View Poll Results: What do you think of the Thinner Marvel covers?

Voters
10. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • I hate the thinner covers! i want the old format back!

5 50.00%
  • eh, no big deal!

1 10.00%
  • im not sure ive noticed

4 40.00%
Page 4 of 141 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

When it takes six or seven issues to tell a story that should only take three or four, I can see where shipping two issues a month is appealing...
    I've got a plan and it's here in my hand, a baton made of light.
    We're the enforcers, the sorceror's orphans, and we know why we fight.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerWannaBe View Post
    double shipping is a evil thing marvel does to steal your money? who knew

i thought it was just called increasing supply to meet demand.... or providing a product your customers like, which is proven by sales.

i think some of you people post from occupy rallies.. am i missing the brown shirted marvel thugs stationed in LCBS forcing people to buy 2 spiderman books a month
    Ignoring the tone of this post... some people actually have a limited budget they can spend on comics each month. This debate came up in the letter column for Avengers Academy a few months back. More issues of whatever title they buy meant the buyer had to either drop that book or another one each time they did this. This is a valid concern for some buyers.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coconutphone View Post
    Ignoring the tone of this post... some people actually have a limited budget they can spend on comics each month. This debate came up in the letter column for Avengers Academy a few months back. More issues of whatever title they buy meant the buyer had to either drop that book or another one each time they did this. This is a valid concern for some buyers.
    Exactly. If my favorite book of all is Amazing Spiderman and thats the only book I buy then I'm thrilled that its double shipping every month.

But how many of us buy only one book? How many of us are limited on how many books we can afford? If you can afford 20 books a month for example and five of them start double shipping that means you have to make decisions. Do you drop the bottom five books off your list? Do you drop the double shipped books?

Double shipping = dropped books in most cases except for those who have unlimited budgets or only collect a very very few books to begin with.
    Last edited by Chiasm; 11-09-2011 at 07:03 PM.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

I am enjoying the double shipping and I wish every title I like was released twice a month. While I understand some retailer concerns, the market share/flooding isnt really a concern of mine as a fan.

I buy what I like and can afford.

Honestly, I love double shipping.

Of course, I probably buy alot less than the average fan.

Marvel should double ship the good stuff and cut out the fluff like Avenging Spidey and Adjectiveless X-Men.

In general, fans need to buy less of the crap.

Also, of course double shipping is an attempt to get more of your money!

What isn't?
    Favorites: Jean Grey, Storm, The Wolverine, The Iceman, The Beast, The Rogue, Kid Omega, Oya, Broo, Kid Gladiator, Mags, Pryde
    The Diary of a Supa-Cool Nerd!

For me the cons to double shipping simply outweigh the pros.

I already get of plenty of books to occupy my time whilst I wait for the next issue of a monthly series. And I would much rather be able to try an issue of something new than have to buy two issues of a series I'm following.

And in the case of FF, the inconsistent art has really brought it down. I feel I was promised Steve Epting but have only seen him do something like three issues. Then from Epting we get Barry Kitson and Greg Tochini (I thought his issues were really messy). Going from Epting to Kitson alone is a HUGE tonal shift and just throws me off. In a situation like this I would MUCH, MUCH prefer to get one issue of FF a month so that Epting can be the primary artist and only have fill-ins when necessary.

Other than that, I still think it's ridiculous that we're paying $3.99 for 20 pages. Especially when the issues are already heavily decompressed.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    If we're still on the topic of double-shipping I like it. It's less of a wait for the stories I want to read. If I didn't think a book wasn't worth it I wouldn't buy it. I'm pretty sure most people who are actually enjoying the books Marvel is putting out feel the same way.
    I love getting two issues of Avengers Academy a month.

Quote Originally Posted by coconutphone View Post
    also some people don't have any money, there for selling comics is bad.

Default Something is amiss with Marvel (not a rant)

I have been seeing that for the past few years Marvel story telling has become too much pure superheroics with this enforced need to be do-gooders type of behavior that was never there originally. I am forced to watch DC take a step back,re-evaluate their properties,remove the "save the cat" out of tree mentality and mix new concepts with modern sensibilities.

With Marvel it is starting to feel like what DC used to be. Cyclops wants his team to now all of a sudden be the best superhero team and look good for the public?? Thor dying...again against a character in the serpent that did nothing throughout the series.

I feel that alot of properties need to be re-evaluated and looked at closely. I don't think a reset is needed. Just having now everyone be on the avengers as if though it's the latest clothing brand to own. Doesn't sit well...

I believe Jason Aaron and Chris Yost as well as Rick Remender really have good voices in their work. Mark Waid is killing it on DD. I just see that certain franchises need to be re-organized and into a certain direction that is beneficial.

Just not sure what changes would be needed to get it to that level.

How is this not a rant?

Quote Originally Posted by love2beyou View Post
    I have been seeing that for the past few years Marvel story telling has become too much pure superheroics with this enforced need to be do-gooders type of behavior that was never there originally. I am forced to watch DC take a step back,re-evaluate their properties,remove the "save the cat" out of tree mentality and mix new concepts with modern sensibilities.

With Marvel it is starting to feel like what DC used to be. Cyclops wants his team to now all of a sudden be the best superhero team and look good for the public?? Thor dying...again against a character in the serpent that did nothing throughout the series.

I feel that alot of properties need to be re-evaluated and looked at closely. I don't think a reset is needed. Just having now everyone be on the avengers as if though it's the latest clothing brand to own. Doesn't sit well...

I believe Jason Aaron and Chris Yost as well as Rick Remender really have good voices in their work. Mark Waid is killing it on DD. I just see that certain franchises need to be re-organized and into a certain direction that is beneficial.

Just not sure what changes would be needed to get it to that level.
    Totally agree with you. Marvel is very much starting to feel like what DC used to be. The Marvel I knew in the late 70s/early 80s and again in the late 90s/early 00s was very dynamic and aggressive. Say what you will about Jim Shooter and Bill Jemas, but they pushed Marvel to break new ground creatively, to take more chances and produce bolder books.

I agree with you even more about Mark Waid's Daredevil. If Marvel has even an ounce of the provocative innovation they used to do so well, they'll give Waid more titles to helm. He's doing one of the best runs of DD in the past 30 years; no joke.

It can be fairly said that maybe Marvel doesn't need to do their own reboot. But you are absolutely right when you say that properties need to be re-evaluated, franchises need to be reorganized and a closer look with a new direction is desperately needed.

Thanks for this post.

Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

Default The 20 Page Discussion

Continuing on from previous threads (here and here to name some), here's an update on which of this week's books were 20 pages.

There were 15 regular sized books from Marvel this week; 6 at the $2.99 price point and 9 at the $3.99 price point. I have page counts for 14 of those (I'm missing Northinger Abbey #1 if anyone wants to share), and of those 14 1 book had 22 pages (Avenging Spider-Man #1/$3.99) and all the rest had 20 (or 19 and a bit in the case of Fear Itself #7.2/Thor if you want to get technical, but let's just round to 20 for a simple life).

FYI, the 15 books are: BATTLE SCARS #1, BLACK PANTHER MOST DANGEROUS MAN ALIVE #525, GHOST RIDER #5, JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #631, MAGNETO NOT A HERO #1, X-MEN LEGACY #258, AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #1, FEAR ITSELF #7.2 JOHN CARTER OF MARS WORLD OF MARS #2, NEW AVENGERS #18, NORTHANGER ABBEY #1, PUNISHERMAX #19, ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #4, UNCANNY X-FORCE #17, and WOLVERINE #18.

I'll do a full numbercrunching next week for the first three weeks of November.

And BleedingCool has reported that next week's Incredible Hulk #2 will also be 20 pages.
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

I don't object to the concept of Double Shipping in general. More story per month is always a good thing.

The issue I have is purely down to money.

We're going through one of the toughest financial recessions in a good 20 years at least, and every one of us is feeling the pinch at one end or other, as companies stop bonuses and cut out annual cost of living increaes. We're all a bit poorer than we were three years back.

I do buy a fair number of Marvel titles every month. But while I'm very tough on limiting the NUMBER of titles I purchase, I know that I am paying out considerably more a month now than I was even this time last year.

And in part that comes down to a couple more books now pricing in at $3.99 instead of $2.99, a fair chunk of it is down to double shipping of more than one title I order. It does make a difference. And this month I've decided I need to start culling Marvel titles from my monthly pull lst, because I just cannot afford it. It's getting out of hand, now.

Another example which annoys a little, is Fear Itself. I budgeted to at least pick up the central series. I couldn't stump up for tie-in minis. To find that the final issue of that central series suddenly coes in at an extra $1 is frustrating. As is three extra issues in the form .1, .2 and .3 issues.

Yes, I'm not obliged to buy them. But to finish a story a lot of readers will.

And I have to wonder how many of them will drop a smaller title this month to afford them.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by Nova2814.1 View Post
    Continuing on from previous threads (here and here to name some), here's an update on which of this week's books were 20 pages.

There were 15 regular sized books from Marvel this week; 6 at the $2.99 price point and 9 at the $3.99 price point. I have page counts for 14 of those (I'm missing Northinger Abbey #1 if anyone wants to share), and of those 14 1 book had 22 pages (Avenging Spider-Man #1/$3.99) and all the rest had 20 (or 19 and a bit in the case of Fear Itself #7.2/Thor if you want to get technical, but let's just round to 20 for a simple life).

FYI, the 15 books are: BATTLE SCARS #1, BLACK PANTHER MOST DANGEROUS MAN ALIVE #525, GHOST RIDER #5, JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #631, MAGNETO NOT A HERO #1, X-MEN LEGACY #258, AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #1, FEAR ITSELF #7.2 JOHN CARTER OF MARS WORLD OF MARS #2, NEW AVENGERS #18, NORTHANGER ABBEY #1, PUNISHERMAX #19, ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #4, UNCANNY X-FORCE #17, and WOLVERINE #18.

I'll do a full numbercrunching next week for the first three weeks of November.

And BleedingCool has reported that next week's Incredible Hulk #2 will also be 20 pages.
    I think if Marvel's going to reduce page counts, say should lop $0.50 off the cover price. While it doesn't take it down to $2.99, it's still more appetizing than $3.99.

Although it's not substantial enough to necessarily increase sales, it's at least a good will gesture. More books are sliding towards $3.99. The ones that don't are the ones they don't have a lot of faith to bring that many readers in. If Academy could sell 70K a month, I wouldn't be surprised to see Marvel bump the price up on that.
    Last edited by BrotherUnitNo_4; 11-10-2011 at 04:23 AM.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Double shipping is a problem for consumers, though it's possible Marvel makes up the difference easily.

ASM is an $8 a month committment for the same writer and rotating artists. $8 a month for the same voice and same arcs.

If I put $8 a month toward the Batman line, on the other hand, I can get two of the books with different creative teams and storylines. And I'll have $2 left over. And I can pick and choose which I prefer, because they're not connected in such a way that it's all or nothing.

I can't exactly buy one issue of ASM a month...
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    Double shipping is a problem for consumers, though it's possible Marvel makes up the difference easily.

ASM is an $8 a month committment for the same writer and rotating artists. $8 a month for the same voice and same arcs.

If I put $8 a month toward the Batman line, on the other hand, I can get two of the books with different creative teams and storylines. And I'll have $2 left over. And I can pick and choose which I prefer, because they're not connected in such a way that it's all or nothing.

I can't exactly buy one issue of ASM a month...
    Which is probably just fine, as long as one enjoys the story being told (which, in the case of Amazing Spider-Man, quite a few people do).
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.