View Poll Results: What do you think of the Thinner Marvel covers?

Voters
10. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • I hate the thinner covers! i want the old format back!

5 50.00%
  • eh, no big deal!

1 10.00%
  • im not sure ive noticed

4 40.00%
Page 6 of 141 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Given that his name's been in all the adverts posted in the comics themselves, that's kind of their own fault.
    But despite all that advertising, some people still didn't know.

On the other hand, the release schedules aren't advertised in the comics, so the general reading population can't be blamed for not knowing beforehand that there are, for example, two issues of Wolverine or Uncanny X-Force this month.

In any case, anyone making an actual comics budget (as opposed to just checking their wallet before they go to the store each week) is by definition planning ahead, and therefore either following the solicits, checking the calendar on Marvel's website, or finding either/both of those resources via Google. Anyone not doing those things is half-assing it, and again, I can't get too worked up over their plight. It's certainly not Marvel's responsibility to make sure people plan their purchases responsibly.
    Comics are a luxury item, so it's not a reader's responsibility to buy the product in the first place. A publisher can make the planning a bit easier by letting readers know IN the comic they buy.
    Last edited by Nova2814.1; 11-10-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    Double shipping is a problem for consumers, though it's possible Marvel makes up the difference easily.

ASM is an $8 a month committment for the same writer and rotating artists. $8 a month for the same voice and same arcs.

If I put $8 a month toward the Batman line, on the other hand, I can get two of the books with different creative teams and storylines. And I'll have $2 left over. And I can pick and choose which I prefer, because they're not connected in such a way that it's all or nothing.

I can't exactly buy one issue of ASM a month...
    Exactly. We arent talking about 2.99 we're talking about a pointlessly bloated 3.99 twice a month. I have a family, house and savings to think of. If Marvel doesnt accomadate people like me then I will just not pick up the title. Shame we cant tell how many people dont pick up ASM because of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova2814.1 View Post
    But despite all that advertising, some people still didn't know.
    Some people can't find their own backside with both hands and a map. Sometimes people's ignorance is their own damn fault.

On the other hand, the release schedules aren't advertised in the comics, so the general reading population can't be blamed for not knowing beforehand that there are, for example, two issues of Wolverine or Uncanny X-Force this month.
    I think you underestimate the amount of the general reading population with Internet access and the ability to type "marvel.com" into a web browser.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Gumaro9977 View Post
    Exactly. We arent talking about 2.99 we're talking about a pointlessly bloated 3.99 twice a month.
    Not on a monthly basis. From what I can find, Marvel's talk about double-shipping, and all of their walk that I've seen, is about doing two issues a month a few times a year. ASM is something of an anomaly.

And I have to say, Marvel has probably figured in the cost of people refusing to buy books that double-ship, and concluded that it won't have much of an effect. Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by love2beyou View Post
    I have been seeing that for the past few years Marvel story telling has become too much pure superheroics with this enforced need to be do-gooders type of behavior that was never there originally. I am forced to watch DC take a step back,re-evaluate their properties,remove the "save the cat" out of tree mentality and mix new concepts with modern sensibilities.

With Marvel it is starting to feel like what DC used to be. Cyclops wants his team to now all of a sudden be the best superhero team and look good for the public?? Thor dying...again against a character in the serpent that did nothing throughout the series.

I feel that alot of properties need to be re-evaluated and looked at closely. I don't think a reset is needed. Just having now everyone be on the avengers as if though it's the latest clothing brand to own. Doesn't sit well...

I believe Jason Aaron and Chris Yost as well as Rick Remender really have good voices in their work. Mark Waid is killing it on DD. I just see that certain franchises need to be re-organized and into a certain direction that is beneficial.

Just not sure what changes would be needed to get it to that level.
    Thor died? How come nobody talked about it?

I'll also note that the Thunderbolts issues I've read this year have all said either "next month" or "in two weeks" on the next-issue page, depending on when the next issue was coming out. And the Avengers and Hulk lines have been putting release dates for the next month's worth of comics on their next issue pages for a while, too.

Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

I think you underestimate the amount of the general reading population with Internet access and the ability to type "marvel.com" into a web browser.
    I think you overestimate the accuracy of Marvel's website This week's listings include Incredible Hulk #2 (not out until next week) and...

Incredible Hulks #640.

I'd pick that up, but this is the first I've heard of it and I haven't budgeted for it .

At the end of the day, comics are luxury items. If a publisher is increasing publication on an irregular basis, then it can't hurt to give readers as much notice as possible in as many places as possible.
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

Quote Originally Posted by sethysquare View Post
    He'll still be appearing in his own book in the afterlife or wherever he went.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    Yeah, which is why I pointed out that Marvel probably makes the difference pretty easily. You can sell more books to fewer people and still make a better profit.

I do think it would be wise to have an entry level Spider-Man book priced at $3. AvSM is $4, so....
    However, there can be something said to ensuring that you sell more books to more people.

It's fine for the short run, as long as there are people willing to buy. But in chrunch time, there's not much of a buffer if things go bad and people stop buying. Sure, you can make more selling the same book released twice a month to a smaller group of fans who are willing to shell out for it. But if some of those fans have to drop the book for whatever reason, it's going to cause a greater bump in the overall sales as opposed to if it was a larger group only buying once a month. It's nice for the short term, but I don't think the system should be dependant upon it. Which I think is part of the problem with Marvel these days, in that their policies seem very short sighted to me, in that they will have short term gain but don't seem sustainable for the long term. Especially if they have started to cannibalize themselves to stay profitable.

He's being really stubborn about it and won't accept it.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    He'll still be appearing in his own book in the afterlife or wherever he went.
    I think mainly cos no one really cared since he'll be resurrected at around next year. Or has he resurrected alr?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    LOL.
    But no seriously, so are they cancelling his ongoing now?

LOL.
    But no seriously, so are they cancelling his ongoing now?
    I have no idea. Honestly no longer care one way or the other.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

BANNED

Also, when the other big death in the event is revealed to have not-happened as well, it's hard to get worked up about Thor's death. Especially since it's likely he'll return as well, probably in time for the Avenger's movie.

I have no idea. Honestly no longer care one way or the other.
    The only thing I know is that ifanboy said fear itself was so bad they stopped reading at issue 3. I believe the quality of x books now are much better than the avengers books. Only if UXF comes in 2.99 I'd love to support team blue.