Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Well for those of us who still like this book, i thought last issue was quite good. The eeriness factor in Broken Toyland is creepier than Mr Dark for me. And I like the dichotomy of Tiger Mountbatten. Plus Mark and Steve's art has never looked better.

I thought the last issue was good as well. Toyland is a horrible place and I like the fact that it only has toy food. Mostly though, I find myself not having a lot to talk about until the end of the story arcs these days.

I totally loved the way Lily saved Bufkin as well. I didn't see the how coming but it was a great Chekhov's gun.

Im reading the main series by trades so I've only read up to the end of Superteam. I just finished the second cinderella mini and it got me thinking about the Homelands and i've got some questions that i doubt anyone's got a definite answer but here goes. Were the founders of Fabletown come from the mundy England and relocate to America because it was a good place to start a private colony or did the european fables come to the mundy world through a doorway that led them into America? Also, Dorothy is from Americana originally but she fled from Oz to the mundy, but The Wizard of Oz is an american story, so wouldn't you be able to get to it from americana? I guess a general question would be is there any rhyme or reason when it comes to what world connects to what? Like would Wonderland be an extension of Albion since those stories are from england?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by justinalba89 View Post
    Im reading the main series by trades so I've only read up to the end of Superteam. I just finished the second cinderella mini and it got me thinking about the Homelands and i've got some questions that i doubt anyone's got a definite answer but here goes. Were the founders of Fabletown come from the mundy England and relocate to America because it was a good place to start a private colony or did the european fables come to the mundy world through a doorway that led them into America? Also, Dorothy is from Americana originally but she fled from Oz to the mundy, but The Wizard of Oz is an american story, so wouldn't you be able to get to it from americana? I guess a general question would be is there any rhyme or reason when it comes to what world connects to what? Like would Wonderland be an extension of Albion since those stories are from england?
    I believe many came from Europe. We do see hints of this in the Wolf/Snow White short story where she's asking him to come to the new city of Amsterdam. They were there at least as early as the beginnings of New Amsterdam IIRC. There is no evidence given of them being there earlier than that.

As for the gateways, there really has never been any definite details given on them as far as where exactly the gateways are or which worlds they connect to directly. We know vaguely of the one in Canada, as an example, and that it connects to a backwater Empire world.

New Member Shpongolese_Hullabaloo's Avatar

Default Are any of the Fables spin-offs worth reading?

Meaning:

Jack of Fables
    Cinderella: Fables Are Forever
    Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love
    Fairest
    Peter & Max: A Fables Novel

Oh, and btw, I've already read 1001 Nights of Snowfall.

Jack was for the first 25 issues or so, but then the Great Fables Crossover happened and the self-conciously goofy tone the book had was lost.

The Cinderella spin-offs are both good.

Haven't read Peter and Max or Fairest.

Personally I think they're all great. Jack of Fables was a great companion book, and I loved its last couple of arcs. Cinderella is just good spy thriller stuff (with a Fables twist). And Fairest is essential Fables reading as it spins right out of the main book.

Can't comment on Peter & Max.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 05-09-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Duplicate Post

Just my two cents:

• For the Cinderella series, I liked From Fabletown with Love much more than Fables are Forever.
    • I read Peter & Max before I ever read any Fables issues. I thought it was OK; I'd say go for it if you want a change of pace (from reading comics/graphic novels) but it's nothing spectacular.
    • I've been reading Fairest but it's only been three issues so far so it's hard to form a strong opinion of it (at least for me).

Overall, of the things I've read, I'd definitely recommend the two Cinderella mini-series the most in terms of pure enjoyment. But, as stated above, Fairest is the one that is most closely tied to the main Fables storyline so you may say that it is a better choice because of its importance.

I think the series has been picking up a lot as late. I like the new focus on the Bigby/Snow kids that's going on and the implications of the prediction Ambrose received.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
    I think the series has been picking up a lot as late. I like the new focus on the Bigby/Snow kids that's going on and the implications of the prediction Ambrose received.
    Sadly, I can't agree at all. I can't believe I'm saying this but when the current arc ends (which will be when? 2015?), I think I will be done with the book. I guess there's a reason why most of Vertigo's classic titles (save for Hellblazer but that title is basically reinvented with each new writer) are limited in length.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

There has not been a time I have not enjoyed this book, some arcs are better then others but overall I love this book. The Toyland arc has been very interesting so far and in many ways creepy I cant wait to see what happenes next. The Oz plot is great as well and how its structured leaves me wanting just a little bit more ever week.

Quote Originally Posted by Samorai_black View Post
    There has not been a time I have not enjoyed this book, some arcs are better then others but overall I love this book. The Toyland arc has been very interesting so far and in many ways creepy I cant wait to see what happenes next. The Oz plot is great as well and how its structured leaves me wanting just a little bit more ever week.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Personally I think they're all great. Jack of Fables was a great companion book, and I loved its last couple of arcs. Cinderella is just good spy thriller stuff (with a Fables twist). And Fairest is essential Fables reading as it spins right out of the main book.

Can't comment on Peter & Max.
    Does much of what happen in Jack of Fables effect Fables in any way? I'm up to vol 10 The Good Prince story.
    Upcoming artist or writer? Want somewhere to share your work? Welcome to the Artists and Writers Showcase!!

Quote Originally Posted by alf_to_the_rescue View Post
    Does much of what happen in Jack of Fables effect Fables in any way? I'm up to vol 10 The Good Prince story.
    Mostly in the crossover (Vol 13) but you get the basics in the crossover volume.