link, let me know.
    And also feel free to message me about a time not listed in the available hours. Chances are I won't be available, but it doesn't hurt to double check!
    In fearful day, in raging night. With strong hearts full, our souls ignite. When all seems lost in the War of Light, Look to the starsĖ For hope burns bright!