Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Silvani & Sparrow Reflect on "Darkwing Duck"

Series Artist James Silvani and former editor Aaron Sparrow spoke with CBR News, reflecting on the beginning and end of the BOOM! Studios-published "Darkwing Duck" comic.

Full article here.

YAY for Darkwing Duck and the Disney Afternoon!!!

Totally under-exploited series, Disney never truly realized the gold mine they were sitting on, ever since they totally dropped the ball on them mid-90's. They were and still are the most popular TV animated series Disney has ever created. The big success of these comic series proved how wrong they are, and we can cross fingers they won't stop at that!

I'm really hoping Marvel will pick up Darkwing Duck, AND bring TaleSpin into comics too this time!
    (errm, would some of you care to sign our petition for that please? more than 1200 signatures so far! http://www.animationsource.org/tales...ion/&id_film=9)
    Last edited by steet; 11-10-2011 at 01:06 PM.

This really was a great series and as a fan of the old Darkwing Duck show, growing up in the 90s, I am sorry to see it go.

Here's hoping that the Disney and Marvel deal will try to continue this series in a new way. Because they don't make cartoons like these anymore in this day and age.

So, did this series end because the Disney License(s) expire(d)?

Really sad that this week's Darkwing Duck is the last. Boom! Studios did a tremendous job in handling the Disney/Pixar license, creating some great series for The Muppets, Darkwing Duck and The Incredibles. I really don't have any faith in "The House of Ideas" to continue these with the same care of quality that Boom! did outside of reprinting all of Boom!'s work.
    The Loxleys and the War of 1812 (Alan Grant, Claude St. Aubin and Lovern Kindzierski) from Renegade Arts Entertainment
    www.facebook.com/LoxleysandtheWarof1812
    www.twitter.com/RenegadeArtsEnt

Quote Originally Posted by Gianluca View Post
    Really sad that this week's Darkwing Duck is the last. Boom! Studios did a tremendous job in handling the Disney/Pixar license, creating some great series for The Muppets, Darkwing Duck and The Incredibles. I really don't have any faith in "The House of Ideas" to continue these with the same care of quality that Boom! did outside of reprinting all of Boom!'s work.
    Actually, you would be surprised if you knew the truth...According to Aaron Sparrow, Boom! did not believe in this project, and almost canned it; if it wasn't for him pushing Boom! again and again, it wouldn't have happened. On the other hand, Disney helped a lot, they were extremely supportive of this project.

After it became clearly a success, something happened at Boom! and Aaron left. (just before the end of the first arc) Ian Brill took the credit for the writing/plotting, but he actually used all the ideas that Aaron wrote, but Aaron was left uncredited. For the whole duration of this book, Silvani rewrote most of the following arcs, but he wasn't credited either. If it wasn't for Silvani rewriting most of Ian Brill's writing, the book would have been rubbish as Boom! and Ian Brill weren't fans like Aaron and Silvani, and did not care for the characters outside of doing money. You really don't want to see the ideas Ian Brill had...*shudders*

Boom! was supposed to have the licence until mid 2012, but according to Aaron, it's possible that Disney ended the contract before they had the time to do too much damage.

People keep seeing Disney as the "bad guys" here, but it's actually all the opposite...And if you don't believe me, check all the messages that Aaron has posted on "The Old Haunt Darkwing Duck forum"

I HAVE faith for Disney and/or Marvel to do a MUCH better job at handling this book, as long as the RIGHT people work on it!

---

Since we're talking about Disney Afternoon and comics, some of us fans are doing a TaleSpin mini-comic! If you want to see it, it's right here!

Last edited by steet; 11-11-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Darkwing wasn't available in the UK, like the rest of Boom's Disney line, so, uh, Marvel, if you could get on with printing DW in some of those nifty six-buck four-issue magazine compliations you've been doing for the Muppets, that'd just be aces.

Steet,

Saying Ian Brill is not a Darkwing Duck fan is the height of ridiculousness.

Aaron's been pretty forthright about being an embittered former employee of BOOM! Studios. Go read his Twitter or Facebook feeds. I find it extremely odd that you and all the folks at Negaverse believe this INCREDIBLE scenario that someone could be not employed by BOOM! for a year and a half, but somehow keep pulling the strings on an ongoing series.

In any case, Chris Burns edited Darkwing Duck from issue #2 until the end. Here are some of his tweets from last week:

@fivestacks

I really feel some kind of way about the new CBR article on Darkwing Duck. It's disappointing, but what can you do? @ibrill deserves more.

I haven't said a word since I left, but how hard is it to just tell the truth?

In any case congrats to @ibrill @SilvaniArt @andworlddesign @huevile @adalhouse for a great series. Don't taint it any further please.

Love all you guys, but we're all better than this. We were all a team once. You don't have to stand on others to elevate. #leaveitonthepage

I look forward to the day that Aaron, who's actually a very talented guy, stops his campaign against Ian and moves on to truly write something himself. I think he certainly has it in him to do so... I'd like to see him prove it.

Best,

Chip Mosher
    Formerly of BOOM! Studios
    "who saw Ian every morning at 8am working his tail off getting his scripts in on time."
    Last edited by moshdaddy; 11-14-2011 at 11:44 AM.

I loved "Darkwing Duck" right until the brilliant Duckthulhu arc was finished. After that I felt like the series was falling apart and dragging it into a crossover with the embarrasing dreck "DuckTales" was didn't help either (at least Boom! had the decency to substitute the horrible copy+paste page from issue #3 with a re-drawn page for the trade).

But up until after the Duckthulhu arc the series was gold. And especially Silvani made it a treat every issue because he put so many cameos of various other Disney properties in the background that it was a nice game to catch most of them.

But what I hated the most was that Boom! was too cheap to aquire an international license (just like IDW is too cheap to aquire one for TMNT and Ghostbusters) and it was quite an effort to get all the issues.
    Klatuu... barada *cough* *cough*

|| [comiccover.de] || [marvelarchiv.de] || [comicshop.de] ||

"You can make me bleed
    You can make me cry
    You can make me fall
    You can make me live or die
    And I wonder how
    And you wonder why
    "
    www.tristania.com

Will this whole series be collected in trades since Marvel has the license now? I know a few trades are already out, but are more to be released?

Saying that a company was "too cheap" to acquire an international license is assuming quite a bit. If you think for one minute IDW and BOOM! don't want to sell their licensed comics to all territories.... Most times their are other forces at work behind the scenes that companies are not allowed to address publicly or just don't work out for one reason or another.

FWIW, when I left BOOM! the plan was to collect all of Darkwing Duck into trades... I don't think that has changed.

Chip

Quote Originally Posted by moshdaddy View Post
    Saying that a company was "too cheap" to acquire an international license is assuming quite a bit. If you think for one minute IDW and BOOM! don't want to sell their licensed comics to all territories.... Most times their are other forces at work behind the scenes that companies are not allowed to address publicly or just don't work out for one reason or another.
    In the case of IDW it's because Titan is complaining (same with Star Wars) but I'm really angry that because of some publisher in the UK all of Europe is "punished". Especially since there is NO way for local publishers to pick up that stuff themselves.

As for Boom and Disney - getting stuff from Gladstone was no problem, getting stuff from Gemstone was no problem and getting stuff from SLG was no problem either. Only getting Boom! stuff was a hassle.

FWIW, when I left BOOM! the plan was to collect all of Darkwing Duck into trades... I don't think that has changed.
    It hasn't - so far 4 tradepaperbacks have been released (collecting issues #1-16 and the annual). A 5th tradepaperback collecting the crossover (issues #17-18, DT #5-6) is also solicited but due to Boom! losing the license it will only have a limited print run (depending on pre-orders).
    Klatuu... barada *cough* *cough*

|| [comiccover.de] || [marvelarchiv.de] || [comicshop.de] ||

"You can make me bleed
    You can make me cry
    You can make me fall
    You can make me live or die
    And I wonder how
    And you wonder why
    "
    www.tristania.com

I believe Boom could sell internationally through their website.

Just because other licensors easily sold stuff overseas doesn't mean they had the license to do so! :)

Quote Originally Posted by moshdaddy View Post
    Steet,

Saying Ian Brill is not a Darkwing Duck fan is the height of ridiculousness.

Aaron's been pretty forthright about being an embittered former employee of BOOM! Studios. Go read his Twitter or Facebook feeds. I find it extremely odd that you and all the folks at Negaverse believe this INCREDIBLE scenario that someone could be not employed by BOOM! for a year and a half, but somehow keep pulling the strings on an ongoing series.

In any case, Chris Burns edited Darkwing Duck from issue #2 until the end. Here are some of his tweets from last week:

@fivestacks

I really feel some kind of way about the new CBR article on Darkwing Duck. It's disappointing, but what can you do? @ibrill deserves more.

I haven't said a word since I left, but how hard is it to just tell the truth?

In any case congrats to @ibrill @SilvaniArt @andworlddesign @huevile @adalhouse for a great series. Don't taint it any further please.

Love all you guys, but we're all better than this. We were all a team once. You don't have to stand on others to elevate. #leaveitonthepage

I look forward to the day that Aaron, who's actually a very talented guy, stops his campaign against Ian and moves on to truly write something himself. I think he certainly has it in him to do so... I'd like to see him prove it.

Best,

Chip Mosher
    Formerly of BOOM! Studios
    "who saw Ian every morning at 8am working his tail off getting his scripts in on time."
    Sorry about that. It's very difficult to know the truth on this.

If you check my messages on the Old Haunt, you'll notice I'm trying to get neutral, especially because I think Ian did a very good job on the Rescue Rangers comics, which I like much better than the actual series. But you've got to admit that some of his ideas for Darkwing Duck did not fit.

It's also a shame that those trouble happened and most people who worked on this (including you) have left Boom! now.

The only thing I wish for is that another publisher will take on this and do awesome new Disney Afternoon comics, because as proven, there are a LOT of fans who want more!!

Steet,

Thanks for your response!

I was at BOOM! Studios for over 4 years and had a great time working their everyday. It was a hard decision for me to leave, but an opportunity presented itself and I could not pass it up.

That said, one of my bigger frustrations at BOOM! was not being able to tackle Aaron's misinformation head on. Contractually there were things going on behind the scenes that hurt my/our ability to reach out to the fans in the manner I most wanted too... and also with Aaron basically keeping his tall tale localized at Negaverse it was easy to just ignore. Unfortunately, a year and half later after he and BOOM! parted ways, he's still at it and his lies have seeped onto CBR... so I thought it was high time I broke my silence on the matter.

Unfortunately for the Darkwing Duck fans, Aaron certainly was privy to some insider information on BOOM!'s dealings... which in turn gave the impression to the fans that his claims of credit had the air of validity. Again, if you really look at what he is claiming - that he influenced the series for a full year and a half after he left - it's pretty unbelievable. It makes for a great forum posts, and certainly he likes to cast himself as the hero fighting the good fight against the forces of evil... but his tenure at BOOM! was far from what he has portrayed.

Again, the energy that he has put in taking credit for other's hard work would have been better spent actually trying to create something new...

Best,

Chip