View Poll Results: What do you think of the Thinner Marvel covers?

Voters
10. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • I hate the thinner covers! i want the old format back!

5 50.00%
  • eh, no big deal!

1 10.00%
  • im not sure ive noticed

4 40.00%
Page 1 of 141 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Marvel Business Practices Discussion

There has been a lot of discussion recently about Marvel's current business model and practices, from page counts to pricing to writing for trades, decompression, cancellation of mid-level titles, number of titles featuring the same characters or teams, etc etc. To help streamline things I am starting this thread so our valued CBR posters and Marvel fans can voice their opinions on the current state of Marvel Comics. Please remember to respect other opinions and follow the rules of this forum. This is not a battle ground nor a place to bash Marvel or it's employees. Perhaps through cordial conversation we can find understanding and answers to some of the questions that have been raised.

BANNED

In respect to the "double shipping" procedure, I've got no problem with it just in terms of getting the product out to customers. Some people like the fact that they can pick up their favorite book more than once a month. I certainly wouldn't mind getting Invincible on a far more regular basis and not having to wait 30 plus days to get the next installment.

However, if this is just a tactic used to "prove" market dominence, then I disagree with it and feel there are bette ways to improve one's standing in the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    There has been a lot of discussion recently about Marvel's current business model and practices, from page counts to pricing to writing for trades, decompression, cancellation of mid-level titles, number of titles featuring the same characters or teams, etc etc. To help streamline things I am starting this thread so our valued CBR posters and Marvel fans can voice their opinions on the current state of MarvelComics. Please remember to respect other opinions and follow the rules of this forum. This is not a battle ground nor a place to bash Marvel or it's employees. Perhaps through cordial conversation we can find understanding and answers to some of the questions that have been raised.
    Cool idea, but what about the rest of the posters who repeatedly post on this subject? can they post too?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Four of the six "main Marvel Universe" titles double-shipping in January are $3.
    Most of Marvel's most popular books are $4, with the exception of the licensed properties ... and the Ultimate Universe.

In November, 7 of 16 double shipped titles are $3.99. Actually more $4 books than that, depending on if you count the Avenger books as one (or two Cap books a month), or if you count the Fear Itself Point issues and the weekly shipping of Avengers Origins.

I personally find 16 issues double shipped to be a bit extreme. Of course, not as extreme as 52 #1 issues. :)

If we're still on the topic of double-shipping I like it. It's less of a wait for the stories I want to read. If I didn't think a book wasn't worth it I wouldn't buy it. I'm pretty sure most people who are actually enjoying the books Marvel is putting out feel the same way.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Cool idea, but what about the rest of the posters who repeatedly post on this subject?
    I imagine we'll be hearing from them. Hopefully we will welcome many different voices to this discussion as well. We all have our opinions and values. Some people are happy with certain things while others are not. That is understandable. Here we have a place to talk about them all.

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

double shipping is a evil thing marvel does to steal your money? who knew

i thought it was just called increasing supply to meet demand.... or providing a product your customers like, which is proven by sales.

i think some of you people post from occupy rallies.. am i missing the brown shirted marvel thugs stationed in LCBS forcing people to buy 2 spiderman books a month

BANNED

I like Double Shipping.

Still I will admit its the easiest way to increase market share, certainly the lowest risk method.

I'm long past thinking of comics as a "monthly" thing, so double shipping doesn't bother me in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    If we're still on the topic of double-shipping I like it. It's less of a wait for the stories I want to read. If I didn't think a book wasn't worth it I wouldn't buy it. I'm pretty sure most people who are actually enjoying the books Marvel is putting out feel the same way.
    I'm still talking about double shipping and was trying to respond to your other post. The nice thing about double shipping, especially if you aren't buying lots of books, is that id does help counter the decompression, especially when some stories take place in a few days in story, but take literately a whole year to be published.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4
    Actually, the issue is that Marvel's top-list dropped down to mid-list status. They currently lack any consistent top-list books. I'm not expecting any of their new books to stay above 70K over the next year, but we'll see.
    Isn't that more a case of sales dropping overall? The #1 DC52 shoved a lot of Marvel books down the list, but I think that's a temporary thing. What I mean by the mid-list, is the mini-series, and the 'average' selling non-franchise titles.

BANNED

Default DC undercuts Marvel in trade prices massively.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/51-n...ns-111109.html

When were paying at $16.99 at least for 5 issue trades from Marvel DC are putting theirs out for $14.99 for 6-7 issues.

Marvel also tend to put 4 issue trades out with reprinted material which makes this in my eyes a big step forward for the fans of collected editions.

Marvel need to look at their irregular trade pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerWannaBe View Post
    double shipping is a evil thing marvel does to steal your money? who knew

i thought it was just called increasing supply to meet demand.... or providing a product your customers like, which is proven by sales.

i think some of you people post from occupy rallies.. am i missing the brown shirted marvel thugs stationed in LCBS forcing people to buy 2 spiderman books a month
    Of course, you're right. It's entirely up to fans to decide if they want to pay $8 a month for their serialized story or if they'd rather just join the rest of ex-fans who stopped buying comics.

There are side effects to double shipping and many other of Marvel's newest business practices, which make me feel as if these are yet more short sighted business practices that will in the long run lose them money and more importantly, readers.

There's also plenty of discussion about sales and the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf View Post
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/51-n...ns-111109.html

When were paying at $16.99 at least for 5 issue trades from Marvel DC are putting theirs out for $14.99 for 6-7 issues.

Marvel also tend to put 4 issue trades out with reprinted material which makes this in my eyes a big step forward for the fans of collected editions.

Marvel need to look at their irregular trade pricing.
    This isn't really surprising. I mean, if DC is selling the floppies at $3, of course, the trades will be cheaper.

Plus, I don't like DC trades. The paper is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I'm still talking about double shipping and was trying to respond to your other post. The nice thing about double shipping, especially if you aren't buying lots of books, is that id does help counter the decompression, especially when some stories take place in a few days in story, but take literately a whole year to be published.
    Yup. The only real issue I have with double-shipping is art team switches, when they're not planned from the start.

Isn't that more a case of sales dropping overall? The #1 DC52 shoved a lot of Marvel books down the list, but I think that's a temporary thing. What I mean by the mid-list, is the mini-series, and the 'average' selling non-franchise titles.
    Ah. I think I understand what you're saying. Marvel really doesn't have as many non-franchise books as they used to. The re-branding of War Machine to Iron Man 2.0, never really made sense to me. If anything it just diminishes the value of the War Machine brand. What I hope Marvel is realizing, is that the franchise connection isn't enough to keep a book afloat anymore. Neither are events.

Honestly, I wish for just six months Marvel would cut advertising on the big titles and push the lower-selling, but critically well-received books. Kill the Architects nonsense, and give us interviews with the creators of the books that are actually working on a particular book. Start promoting the guys who make the smaller books successful.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Didnt Marvel raise the price of this stuff a long time ago?
    This isn't undercutting Marvel this is ..... selling it for the lower price they have for a while.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
    I like Double Shipping.

Still I will admit its the easiest way to increase market share, certainly the lowest risk method.
    I haven't looked at the numbers recently, but I don't think our double ships have increased our market share considerably. That'd be pretty facile, irresponsible planning considering the strains it puts on editorial and talent.

Market share is not the reason we do stuff like double shipping. Some fan have just made that up as a bogeyman to rally against.

However we do like to make more of the comics that the majority of people seem to want to buy. That is definitely part of the business plan.

SW