Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Fury View Post
    Great Fables Crossover. Ugh, weakest installment so far. Please tell me it improves after this.
    Yes, the Crossover was very weak and it does get better after that.
    Last edited by edhopper; 01-13-2013 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    the dark and disturbing Toyland story.

Yes, the Cubs in Toyland arc was a disturbing one, but it won me back as a fan of the series, so job well done, I must admit.

It seems that beside the first, we now know who the third*, fourth* and seventh** (or sixth?) child of the prophecy are. ;)

Does anyone know whether the spinoffs (the 2 Cinderella minis, the Werevolves OGN and Fairest) will be included in the Deluxe hardcovers like 1001 Nights of Snowfall?

* #114-121
    ** #122-123
    Last edited by passer-by; 01-13-2013 at 12:43 AM.

How long do you think Fables will run. I think ultimately it is up to Bill but could we see 250, 300 issues?

Wanderer of Kildre Hill eDKeener's Avatar

I just recently started re-reading from the beginning. And reading for the first time some of the issues I had missed in my collection. Up to issue 36 or so now, and I gotta say this is one of the best series I've ever read. I haven't read anything that has come out recently but if it stays as strong as the first 3 years of issues have been....it's going to be amazing!

Also very much looking forward to Fables Con soon.

I got quite turned off by Fables V1. Everyone else raves about it - but I simply couldn't get into it. Am I doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dork View Post
    I got quite turned off by Fables V1. Everyone else raves about it - but I simply couldn't get into it. Am I doing it wrong?
    You should keep going. For some it gets better.
    BB

Wanderer of Kildre Hill eDKeener's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dork View Post
    I'll be honest and I love the series. The first two arcs were the hardest for me to get through. The 3rd one was where it really got good for me and has just been fantastic since. The first two were really about establishing the two place in Fables; Fabletown and The Farm, and introducing tons of characters to us all at once. Once that's done it got so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by betterliving View Post
    I just picked up Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile New Edition and it was a great read. What I'm wondering is are they going to be releasing the rest of the volumes in new editions as well? I'm assuming they are since Hellblazer is also being released in new editions. Does anyone know when the second volume will be released?
    I am wondering about this too. Anyone have any info?

Quote Originally Posted by betterliving View Post
    I just picked up Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile New Edition and it was a great read. What I'm wondering is are they going to be releasing the rest of the volumes in new editions as well? I'm assuming they are since Hellblazer is also being released in new editions. Does anyone know when the second volume will be released?

Is it just a new cover? I lent the first three trades to someone awhile ago and am now slightly worried about never getting them back. If i were to buy three new trades would they have different content or just a new front cover?

Vol. 1: New Edition has the same 5 chapters (Legends in Exile story), "A Wolf in the Fold" short story and "The Price of a Happy Ending" short comic. There are also some previews for Vol. 2 and Fairest. I'm not sure what extra stuff was in the old edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebob View Post
    Vol. 1: New Edition has the same 5 chapters (Legends in Exile story), "A Wolf in the Fold" short story and "The Price of a Happy Ending" short comic. There are also some previews for Vol. 2 and Fairest. I'm not sure what extra stuff was in the old edition.
    Thanks for the info! If I remember correctly it just had "A wolf in the fold" story in back.

I've only read Fairest and Fables from 100 and on so I have some questions for you guys about the latest Fairest arc. Rapunzel used to be in the Hidden Kingdom and that was when she left all those bezoars in the well. So how is that same well in present day Japan? Wouldn't she need to have gone through a portal to reach the Hidden Kingdom again? Or did some aspects of the Homeland get transferred over to our world?

Quote Originally Posted by joegeek View Post
    How long do you think Fables will run. I think ultimately it is up to Bill but could we see 250, 300 issues?
    We need a Hellblazer length run for it. There are literally nearly limitless story ideas.
    "Mistah Joker, he dead."

So an upcoming arc has Rose trying to recreate a/the round table. Who do you think will be on it? (and why)

Fables is the first comic that I picked up the first issue of and started to follow. I followed it for close to thirty issues. Then I thought I'd trade wait it, starting with "The Mean Season", but despite thinking that was one of the stronger arcs I didn't keep up. I kept meaning to and finally got around to reading through "War and Pieces". And after this I can safely say that it is a comic that I wanted to love but didn't.

On the main DC board I mentioned that I hate Bigby and Snow White as a couple and that really is closely tied to what I don't like about the series. Willingham doesn't write women as people (the closest exception is Rose Red, but as I never got to her trade I can't comment much on that). Most of the time it felt like Snow White's purpose in the stories was to be ignorant and ask questions getting a lot of expository dialogue and bear Bigby's cubs. The latter is even written so that whether or not she wants them doesn't matter. She is vaguely ambivalent about it but that only serves so that the North Wind can show up and teach her to be a parent. As for Bigby he is some macho fantasy that I find completely alienating. Nothing he does is acknowledged as wrong and his bad guy past is mostly alluded to remind us that he is a bad ass. Also despite lying to Snow White about the circumstances in which their cubs were conceived he get's to show how not rapey that is by getting angry over Ichabob Crane having rape fantasies about Snow White. There are some similar problems with the Beauty and the Beast relationship especially in their roles as deputy mayor and sheriff (also Beauty is portrayed as shrewish and willing to cheat on her husband who is generally a great guy, just not as great as Bigby). The most explicit rape in the story is the Blue Fairy by Gepetto and the Blue Fairy is never treated as more than a tool regardless of her violation.

Which gets into the politics. I'm a liberal and Willingham is a conservative and sometimes that just makes reading it like having my religion insulted. He keeps saying that the Deputy Mayor is the power behind the thrown but really Bigby and later the Beast are running some creepy police state stuff, and not once did I feel I was supposed to think this was creepy. I also hated the "mundy world military might is greater than magic" solution to the confrontation with Gepetto. It was a love letter to war machines that sort of felt like kicking the face of why I'm attracted to fairy tales.

I bring this up now because I am nervous about the upcoming cross over with The Unwritten. I love The Unwritten as much as I wanted to love Fables when I started reading. The idea of the crossover makes me feel like The Unwritten will be tainted. I can only hope that it's short.

So I wrote this hoping to find someone with a similar reaction to these. Sorry if I brought too much negativity to the thread, I just really need someone to talk to about it.