Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Uncle Scrooge & Donald Duck

Yes, yes, I know we have dozens of other threads lying in our forums' back pages on the subject of Duck comics, but they all seem to have a particular focus, and I think it befitting to have a general discussion thread on the subject in honor of the release of Fantagraphics' very first volume in a proposed 30-book set of all of Carl Barks Duck comics!

Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes in now avaliable at Fanta's site and it's only a matter of time before it's available everywhere!

http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.p...tml&Itemid=113

Fanta's next volume will be Uncle Scrooge: Only a Poor Old Man, the first volume of Bark's Scrooge stories, to be published in roughly 6-months time. You can see a little preview of this collection in this pdf of Fanta's 2012 catalog (page 32):

http://www.fantagraphics.com/images/...2012-lores.pdf

Thirdly: I'm a new fan in the world of Ducks. My introduction was the incredible graphic novel The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa. Now that Boom! Studios has lost the Disney license the 3 Life and Times volumes are gonna go out of print. If you're interested in them and don't have them I'd recommend snatchin' them up before sellers gouge-up the prices!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilas-Man View Post

Thirdly: I'm a new fan in the world of Ducks. My introduction was the incredible graphic novel The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa. Now that Boom! Studios has lost the Disney license the 3 Life and Times volumes are gonna go out of print. If you're interested in them and don't have them I'd recommend snatchin' them up before sellers gouge-up the prices!
    Also, Boom! did 2 volumes of Don Rosa stories, a volume of the first issues of Disney comics from Four Color and a volume of early Walt Disney Comics & Stories. As who knows if/when someone will continue those, be sure to get them as well.

Sigh. Yet another chance for an archive series of some kind collecting all of Rosa's Duck stories here in the US is gone...

^Yeah, I got their 2 Rosa Donald Duck collections. One more volume and they would have collected all of his Donald stories (and perhaps continued on to his more numerous Scrooge tales after that).

I really hope we get a complete Rosa set in the future. Perhaps if Fanta's Barks volumes do well?

That will be my first Carl Barks collection. Been interested in his work for years. Look forward to buying that and reading it. Hope they keep 'em coming.
    David Bowie fan

I have this on order; looking forward to it.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Don Ault, who wrote the introduction to this book, is my former advisor. He's one of the smartest people I've ever known.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Its in stock now on amazon.com. My copy should be shipping tommorow.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

This looks really nice. Then again I already own the Barks Library books from Gladstone. Sadly I didn't follow to the end, so some books I might snatch up.

Does anybody know what is the reason for not publishing stories in order, but rather arbitrary?

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    This looks really nice. Then again I already own the Barks Library books from Gladstone. Sadly I didn't follow to the end, so some books I might snatch up.

Does anybody know what is the reason for not publishing stories in order, but rather arbitrary?
    They wanted to start with the longer adventure stories rather than having six volumes of ten-page shorts to begin the series. Which makes a lot of sense.

... and also to start the series with Barks at his peak.
    Boycott Marvel. Make Mine Kirby.

Default I just got mine yesterday!!

I was very excited to see an Amazon box outside my house yesterday. I unwrapped it, and lo and behold, it was Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes! It has no dust wrapper for the kids to damage, and it feels pretty darned near invulnerable in my hands. It was thick and sturdy, not thin and scrawny like I'd been afraid of. It has a carefully-designed spine that will look fabulous on a bookshelf.

There was no numbering evident, though I didn't look at it for long. Maybe the numbering will be kind of assumed or implicit. I can respect that decision from a marketing standpoint.

I looked at a page side-by-side with an old newsprint issue of Barks. The size of the artwork was absolutely identical, to the millimeter. In terms of quality, though, there is simply no comparison. The newsprint has yellowed over the years, while these pages have a dashingly dark black and a crisp, permanent-looking white. The lines are crisp, no blurring anywhere-unlike the softcover "archive" of WDC&S 1-2 that Boom! Kids put out, which had a mediocre black and frequent blurring.

The introductory essay was informative (though I caught a grammatical error in Ault's introduction, which was an unpleasant surprise), and the commentaries in the end looked genuinely helpful, from what I sampled.

My copy tended to open to a particular place near-but-not-at the center, so I hope there's no overall binding issue. The pages are sewn, a nice touch. Time will tell.

In short, the book looks and feels like a Marvel Masterworks volume, priced at a $20 discount. Highest possible recommendation.
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 11-15-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: too many parentheses

Thanks for the detailed descriptions, Bear. The other reviews I've seen haven't said much about the book's physical qualities, so it's nice to hear that it's as nice as it looks in the picture. I'm definitely going to have to pick this up!

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    I was very excited to see an Amazon box outside my house yesterday. I unwrapped it, and lo and behold, it was Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes! It has no dust wrapper for the kids to damage, and it feels pretty darned near invulnerable in my hands. It was thick and sturdy, not thin and scrawny like I'd been afraid of. It has a carefully-designed spine that will look fabulous on a bookshelf.

There was no numbering evident, though I didn't look at it for long. Maybe the numbering will be kind of assumed or implicit. I can respect that decision from a marketing standpoint.

I looked at a page side-by-side with an old newsprint issue of Barks. The size of the artwork was absolutely identical, to the millimeter. In terms of quality, though, there is simply no comparison. The newsprint has yellowed over the years, while these pages have a dashingly dark black and a crisp, permanent-looking white. The lines are crisp, no blurring anywhere-unlike the softcover "archive" of WDC&S 1-2 that Boom! Kids put out, which had a mediocre black and frequent blurring.

The introductory essay was informative (though I caught a grammatical error in Ault's introduction, which was an unpleasant surprise), and the commentaries in the end looked genuinely helpful, from what I sampled.

My copy tended to open to a particular place near-but-not-at the center, so I hope there's no overall binding issue. The pages are sewn, a nice touch. Time will tell.

In short, the book looks and feels like a Marvel Masterworks volume, priced at a $20 discount. Highest possible recommendation.
    I'm guessing my comic shop will have mine tomorrow. As far as your description of the physical package is concerned, I would say pretty much the same thing for the two Gottfredson volumes I have. Good stuff, though I know you passed these up.
    Jim Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    I'm guessing my comic shop will have mine tomorrow. As far as your description of the physical package is concerned, I would say pretty much the same thing for the two Gottfredson volumes I have. Good stuff, though I know you passed these up.
    Sigh. Maybe I'll give them another look. I'll have to look at the size of the panels next to one of the Gladstone comics to see if I was mistaken.

Well, again, I think they're the size they were originally printed in the newspapers. Which may well be smaller than the panels in the comic books. The comic strips tended to have pretty full balloons sometimes.

On another note, my comic shop did NOT have my Barks volume today. Nor is it on next week's ship list. Not sure what's up here.
    Jim Zimmerman