Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: When Words Collide - Nov 7, 2011

Tim takes aim at the shortfalls of Dynamite's "Kirby: Genesis" project and points to what makes post-Kirby projects succeed or fail. How does the first issue of the upcoming "Silver Star" series fare?

Full article here.

I so want the Kirby:Genesis line to work. But it's painful at times because for me, it's not even that the fantastic is being brought down to our level instead of the other way around (even though that is a huge deal). It's missing the bombast. Whenever something fantastic happens/shows up in a Kirby comic, it's all there in the art and everything you need to get excited about it is right there on the page. But then, there's that punctuation in dialogue or caption that puts it over even more, overselling it and none of that is here. It's like here's something really cool but then it's muted rather than ramped up to 11 like a good Kirby comic does.

For me, if you're going to do a Kirby character/universe, you have to go all in and lay it on the line, Kirby imitation or not. Because Jack had such a unique voice/vision, anytime the writer doesn't service Kirby's sensebilities is going to take away from the characters/story. The fullspeed ahead pacing of the book is like Kirby, but the drama isn't ramped, the mini-climax beats aren't being hit. And last but not least, the grandness of the story isn't being hit. The last page of K:G #3, with the faces in the mountain don't seem as grand (or perhaps big enough or scaled up enough would be better) as Kirby would've done it. Kirby would've had that thing scaled five times that size.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

I haven't read all the Kirby Genesis stuff, but what I have read has disappointed me, too.

I think Giffen and DiDio have done the best job of channeling Jack with their OMAC book because they've kept that over-the-top sense of grandeur mixed with sheer enjoyment. It has that sense of revelatory weirdness and worlds within worlds that look so different from our own because they work so differently on a fundamental level.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

I'm in my late thirties and am really just scratching the surface on "all things Kirby". I have much of his Fantastic Four - through Marvel's Essential volumes, and recently completed his Fourth World saga & OMAC Omnibus. Just last week I picked up Kamandi Omnibus, Vol 1. The great thing about just discovering Kirby is the amount of content he's produced that's recently made it's way back into print in a variety of "collectable" and "more affordable" formats.

How did I "discover" Kirby? Obviously everyone knows Kirby, but I never felt compelled to actually go out of my way and read it. Oddly enough I chose to pick up Kirby works though Godland. I picked up the first few trades and then decided to go right to the "source" (or "inspiration" is probably a better word). At the same time Mike Carey began a run on Ultimate Fantastic Four and referenced the Lee/Kirby work there as a huge influence on him. I hadn't read Fantastic Four before picking up Mike's issues. So I started there and, being more of a "DC guy", moved to The Fourth World Saga when DC reprinted those. Come to think of it...I still have alot of FF stuff to read including the famed Galactus storyline.

I'm in the position of still having so much source material to discover that I don't yet feel the need to pick up new adaptations of Kirby's creations (except the new OMAC...I'm loving that series! Buy a copy or download one today!).

I agree with quite a bit of what is said, at least in theory. However, I find Kirby: Genesis to be one of the best comics on the market right now because it does capture the spirit of possibility and wonder that is inherent in so much of Kirby's work. Is it the way Kirby would have wrote it? No. But, no one really is able to quite pull that off anyways. And, that way lies being a pastiche, a work that is more about being a recreation or an artifact than trying to tell stories to the best of your abilities while remaining true to the characters and concepts.

I don't condemn Brubaker's Cap for not being like Simon & Kirby or Lee & Kirby. Various writers of the Black Panther have received critical praise for their work on the character, despite being very un-Kirby. The Demon's most popular run was not like what Kirby produced. Goodwin and Simonson's Manhunter was also very different from the various Kirby takes.

I'd like to see the stories work in more of what made Kirby's work stand out, where it succeeded. But, I also want to see a solid story that doesn't read like a pastiche or parody. Be true to the characters and write a solid story that fires the imagination. And, there, I think Busiek is succeeding.

As far as Omac, it makes use of Kirby names and concepts. It has an artist who is shamelessly aping Kirby's style (yet who is on the record for supporting the trashing of Kirby's concepts and characters, that they are old hat). It's cashing in on Kirby's genius every step of the way EXCEPT for being true to the actual character himself. Pass. I'll take Kirby: Genesis over it any day of the week.

I'm all over the place with this great column, finding myself agreeing with much of it but I want to like this effort. I tried Genesis 0 and #1 and was bored by them so I spent September and October re-reading all of my Kirby Omnibuses and the Silver Star hardback. I re-read the Topps Kirbyverse start to finish a few weeks ago and as bad as it was, I still liked it. I decided to give the Busiek/Ross effort another and found that I liked it better. I would prefer a Tom Scioli or Keith Giffen doing the artwork but I find that I still like the untapped potential in the characters. According to everything that I've ever read, Jack Kirby wanted to create the concepts and designs and pass the creations on to other artists and writers. Plus he didn't want them doing it just like him. So I will (at least in the short term) buy Kirby: Genesis and it's spinoffs. By the way, OMAC is my favorite of the new 52 because of the Kirby vibe.

While I haven't hated Kirby: Genesis, I did expect it to be more majestic than it is so far. It needs to have some big expansive fun ideas, and so far I haven't really seen them.

I avoided the new Silver Star like the plague for just the reason you listed. Desjardins can make any book look terrible, but Dynamite really seems high on his art style. I would have preferred to see James Fry return to the character after his one excellent issue at Topps.
    Writer/editor of Metahuman Press
    New Super-Powered Fiction Every Week!

At first I had similar feelings about Kirby-Genesis but now I really enjoy it. I'm glad it doesn't 'ape' Kirby because now I get to think of Kirby ideas in a different way.I find it a lot of fun,a quality that is missing in some books. I'm not the biggest Ross fan but what he brings to this project is epic. And again in a way that I didn't expect.The fact that the Genesis books are so different than I expected his a huge plus for me. As much as I enjoy Godland and Omac (DCnu) I am happy to see a different approach. I don't think Rude and ME's book "rang true" at all so you and I migtht not agree on to much about Kirby. Oh and calling Kirby's Silver Star a must own book is pretty much a joke. I love Kirby but that one of his worst books period.