Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Happy Veteran's Day!

Thanks to all of CBR's veterans who've served their country. Your service is appreciated and you are remembered.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Ace View Post
    Thanks to all of CBR's veterans who've served their country. Your service is appreciated and you are remembered.
    Thank you for your service.

You are quite welcome. Now I am going to eat my free meal at Applebees. I had a free lunch at the Texas Roadhouse

Please also remember they folks still in the sand-box
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    You are quite welcome. Now I am going to eat my free meal at Applebees. I had a free lunch at the Texas Roadhouse

I'm serving dinner to the vets at the shelter tonight, but all day I've been sending them out to all kinds of places offering free meals. Shame that they'll be hungry again tomorrow.

Thanks, Grandpa.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

BANNED

I'm serving dinner to the vets at the shelter tonight, but all day I've been sending them out to all kinds of places offering free meals. Shame that they'll be hungry again tomorrow.
    Yea it's really sad to see homeless vets.

BANNED

Out of curiosity did you go in your uniform? Or show them a license that has veteran marked? How does that work? Unfortantly I could see people randomly asking .

There's an interview with Garth Ennis at this very site where he talks about why he keeps coming back to war stories and ex-forces characters:

the stories I've run across in my research, the personal accounts of people who've gone to war -- out on what I always think must be the most extreme edge of human behavior -- are simply stupendous. You really can't make this stuff up.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    Out of curiosity did you go in your uniform? Or show them a license that has veteran marked? How does that work? Unfortantly I could see people randomly asking .
    My retired ID works well and that is what I used, A DD214 works well, and at some of them a picture of yourself in uniform will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    There's an interview with Garth Ennis at this very site where he talks about why he keeps coming back to war stories and ex-forces characters:
    Ennis is only approximately matched by Tucci in writing soldiers stories that are accurate enough to be respectful

War Stories, Nightingale was the best Comic I have ever read and is a tribute to those that served and died

Fun fact: in Canada it's "Rememberance Day". Ok, maybe not very fun.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

BANNED

I felt too much of a mooch to take advantage of Applebee's generosity. Would have gone if my girlfriend had the day off so at least we could buy something.

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Same here, except it's tomorrow, and yesterday's Armistice day is observed too.

To echo Michael P, thanks Grandad and Grandfather I never knew, and thanks great Uncles, and great, great Uncles.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    We do that on a different holiday, Memorial day. Veterans day is a day to show appreciation to those that have served, not to morn the one who paid the highest price.

It started after our most painful war, the Civil war and was a fixed custom by the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918, I can see how comparing remembrance day and Veterans day's purposes could cause puzzlement.

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

We do that on a different holiday, Memorial day. Veterans day is a day to show appreciation to those that have served, not to morn the one who paid the highest price.

It started after our most painful war, the Civil war and was a fixed custom by the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918, I can see how comparing remembrance day and Veterans day's purposes could cause puzzlement.

Mainly because the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month is originally Armistice day. Which this year was also 11/11/11, which works for both kinds of dating :).
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'