Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

alright. i've been reading this series since its inception, but recently re-read the entire thing to date (#1-118). some random, quick thoughts:

the mister dark stuff came off better reading it over the span of a few days, as opposed to 2+ years. i think my problem with the arc originally was that it just would not end; obviously, that wasn't the case the second time through .

do i think the series has suffered since war and pieces? ehhh... it's different. it lacks direction, i think. but i don't think it's bad. obviously, direction wasn't a problem from #1-75. but since the empire fell, it just seems like willingham is trying to figure out what story to tell, and is throwing a lot at us to see what sticks. the main cast was the focus for awhile, but suddenly we've gotten two straight storyarcs with the bigby cubs, and it's taken, like, a year in real time for the main cast to go from haven to the farm back to fabletown/castle dark. the pan ozian empire had entire issues devoted to it, then disappeared completely, then returned as a back-up. i'm not even sure what's going with rose red at the moment. and again i would stress that i'm still a fan of the series; it's just different.

the current toyland arc has been very good. creepy, even.

my favorite arc was, and remains, homelands.

willingham can build a lot of intrigue into a story, and he can certainly build the stakes, but between the empire falling (war and pieces), fly's invulnerability (the good prince), mr. north beating mister dark like a rented mule (wasn't mister dark built up to be THE ancient power in the universe?) and perhaps other's i'm merely forgetting at the moment, i often find myself dissatisfied with the conclusions to some of his biggest arcs. it all happens so easily for the fables at the end, despite what appeared to be insurmountable odds just an issue or two prior.

the great fables crossover was still pretty terrible.

for his next spinoff series, i would totally buy a comic devoted to life in the various worlds affected by the fallen empire. some of willingham's best stuff has come from one-or-two issue stories centered in the empire: rodney and june, dunster happ, the war council, the most recent one where that general was creating princes left and right in order to revive briar rose (and yes, i know briar rose's story continues in fairest; i'm only an issue into that series, though).
    Last edited by Adset; 07-31-2012 at 10:38 PM.

I picked up a translated tpb of the first Fables volume in my local grocery store. It was only 4,- and I thought "why not give it a try"? I'm really bothered by the translation, which is horrible. But here I'm reading this comic is really awesome? Should I give it another try?

Quote Originally Posted by XBWillem View Post
    I picked up a translated tpb of the first Fables volume in my local grocery store. It was only €4,- and I thought "why not give it a try"? I'm really bothered by the translation, which is horrible. But here I'm reading this comic is really awesome? Should I give it another try?
    Just recently started reading Fables in deluxe editions and really enjoying the books. You can get the first three deluxe editions cheapo at cheap-comics.com for just 15 euro each now. So I'd say give it another try. And just out of curiosity which grocery store sells trades, albeit badly translated?

For a story about toys, this is one of the darkest Fable story arcs ever. The last pages were heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Just recently started reading Fables in deluxe editions and really enjoying the books. You can get the first three deluxe editions cheapo at cheap-comics.com for just 15 euro each now. So I'd say give it another try. And just out of curiosity which grocery store sells trades, albeit badly translated?
    Woops and sorry for slow response.

I bought it at my local Albert Heijn. There was this crate full of books that didn't sell well enough and they cost like 4-8 euros.

And thanks for the tip, I'll try the English collections.

I stopped reading after the Good Prince but have picked up the TPBs again. I hope I enjoy the re-reading this series.

I'm sure loads of people have answered you, but yes you could read the Cinders minis without going back to Fables and you don't need to read Jack either
    I went from Watchmen, to Sandman to Lucifer to Fables and onto Y and I love them all. Willingham will always be impressive to me because his writing works with fairy tales and that is one of my favourite subjects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    Once upon a time I was a religious Fables fan and consumed every Fables and Jack of Fables TPB that I could come across. But I stopped at The Dark Ages when my favorite character was put to bed in the finale of that TPB. I just lost the will to continue after that(Americana happened to be my last Jack TPB).

This was also the time that I discovered Vaughan titles like Y and Ex Machina and suddenly, Willingham's writing didn't seem all that impressive anymore (and when directly compared to BKV, all the sexist and stereotypical aspects of Willingham's work suddenly shone like oil spilled garbage washed upon shore). Now I didn't set out to deliberately compare the two writers, it just so happened that I immediately started to read Y post The Dark Ages. After getting spoiled by Vaughan's brilliant characterizations, I just didn't have any desire to revisit Fabletown (or The Farm rather because that was where I last left the Fables). Also, in order to get back, I needed to get 3 TPBs (2 Jack TPBs and 1 Fables)in quick succession as I quit just before the cross-over. I just felt it was too much effort and too much investment with not enough pay off.

Wanted to ask you guys whether it is worth plunging back into the series. Will I be able to enjoy the cross-over TPB if I don't follow upon Jack and the Literals post Americana? Also, I felt the series had past its prime (for me it was the Animal Farm to Homelands era, though I was intrigued by the Hansel character and the two war-centric TPBs which came after). Is anything after The Dark Ages as strong in quality as the TPBs I mentioned? One of the main reasons I want to return is for all the Roberson penned Cinderella related spin-off minis. Could I directly pick From Fabletown, With Love off the racks and understand what is going on without reading the cross-over and the Fables TPBs which came after? Questions, questions.

The Toyland finale in issue #121 was heartbreaking. This was one of the most gloomy story arcs ever in Fables. That is not a criticism, just an observation. It was really heart rending, but very well done.
    Bigby and Snow are facing some very harsh news from their now grown daughter.
    To counter the other Fable thread going on. This is still an engaging series, with strong characters. And that isn't even including the wonderful Oz stuff in the back.

I agree with edhopper 100% I did not think Willingham would do what he in this arc and at the end I was hoping for some sign of good news. Readers have said that Fables has lost purpose or has no real plot but for me that does not matter one bit because I am interested in reading good stories and that is what Fables gives me every month without fail.

I wasn't a huge fan of the way the Good Prince and War & Pieces turned out but I really liked the Dark Ages. I feel like it was definitely time for a new villain.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

I just picked up Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile New Edition and it was a great read. What I'm wondering is are they going to be releasing the rest of the volumes in new editions as well? I'm assuming they are since Hellblazer is also being released in new editions. Does anyone know when the second volume will be released?

Might have to catch up and start reading the trades again. Fables has been getting some of it's praise back recently. Willingham much finally know where he wants to go.

#124 was just wonderful. A beautiful, uplifting finale to the ongoing Bufkin (and Lilly) backup. Especially welcome after the dark and disturbing Toyland story.

Great Fables Crossover. Ugh, weakest installment so far. Please tell me it improves after this.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

Been out of commission for some months now and just picking my reading up around 100

We're should "Werewolves in the Heartland" be placed in reading order?